“Quite enjoyable but a sting in the tail at the end ....”
Review of AlMar

AlMar
Ranked #136 of 5,491 Restaurants in Brooklyn
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Had an enjoyable brunch here ... reasonably priced Bloody Mary's and well-prepared sandwiches. Our waiter was attentive, polite and considerate. Everyhting was fine until we get our bill. 'CASH ONLY' it stated on the bottom !!! No prior mention of this on the outside of the restaurant or on the menu. They wait until presenting you with the bill before they present you with their little surprise! When we complained we were politely told there was an ATM in the back room! Big deal! So now we have to pay an inflated fee to draw money from some independent finance company! Managed to scrape enough cash together to pay the bill but we hate this sort of thing. We won't be going back which is a pity as it's quite a pleasant place to eat.

Reviewed September 8, 2012

Sometimes the places you remember most are those you stumble across, completely unplanned. For me, AlMar was such a place on my day tour of Brooklyn. It's not big, but it's not what you'd call cozy either: plenty of daylight illuminating some nice tables and an extensive bar. They do have brews from the local micro, and a cured tuna salad with green beans and potatoes that was a great take on the salad nicoise that I've ever tasted. Definitely a place you want to go to when you do a walk along Brooklyn Pier.

Reviewed August 13, 2012

If you have read my review on Jacques Torres chocolate shop in DUMBO, then you will realise how we stumbled into this cafe. Having wandered around for some time in search of the 'famous' DUMBO sights, we found ourselves lost and in need of a cool drink and a friendly face to offer directions to our destination.

We must be DUMBOs ourselves, as we fell for the delights which the menu promised as we were shown to our table. I use the word 'table' loosely. It was, in fact, more like a prop from the Harry Potter films as would have been found in the Refectory at Hogwarts! To sit along side complete strangers on a long wooden bench at a long wooden table made me feel we should be about to take part in a medieval banquet. Thankfully though, we were given cutlery and not the dagger I had pictured in my mind.

We were given a large bottle of tap water 'on the house' (although with their inflated prices I think we did in fact pay for it indirectly!). We ordered a granola yogurt and something called 'egg-on-a-cloud' which was something to do with an egg and some spinach. It took what seemed like forever to appear. I can only think that the kitchen must be some considerable distance from the Hogwarts tables and this is what took the time and accounted for the fact that the 'cloudy egg' dish was only luke warm - yuk!

However, we ate up, visited the facilities (which were dark and dingy, again reminding me of Hogwarts), got our directions for the chocolate shop and paid the $30+ bill!!!!

I find it very hard to believe that this place has received such good ratings here from other visitors. My advice is: Don't be a DUMBO........move on.

Reviewed April 8, 2012

This is a great place to go before or after walking the brooklyn bridge. I had the best meatball sandwich ive ever had. You have to try it.

Reviewed March 29, 2012

Warm and cozy atmosphere. Menu changes daily. Good food-especially loved the appetizers, bruschetta and salads. Also great tiramisu.