“Lovely hotel, out of the way location”

The Box House Hotel
Ranked #3 of 72 Hotels in Brooklyn
UK
“Lovely hotel, out of the way location”
Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

The rooms at the Box House are lovely- spotless, spacey and very comfortable. For the rates paid we could not find anything that looked half as nice in Manhattan. The queen sized bed was very comfy, the sofa bed large and the furnishings that of a high end hotel.

If you stay here however you need to be prepared to walk to the subway and pay for taxis. The staff never explained about the shuttle service on the 2 occasions that we were here so not sure how that works but the closest subway stations are about 10 minutes walk away. Having been prepared for an out of the way location this was okay, what we hadn't realised was that this made having a days sight seeing and then coming back to get ready to go out in the evening quite time consuming, so we tended to take what we needed for the evening with us.

All in all though a nice place to stay.

• Stayed June 2013
3 Thank UkTraveller1001

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I have just spent two nights at The Box Hotel in Brooklyn - this place is not bad, but after balancing the pros and cons of my stay against the price I felt I could not award The Box a higher score.
Whilst our room was large and well appointed, it was extremely noisy. The blinds are ineffective and our room was bright by 6am. The air conditioning was weak. When I pointed this out to reception I was met with a ' so sorry' that felt like 'tough!'. Given the price of the room the way my complaint was handled was almost criminal,
Finally, the location is somewhat remote from the village area of Williamsburg, about 20 mins walk. We ended up paying quite a lot on cabs and frankly felt ripped off by the fares we were charged for the transfers, albeit this is not under the hotel's dict influence. All in all I left feeling blah about this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank youngprofessionalUK
Whitewater, Wisconsin
Reviewed May 25, 2013 via mobile

We absolutely loved our stay. Our room was like an oasis from the hustle and bustle of a busy day. I would say it felt like home but that would not be true. It was better than home! We will definitely be back.

• Stayed May 2013
St. John's, Newfoundland
Reviewed May 25, 2013 via mobile

Went to NYC for 4 nights for a girls weekend in May. We had a loft suite (bed and a pullout couch) and it was wonderful. The pull out couch was comfy and the room was quite large. The only complaint I would have would be that the bathroom didn't have any counter space, but as four girls we are resourceful and used the kitchen space instead. The people who worked the front desk were very helpful. They recommended great places to eat and drink. They were quick to print off directions if you needed help getting into the city. It is important to note that the hotel isn't right in the city. Having been to New York a few times now I realized I like staying in Brooklyn better. There are wonderful shops, markets and restaurants. There is a subway stop close to the hotel and then it is only 2 stops into Times Square. There is also cabs that will drive you anywhere within 2 miles for free, just leave them a tip. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013
Sandwich, Kent
Reviewed May 21, 2013

We stayed at the Box House Hotel in Brooklyn in May 2013 whilst we attended a family wedding and doing some sight seeing.
What a fantastic hotel, the new reception area sets the standard for the entire venue, stylish, calm and very, very friendly staff (especially Kevin - thank you).
I emailed to check it would be okay to call a cab from the Subway on arrival - even though we had not checked in - which was fine and we used the cabs backwards and forwards to the supermarket and Subway many times during our 5 night stay when our feet had had enough! The cab guys are really friendly and no destination is a problem within the 1 mile radius.
Our loft suite was so wonderful, we felt right at home and being able to make coffee and breakfast each day was cost effective too as we found prices in NY have risen vastly since our last visit 3 years ago which we were not really prepared for (even considering our pound was much stronger then!) but coming back to the Box House Hotel after each day was a treat we did not tire of.
Great stay and we would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: We had a loft suite on the ground floor - which we think faced internally (room 115) - it was quiet...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank VictoriaandNeil
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Stayed at The Box House Hotel in December 2012 - beautiful rooms, comfy bed and very warm and modern. Pretty easy to get the subway into Manhattan. Highly recommend the italian restaurant at the end of the bridge in Brooklyn, it was amazing! Friendly staff at the hotel as well. Thanks for a great stay :)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank luce91
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed May 15, 2013

I went to Brooklyn to visit a friend and had a very limited area of where I wanted to stay. BHH was the most reasonable for the value. The hotel was a bit challenging for my cab drive to find but it's actually very well marked from the outside. As others have said, the location is a bit strange (you certainly don't stay there for the view) but it is very close to transportation and restaurants and the car service (in awesome vintage cabs) the hotel provides make it very convenient. With that said, don't count on the car service to be your primary source of transportation. Hours are not 24/7 and they appeared to have very limited service on the weekends, as compared to weekday...particularly on Sundays. If you happen to drive there, parking seemed to be abundant, but I'd definitely make sure your car is well secured.
At the hotel, check in was easy. The staff was friendly and efficient and the process was painless. The room itself was beautiful. It was huge, especially for NYC, and beautifully appointed. As others have said, you do not feel like you are in a hotel and instead feel like you are in someone's very stylish (but not stuffy) loft. The hotel has a gym, sauna and rooftop deck but I didn't an occasion to check any of those things out. Like the previous reviewer, my room was exterior and near the bridge and expressway. I didn't think it was loud at all. However, I made sure to keep blinds closed at all times for security/privacy.
On the second night of my stay, guests staying near my room were extremely loud and keeping me from sleeping. I ended up calling the front desk from my cell phone (If there was a phone in my room, I never found it). The woman at the front desk took care of the situation right away and even went back to make sure that they stayed quiet.

Overall, I would definitely recommend BHH. I was definitely comfortable and I would stay there again. The only reason it is getting 4 stars instead of 5 is that I felt it (and other hotels in the Greenpoint area honestly) was a bit on the expensive side. If I could give 4.5 stars, I would.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo