WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of The Box House Hotel

The Box House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 69 Hotels in Brooklyn
France
“A good hotel in a great area”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2014

Situated in Green Points, an area of Brooklyn not yet spoilt, the Box house is a very interesting hotel, and rooms are large, well equipped and quiet. Just over the Pulasky Bridge is the Moma PS1 and lot of interesting restaurants.
Around Manhattan Avenue you feel like you are back 30 years, with old grocery shops, people sitting in the street in front of their house or on the stairs in the evening. It has not yet been invaded by the “trendy” so you get a real atmosphere.
The staff is friendly and very helpful, we had one of the top floor rooms and it was very large, practical and the terrace was a very pleasant place to rest and have a drink after a day in Manhattan.
Jackson-Vernon subway station is less than 10 minutes’ walk and the driver will also happily take you to the boat ferry, so that you can enjoy the crossing with a perfect view of the Sky line.

Room Tip: The two rooms on the top floor have a great view over the Sky Line
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
      Location
      Cleanliness
1 Thank toukan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
  • Korean first
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2014

I decided to stay at the Box House precisely because it wasn't right in the thick of everything. NYC hotels can get so noisy, and I liked the fact that the Box House was a bit off the beaten path. Rates are great and rooms are lovely - just look at the photos on the website! The rooms live up to the photos.

I was there for work, during the week and had no trouble sleeping. The 2nd night, some people in town for fun were booked in the room next to mine. The front desk was great about accommodating a move to a quieter room, but noise would've been a problem for me if I hadn't been able to move. I'm a very light sleeper, though, so this may not be the case for others.

It's great having a full kitchen in the rooms, especially in NYC.

The one glitch with my stay was transportation. I was in the city when an 11"-of-snow storm hit. The driver took me to dinner in Williamsburg even in all that snow (they'll get you to/from the train station or within a certain radius), which was great! Thanks, Box House! What wasn't as great? That nowhere in the written information nor in person (not even when I was being dropped off!) did it say that the driving service ends at a certain hour (10pm, I think?). So when I called after dinner, I was told that the driver had already gone home. So there I was, in from Los Angeles and without real snow wear, stranded miles from my hotel. It was impossible to get another car service because of the snow, so I trudged the miles back to the hotel in the snow by foot. Not a happy Angeleno when I arrived.

Delivery to the hotel is good; I hope in the future they open a restaurant/bar in the hotel itself. That would be great.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Location
      Cleanliness
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank Millcaro
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2014 via mobile

Hailing from Bermuda, my husband and I stayed at this wonderful hotel for a week and I must say this hotel exceeding all of our expectations. We frequent NYC on a regular basis but we have always stayed in Manhattan. This time around we decided to venture outside our traditional routine and I am so glad we did. The hotel decor is eclectic and chic. The staff were incredibly friendly and helpful. The complimentary shuttle service was an extra bonus and we met a superb driver, Mr. Singh, who was a wealth of knowledge on the neighborhood and commuting to Manhattan.

It truly is a hidden gem and we will definitely be staying there again!

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Corvallis, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2014

Excellent staff. Excellent room. The rooms are huge by NYC standards & have everything you need for your stay. They have a vending machine for snacks & drinks. It was so simple to get around from the hotel. The walk across the Pulaski bridge to the Vernon/Jackson subway stop was so easy. We did take their shuttle service once to the subway stop, just because we were freshly showered and all prettied-up for a Broadway show, but other than that we walked everywhere. The B62/B43 bus stops are close-by and made getting around Brooklyn a breeze. Just get a Metro card and download the Moovit app on your phone and you will be a pro in no time! I see one other reviewer complain that there was a heavy metal bar nearby. That's funny because that's why my husband & I chose this place! We had a great time there hanging out with the locals. Metal people are some of the friendliest people you'll meet in the world. Don't be so snooty! Overrall a lovely stay! When we go back to NYC, this is where we will stay again.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Erin W
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2014

Perfect alternative, for less, to a cramped and ordinary hotel room on Manhattan! Clean, spacious room, practical and well equiped kitchen, easy and quick underground acces to Midtown, convenient taxi shuttle service on Brooklyn, close to delis, restaurants and cafe's, good amenities like free WiFi, Internet access, laundry room and ironing board. Would definitely recommend!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank JantineZ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2014 via mobile

This boutique hotel is the definition of hidden gem, the surrounding neighbourhood stands out in stark contrast. Retro and vintage interiors, clean and helpful staff and beautifully furnished apartments ensuring your big apple visit is spent in style. Make sure to ask for apartments with a view of Manhattan and see the city light up at night! However a room for 5+ people can feel cramped when everyone's battling for the one bathroom! Head down to Naussau Avenue area in green point for wining and dining that does this hotel justice. And you're always one subway stop away from grand central station NYC. Fantastic find.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Lucy G
Midlothian, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2014

I stayed here during a business trip. It provided a great place to come home to. I stayed in a deluxe loft suite with patio for part of my stay and a loft suite for the latter part of my stay. Both rooms were fantastic. Rooms are very contemporary, great art on the walls from a local Brooklyn artist. Staff are helpful and the free shuttle is a major plus. My commute to Manhattan for work was a breeze (the shuttle driver will take you to ferry or subway stops in Brooklyn). There are places to eat within walking distance on Manhattan Avenue.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business