“Very Good”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed November 15, 2012

I can now officially write a review, now that I have visited and dined at Al MAr.
You know, reading so many reviews, one starts getting skeptical, and need to read between the lines and such.
The place was excellent.
1) didin;t even know they had Happy Hour ON A SATURDAY NIGHT---which was awesome, I think they said they begin dining service at 5 or 6, I forgot, no matter, we had happy hour at the bar--good prices on drinks-
bar -is small, about one length (say around 10 stools), but fine-and adjacent too dining area
then,
2) we adjourn to our table, we had 4 people, so our own table--
3) trying to remember what we ordered, started out w/ meatballs--it was AWESOME
grilled calamari, was good, but all of our other dishes were better-
like the, I think it was the string bean one--salad was great
forgot what else, maybe soup, anyway, my wife & I both had the braised short Ribs, out of this world, so good, and the other couple loved their entree, I think they split the same
4) espresso and a grappa, nice finish
5) easy to get to, as we had walked over the bridge, about 3 blocks, no problem
6) then a short taxi to the Barclays Center

Highly recommend--for that area
You probably have to go outside of that area to find some old school italian, but this was quite good.
Maybe the Park Slope area, they have a lot of restaurants (maybe some old school)

Reviewed October 10, 2012

Normally we stay in the Heights but this trip we landed in Dumbo. It was raining and we were not up to the traverse to Henry Street so we cris crossed Front to see what looked inviting. AlMar had that "come on in" feel with the owner standing at the door smiling. 7PM, half the tables were occupied so we walked in to give it a "try."
We had read the T/A comments so this was more of a test than an adventure. On all accounts AlMar passed.
Quick attentive and friendly service; More spacious table arrangement than the typical Dumbo/Heights eatery; Creative menu; Varied and international wine choices; We shared a lobster and arugala pasta along with a grilled mackerel filet. The appetizer crostinni was amazing!
And oh yes...... cash only, but that should come as no surprise to the journeyman NY diner, get used to it. (PS: ATM is in the rear of the dining room)

Reviewed September 27, 2012

I am looking forward to a good ol Brooklyn Italian restaurant, I understand they don;t have any old school types (only Lugars is left form the old days), only bistros and hipster types I guess----anyway, I found this restaurant---Al Mar---and hope it won;t let me down---on the review with Cash Only, as I research many other establishments in the area, Guess what? All restaurants are Cash Only, do the exercise yourself, I too am very surprised---cash only, oh well----until we meet in October Al Mar----

PS--I gave everything a 4 star, 'cause I was forced to do something in writing comment--yet have not been there yet----in Oct

Reviewed September 25, 2012

Had an enjoyable brunch here ... reasonably priced Bloody Mary's and well-prepared sandwiches. Our waiter was attentive, polite and considerate. Everyhting was fine until we get our bill. 'CASH ONLY' it stated on the bottom !!! No prior mention of this on the outside of the restaurant or on the menu. They wait until presenting you with the bill before they present you with their little surprise! When we complained we were politely told there was an ATM in the back room! Big deal! So now we have to pay an inflated fee to draw money from some independent finance company! Managed to scrape enough cash together to pay the bill but we hate this sort of thing. We won't be going back which is a pity as it's quite a pleasant place to eat.

Reviewed September 8, 2012

Sometimes the places you remember most are those you stumble across, completely unplanned. For me, AlMar was such a place on my day tour of Brooklyn. It's not big, but it's not what you'd call cozy either: plenty of daylight illuminating some nice tables and an extensive bar. They do have brews from the local micro, and a cured tuna salad with green beans and potatoes that was a great take on the salad nicoise that I've ever tasted. Definitely a place you want to go to when you do a walk along Brooklyn Pier.