“Great Sandwiches”

Cuisines: Deli
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Wanted to sample New York City Reuben sandwich and this is the perfect place for it. French fries were also great - recommend it highly.

1  Thank Ravishashi

Reviewed May 15, 2013

Born in Montreal but lucky enough not to be raised there (No on 14) I am always on the lookout for a good, piled high, smoked meat sandwich. Unfortunately my nephew and I arrived at 1015 and the lunch menu with smoked meat and poutine isn't available until 1130. I tried asking politely, I tried demanding, I offered money, I held my breath: the absolutely fabulous hostess just taunted me by casually looking at the clock then rolling her head back, smiling and saying "1130". She could crush a man's soul with her smile. She did. Breakfast menu. Nephew bagel sandwich with cream cheese and lox. Ranked much higher than Ottawa and approaching a charcuterie Hebraique in Montreal. Very good. Me smoked meat hash. Cook heard my pleas for smoked meat and added a bit extra on the grille. Just right potatoes, onions and crumbled smoked meat a little on the fatty side. Nailed it. Great coffee. And, dammit, the clock struck 1130 just as I settled the bill. Oh yeah. They do takeout. Real smoked meat sandwich. Soft flavorable rye bread not bitter. Spicy mustard. Juicy fatty spicy smoked meat piled high. Really really good pickle. As I finished my dinner a moment ago all I could think of is whether the rich people even know what they are missing. Like the great food and hospitality of Mile End.

2  Thank MCM92101
Reviewed May 11, 2013

We have read reviews on this deli and that the owners are from Montreal, so expected a Montreal style smoked meat but it is not. It is more like a southern style brisket that has spent time on a smoker, which the Montreal brisket does not.

That said, the sandwich was good, I did not think great. They ask if you want it lean, medium or fat, which on Montreal SM medium gives you some juicy, tender fat but as this is smoked, the fat is tough and chewy and not pleasant. The fries, coleslaw and potato salad were good, but over all, I would not make the long trip from Manhattan again. We also found it quite expensive, $50 with tip for 2 sandwiches with a couple of sides.

2  Thank tripfoodie18
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Don't go for the whitefish on bialy. The whitefish was so filled with onions and lemon that I couldn't taste the fish and the fish had a mealy texture. And I've had Montreal bagels so these were disappointing -- flat and with little taste. To top it off, it was $30 for a coffee, a tea and two whitefish bagels for breakfast. If you want whitefish on a bagel go to Shelsky's on Smith Street.

1  Thank sjp500
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I had heard about this place serving “Montreal-style” smoked meat sandwiches and so, as an ex-Montrealer whose family often dined on BEN’S smoked meat, I decided to give this place a try.

I had a smoked meat sandwich ($14), red cabbage cole slaw ($3) and a Diet Coke ($3).

Both the sandwich and cole slaw were great with regards to taste, although I found the sandwich on the small side and expensive for what I got. The smoked meat was stacked thick but they could have used rye bread with a wider diameter. And $3 is too much for a can of soda. (They had Labatt’s Blue for only $4, a much better value.)

The restaurant interior is kinda small with some large, pale-coloured wood tables on one side for groups, and a wood deli counter with chairs for individual diners. They were playing music from my college days including the Police, REM and the Church’s “Under the Milky Way”.

I’d like to give this place three and a half stars but you can’t do halves at Trip Advisor, so I’m rounding it up to four.