“Best of the Hotels I've tried so far in this area”
Review of Wythe Hotel

and 1 more site!
Wythe Hotel
Ranked #17 of 71 Hotels in Brooklyn
Dammam
“Best of the Hotels I've tried so far in this area”
Reviewed January 2, 2014

I moved over to this hotel from SoHo because my son lives is this area. It was actually Christmas Day when I arrived and I was pleasantly surprised by the size of my room. Liked the upscale industrial look and the rooms were very large compared to the postage stamp I was in at my hotel in SoHo. I found the staff to be very helpful, the doorman pleasant and helped with bags. We had Christmas Dinner at their restaurant and it was great and I felt very well priced. It was whimsical as well and didn't take itself too seriously either. Foie gras on gingerbread who knew? The meal was very good and service excellent even though they were very busy. I was leaving the country the next day and my son left something in my room which the front desk gladly kept there so he could pick it up. I would stay again for sure but next time with Manhattan skyline view.

Room Tip: Get a city view if you have the extra cash
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Texasfan1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed December 31, 2013

The Wythe is incredibly unaccomodating for weddings. We were promised for over one year a loft space at the hotel for our wedding weekend as long as we booked 6 months in advance (apparently they don't book earlier than that).

Then exactly 6 months in advance of our wedding date, we called and were told that the lofts were all booked for clients. Fair that the hotel prioritizes clients over outside guests, but not at all fair that they never bothered to tell us the 5 different times we spoke with staff (including managers) in the months leading up to the wedding. Now we're left scrambling to find a place to spend our weekend -- thanks for that Wythe.

Overall, if you are looking for a reliable place to spend your wedding weekend, look elsewhere!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank 262Alay
Perth, Australia
Reviewed December 28, 2013

For our first night in New York we booked one of the Manhattan View King Rooms because of the view, & the stylish refurbishment of a beautiful old industrial building, in Brooklyn - our favourite part of New York.
From our first contact with the Wythe Hotel, via email to make an enquiry, the members of staff we dealt with were professional, helpful & friendly in a casual relaxed way that appealed to us.
As intrusive noise does bother us, we took account of the reviews that mentioned noise & booked a room on the fourth floor to avoid noise from the restaurant (ground floor) or the nightclub (6th floor) as much as possible.
We arrived from the airport before room check-in & we had arranged to leave our luggage at the hotel while we went out to explore the area. The check-in of the luggage was handled smoothly.
When we returned to the hotel in the afternoon, we found our room was prepared. It was peaceful, quiet, & comfortable, with 2 large armchairs & a great bed. The floor to ceiling, wall-to-wall windows provided a breathtaking view of the Manhattan skyline over the rooftops of Williamsburg. The windows also had good blinds (one for privacy, the other to block light) so we could take a nap without any problem. The bathroom was also comfortable, with a large shower & good water pressure, nicely scented local organic bathing products, & plenty of towels – we particularly liked the window in the shower recess so you can look out onto the skyline (at least until the window steamed up).
That evening, we met friends at The Ides on the 6th Floor, before going out for dinner nearby in Williamsburg. When we returned there was a lot of activity in the hotel restaurant & nightclub, but our room was quiet, & we slept easily.
Watching the sunrise over the East River & Manhattan was wonderful - a real thrill for a visitor to New York.
Breakfast at the restaurant, Reynard, was delicious & the service was great. It was an easy relaxing place to start the day.
After we checked out of our room, we had a few hassles arranging check-in at our next place of stay, so we stayed in the lobby of the Wythe Hotel while we sorted that out & the young staff at reception were very patient & helpful through the process (assisting us to make local calls, getting a car, etc).
Our stay at this beautiful hotel was really enjoyable & we’ll stay here again on our next visit.

Room Tip: Manhattan View rooms have a great view; the fourth floor was quite (away from the restaurant & t...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JaneAndBrad
Hilton Head, South Carolina
Reviewed December 26, 2013

Stay any place but here. Noise,poor service,over rated hotel,more,security guard in lobby get right in your face,no way to treat paying customer staying here. May be having some problems with the area. No coffee or tea in room ,only one roll toilet paper had to call for more. Said chair but was only straight back metal not comfortable, , all in all rather bare bones with "trendy " read second rate furniture.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Herb M
Point Pleasant, NJ
Reviewed December 16, 2013

I really enjoyed my one night in the hotel, but don't think it was the best value. I had a baby queen, which for a couple is definitely a large enough room. The wall minimalist decor was gorgeous! I loved the wooden bed frame and the industrial details, such at the ceiling beams and the concrete floors. The bathroom was really ice with attractive tiles, also with radiant heat. The Goldie toiletries are lovely. The radiant heat in the floor was beautiful, but eventually got too hot! We were there for a snow storm and 20 degree temperatures. We never turned on the heat, and the room was always in the 70s. Honestly, the day we were checking out, the room got unbearably hot. Maybe the showers we took contributed? Without turning on the heat, the temp in the room was 79 on a 14 degree morning. I actually turned the AC on to cool it down to 74.

OK, so we are staying in a trendy hotel. OK, I might need to get used to the process of proving I belong there to get in the lobby - not very welcoming. The first doorman was nice, friendly when we told him we were checking in, then remembered us later. Other times when we were in and out we were stopped by a doorman akin to a "bouncer." Maybe that is necessary for the upstairs bar, but to be treated like "cattle" when I am spending hundreds of dollars to stay here just gives a bad vibe. Maybe they should just stamp "hotel guest" on our foreheads, because treatment certainly changed with the wave of a hotel key. But, I shouldn't have to wave a key for civil treatment.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank krissalee
New York
Reviewed December 9, 2013

The hotel design is top notch. Almost worth the annoyances which I guess they figure. Before I go further though, the two men who normally staff the door are wonderful. No complaints there. I live in the neighborhood and have been to the hotel several times- for the bar, restaurant and a family member's hotel stay. In rating the hotel stay, despite the beautiful decor, the rowdy crowd, noise, and widely variable expensive rates prevent me from giving more than an average rating.
My number 1 suggestion - check the website repeatedly, and I mean REPEATEDLY for room rates.The rates go down substantially if the hotel is not near capacity. I mean like the difference of $100/night. I learned this the hard way and should have cancelled and rebooked the room at the lower rate. I just didn't expect this of a "luxury" hotel. I'm normally a compulsive price shopper and don't ordinarily see too many price variations for the same day of the week/same season. The Wythe price is based on capacity when you book -"like an airline" as the front desk person told me.
Number 2 suggestion- make sure you are not placed on the 2nd floor in a Brooklyn Queen room. The noise from the restaurant below is inescapable. Think heavy base club music. After dropping my mom off, my boyfriend and I investigated the noise source- and it was clearly from the restaurant, not Brooklyn Bowl across the street. Though that and the cabs outside add to the noise. I imagine the 5th floor rooms would not be much quieter, since the nightclub/bar is on the 6th floor. So request a room on the 3rd or 4th floors.
All this having been said, I will continue to frequent the bar, as its a wonderful spot to impress out of town friend, and the staff is generally wonderful and friendly. My boyfriend, a local from well before the recent sceney crowd, is a converted original hater of the Wythe (fancy scar on the gritty neighborhood it is)- the warm, democratic and hospitable doormen charmed him.

Room Tip: request a room on the 3rd or 4th floors; expect noise on other floors
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank MaggsJD
Miami, Florida
Reviewed December 9, 2013

The Wythe Hotel is a gorgeous historic and aesthetically pleasing boutique hotel. I loved every second of our stay. The staff was courteous and very helpful (extending our stay by 1 day on last minute notice, ordering car services, etc.) although if you weren't staying at the hotel and wanted to visit the bar or restaurant guests were shuffled into a waiting line. Thankfully, with a room key we had free reign of all amenities the hotel had to offer. We really enjoyed the candlelit 6th floor bar Ides with expansive views of Manhattan and great cocktails. Our Historic King room was located on the 3rd floor with everything a traveler needs and more. We can't wait to return - although next time we'll book one of the top floor lofts. By the way, there are multiple little jewels close-by. Check out Hotel Delmano for oysters and beautifully crafted cocktails and The Bedford for a great dinner.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple