“Great teas, free wifi and great live music...”
Review of Tea Lounge - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Tea Lounge
Cuisines: International
Description: The Tea Lounge is a Brooklyn institution, located in the heart of Park Slope. We offer over 75 kinds of loose-leaf teas, eco-roasted coffees, and the best happy hour in Brooklyn, with comfy couches, free Wi-Fi, and live music daily. We are a place for students, families, and business to exist side-by-side on our couches. Our focus and goal is the Park Slope community as a whole, we aim to be your hang out. Our place is your place.
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Great teas, free wifi and great live music...”
Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

The tea lounge is a lovely large and yet cosy space in Brooklyn where they specialize in serving a huge variety of teas from all over the world. They also have live music on various evenings.

I was performing there last evening. When I walked in, it was a strange feeling to see almost every table seated with people, deeply absorbed in their laptops, making full use of the free wifi provided. I wasn't too
happy about that...

But as I walked to the back of the room, there was a performance area and a little sound system. The host of the evening moved some risers and made up a stage quickly.

By 8.30pm quite a few people came and seated themselves close to the stage. They were the regular visitors for Brooklyn Raga Massive, which is a regular feature on Thursdays. The sound system was surprisingly good and the performance turned out very successful. A small community of people who love Indian classical music and Indian classical students and musicians flock there regularly. And the fare on offer is wonderful. Musicians passing through get a stage as also local musicians. It is a kind of meeting ground.

The teas on offer are very many. And iced as well as piping hot. The staff behind the tea bar were very friendly. And took pride in the brews they were serving. The baked goodies were really delicious too.

I will certainly visit this place each time I pass through NYC!

• Visited September 2013
Jonathan S, Owner at Tea Lounge, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Thanks for leaving such a positive review, Sandhya! We're so happy to hear that you found our space lovely and cozy, our staff friendly, and our baked goodies delicious! Thanks for putting on such a great performance too! We look forward to your next visit when you're in NYC! See you!

Boston, Massachusetts
“Bring toilet paper, a laptop, or a good book to read.”
Reviewed March 17, 2012

I rarely give average ratings. I like to look on the bright side of things. There was a lot to look at, and a lot to ignore.

This place has a dim lighting mood, but a real hip feel to it.

I approached the baristas, and asked for a tea in a specific size. My friend got tea in another size. I got my friends tea in another size, and my friend got my tea in her size. I did not doubt the barista's ability and skill in that they were able to aromatically create a berry scent to my vanilla tea.

The scene was real hip, a basement with an eclectic, but well balanced mix of paint and chalk. A bar served some craft beers and the workers seemed to enjoy their time working. Sofas from your last apartment are still there, but you can find some comfortable seats just to find that moment to chill. I would recommend bringing a laptop or a newspaper and find a comfortable niche to people watch for a while.

The tea was wonderful, no mistake, even though it was a little confusing at first.

The bathroom, well, it seemed like the kind of place where standards might be lackadaisical. When I went to the bathroom, I was forced to waddle my way to the door, get the attention of one of the friendly patrons, who informed them of the lack of a standard (See title).

I loved the music, and overall, the scene was a nice place to experience a little real culture in NYC. I got to see a spectrum of what is available in NYC, and it was awesome, though average, I still highly recommend it!

• Visited March 2012