“Way above average room and nice staff”
Review of Midwood Suites

Midwood Suites
Ranked #55 of 71 Hotels in Brooklyn
Jamaica
“Way above average room and nice staff”
Reviewed August 12, 2011

The pictures of the room does no justice to the room we actually got, it was very clean, well organized and quaint and enough space for my whole family all 5 of us at a great price.

1 Thank jamesdorans

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Ithaca, New York
Reviewed August 8, 2011

The place was really nice! We didn't know what to expect, but the place surprised us. It is a huge adapted house in the middle of Brooklyn, It has all commodities and more, kitchen, wi-fi and even teeth brushes. Very close to the subway. You can reach Manhattan really easily, or the heart of Brooklyn in a few minutes.

Definitively, it is not going to be our last time visiting Brooklyn and staying at Midwood Suits.
We highly recommend this place!

Cheers and I hope you enjoy your stay here too.

1 Thank quilk
Norfolk, Virginia
Reviewed August 1, 2011

I would not recommend this "hotel" expecially to a single woman traveling alone. It is a house with a side entrance with no one at a desk or front entrance. I did not think it was safe for me to return at night by myself so the first night i actually stayed somewhere else, although i had paid for it. The entrance to the hotel rooms are on the side of the buidling like an alley way, not safe for a woman by herself! No one knows if you're coming or going so its really an unsafe environment.
THe room was spacious and had a small kitchenette, but that's all i can say positive about it. if you have big luggage, you'ld never get up those stairs to the room. Stairs are very narrow and steep so it's not good optoin for older person or someone who cant do stairs easily. Some gross things on the walls as well, blood or snot, really gross. the shower was clean but very outdated that made it seem dirty and run down. Locatoin is good for shopoing in flatubsh but not safe for woman and very strange arrangements!

3 Thank SLI061

Travelers are raving about these Brooklyn hotels

Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed July 28, 2011

Anazing and great place to relax, tranquillity as well as excellent people, who are available whenever you need

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 11, 2011

Let me begin by saying that I truely believe this is the worse hotel i have ever stayed at.
I had made a reservation for this hotel a week before my stay, i was then sent an email saying that my total would be $163 including tax for the junior suite which consisted of one bedroom with two queen bed and one bedroom with a twin size bed.

The morning of my stay, i checked my credit card and i had been charged $174. I called the property owner and never did he apologize, and the only thing he said was "i will check"

As we arrived to the property we had to walk through the side of the building that smelled and looked like a dump.

I got into the room, and found that there wasn't even a twin size bed ! It was a sofa oriented to look like a living room that has a pull out bed, a futon bed.
I called the owner once again, and let him know that the website says its a twin size bed, he said sure if you have a child you can pull it out to be a bed. The springs were completely popping out and the mattress was as thin as a carpet. The description online was just false.

Room Tip: Spend the extra money for something better !
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank sylvieuh
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed January 10, 2011

Sorry for the long review, but do yourself a favor – read to make the right decision for yourself. In average we vacation 2-3 times a year, but I never write any reviews. This time I’ve decided I have to speak up.
This review will have 2 separate issues: amenities and the OWNER.
Amenities: as stated by other reviewers it is “bed and breakfast without a breakfast”. They will give you coupons to eat at a nearby bagel place/café. It’s a 3-5 min walk which is fine. However, for a 3 night stay we received only 2 breakfast coupons. Cheap! Subway is literally around the corner- 5 min walk. So no complaints about the location. The building is very old. Rooms are outdated, but clean enough (I’m a clean freak!). Basically, if you are there only to sleep and explore the city during the day as we did, it works fine.
The OWNER: Where to start… Called me the day before my check in date to ask if my kids can share the bed. I was surprised to receive the call, because the room I reserved should have 4 beds as I need. When I tried to clear the situation over the phone, he was very irritated and tried to assure me that I reserved the wrong room. I said I have a printout where the room type was specified. He told me to bring it in with me. In the mean time he will put me in a smaller room and will bring cots for the kids. When we came he didn’t even come to meet us or to check my reservation (he doesn’t live in the building he rents). I never saw him. At the front door we found an envelope with instructions on the room number and key code combo. The room was not what I hoped for, but I decided whatever, didn’t want to have any unpleasant talks with the owner again. Unfortunately, I had to talk to him over the phone again at our check out day: It was the 2nd day after the big snow storm that hit NYC. 15 st, where the house is located, was not plowed but it had some marks in the road made from SUVs that had already driven through. Since we have an SUV too, we decided that we should be able to leave as long as the driveway will be cleaned. My husband was already outside cleaning while I called the owner to ask him to help us to clean HIS driveway, so we can pull into the street. He was so rude, said it’s mayor Bloomberg's job to clean the street. I explained again, all what I am asking is to help us to clean the driveway from HIS rental property, not 15street. He said he doesn’t have anybody that can do this and hung up on me! We ended up cleaning ourselves for 3hrs and were able to pull out and leave..
Bottom line, if everything goes smoothly it is an OK place to stay visiting NYC. If any issues arise, this OWNER is the most RUDE and UNPLESANT person I’ve ever dealt with.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
8 Thank BigSightseer
Hampton, Virginia
Reviewed October 23, 2010

We met longtime friends with 2 teenagers and wanted to stay in an apt. of sorts. Midwood Suites had what we wanted just a block from the train into the city. It is a 30 min. ride with several trains to Times Square.
We were able to sleep 6 people with all sharing one bathroom. Yes, the furniture is abit old, but it was clean and suited our needs for a 5 day trip. Breakfast was down the street in a bagel place which was another experience for us but worked very well.
We enjoyed our stay and decided to return soon. Also the price was right for New York.
Thank you family Baumann.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family