I can now officially write a review, now that I have visited and dined at Al MAr.
You know, reading so many reviews, one starts getting skeptical, and need to read between the lines and such.
The place was excellent.
1) didin;t even know they had Happy Hour ON A SATURDAY NIGHT---which was awesome, I think they said they begin dining service at 5 or 6, I forgot, no matter, we had happy hour at the bar--good prices on drinks-
bar -is small, about one length (say around 10 stools), but fine-and adjacent too dining area
2) we adjourn to our table, we had 4 people, so our own table--
3) trying to remember what we ordered, started out w/ meatballs--it was AWESOME
grilled calamari, was good, but all of our other dishes were better-
like the, I think it was the string bean one--salad was great
forgot what else, maybe soup, anyway, my wife & I both had the braised short Ribs, out of this world, so good, and the other couple loved their entree, I think they split the same
4) espresso and a grappa, nice finish
5) easy to get to, as we had walked over the bridge, about 3 blocks, no problem
6) then a short taxi to the Barclays Center
Highly recommend--for that area
You probably have to go outside of that area to find some old school italian, but this was quite good.
Maybe the Park Slope area, they have a lot of restaurants (maybe some old school)