The Box House Hotel
$162
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
1,136 results
All reviewsgrand central stationmr singhchecker cabshuttle servicevernon jacksonnew yorkloft suitemile radiusmanhattan avenuefull kitchengreen pointfree car servicethe sofa bedthe east river ferryhigh ceilingstimes squareindustrial area
Reviewed May 25, 2012

After staying in central Manhatten for 9 nights coming here was an absolute pleasure. Granted the outside of the hotel is not what you expect but inside its beautiful. The decor is stylish and modern and the rooms are large and filled with all modern technology. The safe are over helpful and friendly, this really showed after a problem with my card upon arrival the staff did their best to help with the situation. A definate recomendation and bargin.
Plus thankyou once again.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Tyler E
Reviewed May 21, 2012

I stayed for three nights at the Box House in May. I was on my own and a little apprehensive about being in New York. The Box House was perfect - the staff were very helpful - printed out directions and subway numbers to get to a tour I had booked. The walk to the subway is short, and the view on the bridge is fantastic. The room was huge and had a homey feel about it, very clean. After talking to others staying in New York, the Box House is a bargain!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Mel R
Reviewed May 18, 2012

On arrival we were a little worried as the outside of the hotel is not the prettiest however, any worries we may have had were quickly erased once we got inside. This place is an absolute gem.

The rooms were more like apartments and felt really cosy and homely. The pictures don't do them justice.

The only problem was the Wifi - it wasn't very strong and made using the internet and trying to use the Apple TV very difficult. Technology aside, couldn't recommend it any more.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank LadyAndrea
Reviewed May 14, 2012

overall - i loved this place. it was quite, super spacious, and very comfortable. while i originally hesitated on the location (it's at the VERY edge of greenpoint), it's actually really close to some great coffee shops, restaurants and bars, and a few blocks from the Greenpoint Ave G train/a walk over the Pulaski Bridge from the 7 train - one shot into the city to Grand Central. a few things that i didn't like so much:
1. no cleaning service - i stayed for 6 days and it wouldve been nice to have it cleaned at least once
2. you have to pay for EVERYTHING up front. makes me nervous...and i've never had to do this at ANY other hotel
3. their cancellation policy - i decided to cut my stay short by one day, but according to their policy, you cannot change your reservation, without penalty, unless it's two weeks in advance. after a lot of arguing over the sheer ridiculousness of this (it was when i checked in, 7 days before the actual day i wanted to cancel), they finally called a manager and ok'd it.

otherwise, it was all good.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Jillian H
Reviewed May 14, 2012

My fiance and I have just returned from a truly excellent stay here.
The staff were all so welcoming, friendly and helpful - we recently got engaged and were greeted by a bottle of champagne upon arrival which was such a thoughtful touch.
We were given a beautiful loft suite which had pretty much everything needed for a really comfy stay. It was full of really interesting furniture and bits & pieces.
The bed and bedding were excellent, as were the kitchen facilities, there are two massive tv's and a really comfortable and spacious living area. My fiance has trouble sleeping at nights but the traffic on the bridge didn't disturb him or me, the bed was so comfortable i'm going to buy it for our home as we slept so well.
Our terrace faced onto the Pulaski Bridge so it wasn't the prettiest of views and it did feel like everyone crossing the bridge could see into the apartment, but i'm not shy and didn't mind that so much. But if you are shy maybe ask for a room with more privacy, I wouldn't let the terrace put anyone off as it's unlikely you'll spend much time out there as Brooklyn has so much to offer! I would highly recommend 'Sweet Leaf' cafe at the end of the bridge if you go to take the 7 train - easily the best coffee and scones i've had.
Williamsburg is great for drinking, eating and bowling, in fact pretty much all of Brooklyn is, it's so lovely to just walk around and stumble upon great independent shops and eateries.
The only bad meal we had was at the famous Peter Luger steakhouse, it was so overpriced and we left feeling disappointed with the food and the service, ( I was so shocked as generally the service in NY is impeccable) really i'd avoid it like the plague!
You'll find much better steaks, starters and side dishes elsewhere. We paid around $16 for 1 x beef tomato which was sliced into 4 and accompanied by three 2cm thick pieces of raw onion - the tomato wasn't ripe and there was no seasoning or dressing, it just didn't taste of anything. Anyway, i'll save the rest of my review for their page as this is meant to be a positive review of the excellent Box House!

Greenpoint as an area is a little rough and ready but I really like that and I think it's a great place. I didn't ever feel unsafe.
We would definitely stay at the Box House Hotel again, it's excellent value for money and would happily recommend it to friends and family, really the only flaw with our room was it was very bright in the mornings which meant we got up at 7am - but again, we really wanted to make the most out of our trip so didn't mind the early morning starts but others might want a lie in, so black out blinds might be a good investment.
Please do go and find out for yourself what a great place this is, we are saving up now for our next trip!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple