“Wonderful food!!!”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
“Wonderful food!!!”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

What a little hidden gem! This place was great!!! There were 4 of us so we ordered a bunch of different plates and shared. The Pork sliders with kimchee was the best! I think we ordered 2 plates of those since we were warned they were wonderful and addicting. The duck was to die for! We got there early and sat on the patio which has plenty of shade since it was nice and hot out. By the time we left, the place was packed and there were people waiting outside the front door. It's a must do if you're in the Brooklyn area!

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Rednkitty

Tucson, Arizona
“Fun Menu!”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

We were 6 people enjoying a lot of shared dishes family style. We had great starters including pork on a bun and kimchee. Waitstaff seemed spread a little bit thin. We were there on a Sunday evening and the place was packed and VERY noisy. Acoustics are tough! Food, however, was very good! We thought that the variety of the menu made it a great experience. Two dishes came out of the kitchen not as described on menu. In one case a substitution based on better fresh ingredients. The other case was a goof-up which they fixed right away.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Dianawallah
New York City, New York
“Great food, waitstaff needs better training”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I love the food at Purple Yam but the waitstaff needs better training. A waiter spilled my drink on me and didn't replace it. I asked him to replace it and he said sure, but nothing. The food is not cheap and is worth the price but that quality of the food doesn't compare with the service.

• Visited June 2012
Brooklyn, New York
“Filipino Delight”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Great Filipino-Korean restaurant in the heart of Ditmas Park's burgeoning restaurant scene. Creative, fun, and spicy cuisine served up in a welcoming atmosphere. The entire experience is memorable.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank Scott M
Sweet Briar, Virginia
“Delicious!”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

My friend and I visited The Purple Yam in March 2013. We both got special dishes that are not on the online menu. We had steamed dumplings with pull pork as starters. The fresh cilantro combined with pork meat and the soft, sweet, warm, fluffy steamed dumpling bread was so tasty. For my entree I had a bowl of lamb stew. There where whole okra pods in the stew, which I loved. The flavors and spices were so lovingly balanced. It was also a bit spicy. Easily the best lamb stew I have ever eaten! For dessert, I had the flan, which was wonderful as well.

The wait staff were not intrusive, yet they were very attentive. The place gets noisy when crowded, as it was the Friday night I was there. But its probably just the excellent food getting everyone worked up into good conversations. The wine menu is limited. They didn't have any malbec, but cab franc we drank instead was very nice. If you're in Brooklyn, it's well worth the stop to experience Filipino cuisine at The Purple Yam.

• Visited March 2013