“Beware!”
Review of Sumner Hotel

Sumner Hotel
Ranked #40 of 59 Brooklyn B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 16, 2013

I stayed here 4 nights while on business in Brooklyn nearby. Everything seemed okay but there was a crack in the granite sink that I should have reported but did not because I don't like to complain. Four days after my return home, my credit card company notified me of a large charge on my credit card. They decided to bill me for the crack in the sink!!! For $1000!!! The manager, Minah, is a big liar and I get the impression they have done this thing to people before. Taught me a lot--no more stays at independent hotels, my signature on nothing and reporting any little thing wrong in the room before I even open my suitcase. These people are crooks; stay at your own risk!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
16  Thank jackie g

Reviewed April 5, 2013

I absolutely loved this hotel and stayed last week. At first , I was extremely wary of the location but I felt safe after regularly seeing cops patrolling the area and hotel and nobody said anything to Me . The location is just 3 stops away from manhattan on the subway which was an advantage for tourists like me, who wish to sight see . The staff were very helpful and polite and made me and my family feel at home . The room had all facilities including wifi and a fridge , there was also a microwave in the hotel which was useful, rooms were clean and warm and homely . I would recommend this hotel to everyone as it has the same facilities as a 4-5 star hotel but at a cheaper price ...

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank Reenahun
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Clean room, pretty much as advertised. Staff was helpful; place was clean; hot water plentiful; let us stow our bags after check out before flight. Pillows hard as rocks, but I'm a down feather girl. Stayed here over St. Pats weekend to save a few $$ on hotel over Manhattan costs. Spent a LOT more time waiting on trains than we would have in the City, and by 9p the only thing open for dinner was Burger King. Wouldn't stay here again over paying more in Manhattan. If you plan to stay here to save $$ on NYC trip -- DON'T. You waste more time commuting and can't really walk around at night, as there's nothing open to see or do. Did pick up some bargains on MAC cosmetics and Michael Kors' purses during the day at bottom of subway station, but wouldn't stay here again for the price difference.

Room Tip: Stay in Manhattan - its worth the extra $$.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank 100beachbums
Reviewed February 15, 2013

we did't expect a lot from this hotel after we read all the reviews on trip advisor. But luckily we were positively surprised!

The pro's:
the location. the Metro line M and J are just a corner from the hotel. I don't think the neigbourhood was dangerous at all, but I never walked through the street alone at night, so maybe thats the reason...
There are some free parking around the hotel, but make sure you get up early in the morning to catch them, otherwise it can be quite difficult to find one.
The bedroom was small but very cosy. The mattress is VERY comfortable i loved it. You even find an iron in the cupboard. The heater in the room works well, is a little noisy but usually you don't keep it running at the max during the nights...
The bathroom was big enough. The shower is great, the water jet is strong and you always have hot water.
the staff was also friendly and helpful

the contra's:
the walls are very very thin. you hear every noise in the corridor or in the rooms beside. so make sure you bring some earplugs with you - just in case.
Btw there is no hair dryer in the bathroom. I forgot to bring mine.... that was a bit upsetting.
The breakfast is included - which is a good thing - but I wasn't a fan of it. Not healthy at all, there were a few dry apples which didn't taste well. My friends though liked the fresh baked waffels.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 20, 2012

I stayed here for the night at a reasonable price because I didn't want to get a room in the city. I arrived about an hour before check-in and was told I had to wait until after 3pm to do so. I didn't really like that at all. The hotel didn't seem busy, and it seemed like management didn't care that I had to wait almost an hour and a half to check-in, all he said was "walk around until your room is ready". I didn't mind walking around, the hotel is right off the subway with many shops to look around in. It was starting to rain so I walked back to the hotel to find that my room still wasn't ready, so I waited about two hours all together. The room was ok, your average king room. The bathroom smelled, so I wasn't happy about that. I got a call later that evening from the front desk to remind me about breakfast, I was looking forward to that. The next morning a got up early to pack and then went to enjoy breakfast, or what they call their "continental" breakfast. I was very disappointed. Only wheat bread, oranges, bananas, and a waffle maker was the options to choose from, with your assorted juices of course, so I passed. I more then likely will not stay here again. The one good thing about this hotel is the pizza place across the street. AWESOME PIZZA!

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Ashleigh M
Reviewed December 17, 2012

We expected a no-frills hotel, which we got. We didn't expect to be woken up at midnight by a man claiming to be with hotel management who demanded that we open the door without any explanation. It turns out he was helping a previous guest retrieve some belongings she had left in a closet -- at midnight! We had been woken out of our sleep, half-dressed, and treated like dirt by a rude and hostile hotel employee who demanded that we let another stranger into our room. The front desk said they were acting out of "courtesy" to the previous guest, with no show of courtesy to us. They said the hotel manager couldn't be woken at that hour. Again, we did not get that consideration. It was a frightening experience we don't care to repeat. We did not feel safe in this hotel or trust its management.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank dollface0821
Reviewed December 7, 2012

Stayed here for three nights last week. I run a non profit endeavor, and our budget is right. New York City travel is hard for us because lodging is so much more expensive than any other city (even more than San Francisco). I booked this for the savings and took a risk on the&e "sketchy " neighborhood I kept reading about. I nervously got off the Subway at about 3 AM, expecting to hurry through a dimly lit and lonely dark alley, hoping to arrive safely at the hotel.

Imagine my surprise to instead find a cheerfully lit neighborhood, decorated for the holidays, charming by New York City standards complete with a 24 hour transit info desk, security, a police presence, plenty of foot traffic of all ages and income levels (even at 3 AM! ), a 24 hour Christmas Tree vendor, and a 24 hour deli (with great made to order food! ). Not sketchy at all for an urban city like Brooklyn.

When I arrived at the hotel, I was again pleasantly surprised to find a modern hotel, obviously recently built, very clean, a great room with a nice view of the neighborhood all the way to the water. Truthfully MUCH better than I expected. True, I wouldn't call it fancy. Yes, the lobby is small. But who cares ? You aren't visiting New York to loiter in a hotel lobby. As for breakfast, usethe vast savings on the room rate to buy a steak across the street at IHOP.

Bottom line: Great option for New York City. Very convenient with the Subway less than a block away. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: December 2012