The Box House Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Franklin Guesthouse(Brooklyn)
  • Restaurant
Feather Factory Hotel(Long Island City)
View Hotel
Motel 6 Long Island City NY(Long Island City)
  • Fitness center
  • Restaurant
  • Breakfast included
LIC Hotel(Long Island City)
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
City View Inn(Long Island City)
1,115 results
All reviewsgrand central stationmr singhchecker cabshuttle servicevernon jacksonnew yorkloft suitemile radiusmanhattan avenuefull kitchengreen pointfree car servicethe sofa bedthe east river ferryhigh ceilingstimes squareindustrial area
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 15, 2013

I went to Brooklyn to visit a friend and had a very limited area of where I wanted to stay. BHH was the most reasonable for the value. The hotel was a bit challenging for my cab drive to find but it's actually very well marked from the outside. As others have said, the location is a bit strange (you certainly don't stay there for the view) but it is very close to transportation and restaurants and the car service (in awesome vintage cabs) the hotel provides make it very convenient. With that said, don't count on the car service to be your primary source of transportation. Hours are not 24/7 and they appeared to have very limited service on the weekends, as compared to weekday...particularly on Sundays. If you happen to drive there, parking seemed to be abundant, but I'd definitely make sure your car is well secured.
At the hotel, check in was easy. The staff was friendly and efficient and the process was painless. The room itself was beautiful. It was huge, especially for NYC, and beautifully appointed. As others have said, you do not feel like you are in a hotel and instead feel like you are in someone's very stylish (but not stuffy) loft. The hotel has a gym, sauna and rooftop deck but I didn't an occasion to check any of those things out. Like the previous reviewer, my room was exterior and near the bridge and expressway. I didn't think it was loud at all. However, I made sure to keep blinds closed at all times for security/privacy.
On the second night of my stay, guests staying near my room were extremely loud and keeping me from sleeping. I ended up calling the front desk from my cell phone (If there was a phone in my room, I never found it). The woman at the front desk took care of the situation right away and even went back to make sure that they stayed quiet.

Overall, I would definitely recommend BHH. I was definitely comfortable and I would stay there again. The only reason it is getting 4 stars instead of 5 is that I felt it (and other hotels in the Greenpoint area honestly) was a bit on the expensive side. If I could give 4.5 stars, I would.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Megan H
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Just returned from four nights at BBH. We stayed in one of the basic ground floor apartment rooms and were delighted with it. Spacious for two (not really suitable for four), funkily decorated, super comfortable bed, two flat screen TVs and best of all a well equipped kitchen where we could have breakfast at leisure in our dressing gowns (good idea to take a light weight one as not provided). We loved the ceiling fan which kept us cool on two warm nights, but there is A/C for when needed. There was background noise from the Pulaski Bridge but it did not disturb us. I suspect those rooms (uneven numbers) with terraces facing the bridge would hear more. The really desirable rooms (even numbers) have terraces with a view of Manhatten, but they cost more and we were more than happy with our ground floor abode and looked forward to returning there each day. Staff were enormously helpful, very friendly and the free car service wonderful. The immediate surrounding area is very unprepossessing, but we came to really like N.Greenpoint, it's shops, restaurants and street characters. You can walk or get a lift to the 7 train straight into Grand Central or to cool Williamsburg where the L takes you into Union Square. But why not just stay in Brooklyn. It's great.

Room Tip: See main review for recommendations,
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Highgateglobetrotter
Reviewed May 12, 2013

I am a curator of a small art museum and am often in NYC on business. I have stayed at the BHH several times during its early years, and just returned from a stay there for Frieze NY 2013. What a great place!!! It is indeed out of the way, but the BHH has made ways to help travelers get to the ferry or subway stops if you don't want to walk. But really folks--it ain't that far. I am a Greenpointer at heart and just love this area. BONUS--killer coffee, cafes and Anellas for a great evening meal (or brunch within a short walk. What more can you ask for? And for a slew of awesome places to get a bite, be sure to check out the Graham stop. Sel de Mer always please. And be sure to hit the Ashbox Cafe up the street on Manhattan between Ash and Box Sts. for breakfast. It is one of the more civilizing moments any traveler could hope for. Also, with the addition of the lobby and gym at the BHH--really a great experience. The staff were great and I just cannot recommend this place enough for a sane weekend or home base for business.

Room Tip: Personally, I like the rooms w/o windows because it has three skylights with remote control blinks. Super quiet and stunningly private.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank K Z
Reviewed May 1, 2013

We boked a loft suite but got something more of a studion apartment. I saw that there are loft suites on the floor above ours but we simply got a divided room. I am sure that there is a price difference in the loft rooms and the studios, the lofts seem to have there own little garden and view, we could not even open our window.

There were also renovations that was happening at the hotel that we were never told about, the excessive noise stopped at 6pm but the workers continued long after that....

My wifi did not want to connect and no help was given for that and I asked for a converter plug and was just told that they dont have, no help in telling me where I could get one.

I dont recommend that anyone stays here, I feel that I was promised and charged for one thing and received another...

E

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
9  Thank EmilFaber
BoxHouseHotel, Guest Relations Manager at The Box House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2013

Dear Mr. Faber,

I am very disappointed in reading your review of your recent one night stay here at The Box House Hotel. It is surprising that you did not enjoy your stay in our Loft Suite. This Suite is over 550 sq. ft., has a beautiful open kitchen and living room area, and a private bedroom area, which is concealed by a large division wall of closets. The images of the Loft Suite can be found clearly on the internet. The Loft Suite is also quite airy as it features 16 ft. ceilings and the closets that divide the bedroom area are about 10 ft. high as well. Skylight windows are offered in some of the Loft Suites. While I understand that you would have liked to upgrade to a Loft Suite with Terrace, unfortunately you did not book this type of room and we would have been happy to upgrade you had we not been fully booked on that particular day. We always keep 12 power adapters at the front desk for the convenience of our guests. As for the internet connection, we had no reports of guest complaints on that day. We absolutely never do construction work after 6pm, however, we do maintenance work whenever necessary.

The Box House Hotel

Reviewed May 1, 2013

Had a perfect stay in this hotel. Clean and nicely decorated room, with a fully equipped kitchen, and a small terrace facing Manhattan (and a bridge, with a bit noisy traffic, I recommend earplugs). The room was for four people, but then the two sleeping in the bed needs to be in love :) The fold out sofa was comfortable and actually broader than the bed.

The front desk was very kind, recommending the best places for breakfast and other meals, and we appreciated the cars for free rides within Brooklyn. Also liked the gym and the personal touch in the hotel, for example a fruit basket in the hall. This was my first time not staying on Manhattan, and I really enjoyed the small shops and bars - all very hipster and "eco-cool"... For example don't miss having brunch at Vinegar Hill House (though not within walking distance).

Room Tip: The rooms with terraces faces Manhattan, which is cool, but also includes a busy bridge.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends