“Great formula for success”
Review of Bar Corvo

Bar Corvo
Ranked #458 of 5,552 Restaurants in Brooklyn
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Beef tongue "french fries" - one need look no further on the menu to find decadence. How can you make beef tongue (a rather porous tissue) taste so good? Man - they really hit the ball out of the park on those "fries."

Bar Corvo is a great place for a relaxing dinner (nice patio area) and/or a late night business meeting. The hipness factor is not so overwhelming that you feel out of place if you're not one of the NYC elite.

Went with a good buddy and had a great, eclectic meal - all at a very reasonable price point.

If I had one complaint - the wine list is a bit weak and a little underwhelming. It would have been nice to select from a more robust red list - perhaps even including an Oregon Pinot.

Reviewed July 31, 2013

Bar Corvo is a good example of Brooklyn's current obsession with very fresh food, carefully prepared. We ordered most of the appetisers because we were unable to choose between them and they were uniformly excellent.
My only quibble would be with the service- the server was visibly disappointed that we showed up at 9pm, and by the time we finished our mains, mumbled the dessert menu at us in the least encouraging manner possible and was hustling us out the door as fast as he could. I understand that it takes time to close up but they accepted us when we asked if they were open and we were spending a reasonable amount of money.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

I tried out Bar Corvo when a friend suggested I meet her there. The restaurant is small and doesn't take reservations, so we ended up sitting at the bar. This was great because the server was really attentive, and we got to watch all the food being prepared (and it all looked delicious)! I loved that everything on the menu was made with simple, fresh and healthy ingredients. I shared two appetizers and two entrees with my friend, and I wish I could have tried more on the menu. I'm definitely going back to this place next time I find myself in Brooklyn. It is great!!!

For some pictures and more about my experience, see my blog post: http://hungry-games.com/2013/04/07/bar-corvo-crown-heights-brooklyn/

Reviewed June 1, 2013

One of the best places in Brooklyn for simply amazing food. Loved the appetizers, salad and the entrees - particularly the chicken. Wine selection is appropriate for the menu. Has outdoor space as well for summer.

Reviewed May 3, 2013

Bar Corvo has an impeccible provenance. They are the second restaurant opened by the creators/owners of Park Slope's renowned Al Di La. I live just around the block and it has helped to create an electric atmosphere on Washington Avenue which was previously a run down traffic-chocked avenue to be avoided.

The food is soulful, delicious and satisfying. In particular, I am enthralled with the starters--many of which feature vegetables to great effect. The brussel sprouts and the fritto misto are particularly memorable as are the crispy chickpeas. I oftern just order an assortment of the starters for a lighter dinner. The pastas generally are warming, melting and lovely. I am partial to the home-made ginger soda, but the wine list is thoughtful with many delightful bottles. I am not a cocktail drinker, but I have heard many glowing reviews.

Finally, a cautionary word--we have been served with great care and attention on most occassions but recently came with friends for a celebratory dinner of a rather quiet Tuesday night and had an irritable and rude server. The server was rude to the point of being aggressive to one member of the party in particular and this placed a distinct damper of the evening. We spent well north of $200 on dinner and I am sure that the owners of Bar Corvo would have been appalled. Apparently, this was NOT a singular event that evening, as friends were dining at a close-by table and had the same experience.

In sum, wonderful food, a tremendous asset to the neighborhood and typically a warm and inviting experience. We'll continue to patronize as much as we can, but would ask that attention be paid to the level of service.