“Not for the food... I never got any!”
Review of Sky Ice

Sky Ice
Ranked #2,213 of 5,463 Restaurants in Brooklyn
Cuisines: Thai
Reviewed August 11, 2012

The place we saw on tv came to NYC?!! 2 hour wait?? Sure! Free beer while waiting inside the tiny entryway? Very nice!
Low prices, big portions, super fast service (once you finally get seated) and a percentage of each meal goes to charity? 5 stars!

As for the food... different stars for each dish.
The pickled vegetables- small bowl at $4 - not too spicy and very good pickled flavor with a super tasty dressing. 4 stars
Salted cod fried rice- this was the tastiest fried rice I've ever had, although I don't eat it often. 4-5 stars for great flavor and the texture/consistency of the rice was actually fluffy...Really different... Only problem it was super salty. (should have assumed that...salted cod..duh). This however, was not spicy.

Now I am not sure what made my boyfriend order the thrice cooked bacon, but he did. And whoa- this was the weirdest/spiciest/saltiest dish I have ever tasted. It left some weird tingling/numbing sensation in our mouths...really like nothing ever experienced before. It was bizarre. A combo of the spices and the way-too-salty thick bacon - not quite sure what numbed my tongue for 15 minutes. The rice saved us once it came out.
Turns out the peppercorns they use cause a tingling, numbing sensation. (If you google it, the type of peppercorns actually cause a neurological distortion!). The most bizarre meal experience ever, and really I thought the dish was quite awful.

Menu items sure are unique. I guess I'm not as adventurous as I thought.
Mapo Tofu bowl next to us looked awesome, but our neighbors said it was way too spicy to finish. Unfortunately, dishes that are too spicy for the average diner to finish is probably the norm here.

Probably the loudest, most tightly packed restaurant I have ever been in.
Wouldn't return for that ambience, only for take out. Maybe in a year when the place cools off. I do think this chef knows FLAVOR and I would return for take out of another couple of his dishes. After all, strong flavor is my favorite thing. Just can't deal with the overly salty (MSG maybe?) puffy hangover the next day.

There are newer reviews for Sky Ice

Reviewed June 24, 2012

This is a cute little place with a cute little menu. A place to have some desserts and/or small dishes, or even a meal, although they have a limited menu when it comes to main courses.

I had the "Slow Cooked Beef Panang" ($9.95), which came in a cardboard container and included a cardboard bowl of white rice. It was good - like a beef stew - but nothing to get overly exited about.

I had a bottle of unfiltered Bruce Cost ginger ale for $2.75 that was different and stimulating for a soda.

A small scoop of ice cream was included and I had caramel with sea salt. It was very tasty.

They had a ceiling fan but no air conditioning, and it was a very hot day, so it was hot inside the restaurant. (And I don't mean it was "hot" in a positive way.)

Although I'm only giving them three stars, I'd probably give them four stars on cooler days.

Reviewed January 13, 2012

I have to say that idea has some potential, mixing ice cream with fruit and rice and creating a new kind of dessert..

However, the realisation was poorly executed,for example the fruit was packaged fruit, not fresh and the rice was tasteless..

Moreover, the place was empty and smelled of fried food, while the chocolate bar in front had a line of people waiting to be seated and presents a much more attractive environment.

I would not suggest it to a friend, but I have to say that at least the ice cream was good.

Suggestion to the owner: use real fruit, not tasteless and cheap stuff and abandon the rice with fruit idea, it was absolutely tasteless... Good luck!!!

1  Thank World C
Reviewed November 20, 2011

A very simple, unassuming cafe' with a charming waitress.
The service, dishes and cutlery are of the "no frills" type, however we were very pleased with the quality and taste and the Thai food. I also had a coconut juice straight from the fresh coconut, which was a treat!
We didn't have any of the home made sorbets that were served at the counter, but they looked delicious and most of the customers were coming in for those.
Totally affordable prices.

1  Thank ByeByeBlues7

Been to Sky Ice? Share your experiences!