“Great stay for our quick stopover”
Review of Hotel Indigo

Hotel Indigo
Ranked #28 of 75 Hotels in Brooklyn
Reviewed January 15, 2013

We stayed in a two-queen bed room for one night for a show at the nearby Brooklyn Academy of Music and were very satisfied with our stay. For the AAA rate, we thought the value was excellent, I've never stayed in NYC for anything close to this. Our room was on the 15th floor and was absolutely silent the whole time we were there; no street noise or hall noise. The hotel is clean, modern and comfortable. I laugh at the "tiny rooms" comments because folks who say that have obviously never seen the closet-sized rooms in Italy or France, apparently! This room was more than ample for my sister and me and we had plenty of room to change, spread out our bags and move around. Beds were comfortable, bathroom clean and roomy, shower was hot, WiFi was free. That's all we could ask for.

The location was a short walking distance to BAM for the concert, which was perfect. Also we took the subway to Brooklyn Museum of Art and back, and it was quick and easy on the 2/3 line nearby, which left us right in the museum's front yard.

Check-in and check-out staff were friendly and efficient. We valet parked our car for $37, which is not a fee of the hotel but of an independent service. It's expensive, but it IS NYC.

As part of the renovation, there was no sign on the hotel, which made it very difficult to find (just look across from the Sheraton) and the restaurant was not yet ready for business, which just meant we ate at the wonderful Junior's for lunch and breakfast anyway. I'd return here for sure, would be interested to see how it is when the renovation is complete.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Karl B, Regional Director of Operations at Hotel Indigo, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2013

Dear amybatt,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a nice review. We appreciate your business and are so glad you enjoyed your room and the hotel overall. I love sharing comments such as yours with the staff as it's a real motivator to them.

I do apologize that our sign was not visable to you. I'm glad to say that as a new hotel, we recently had the sign installed and is now visbale for all to see.

I hope that next time your travels take you to the NYC area and Brooklyn in general, you will stay with us once again. I think you'll find many more improvements coming down the line shortly as we love sharing how we've grown with past guests.

Best Regards and again, thank you!

Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

Having read a TA review about the tiny rooms, I was prepared for the worst. But note, I still made a reservation because of the sweet price I got! The room was small , but it was quite comfortable for two of us on a weekend trip to the city (note one small bag). The location was great only a shot walk fr the subway, and also a short walk from Juniors restaurant, a Brooklyn institution worth a visit for breakfast and /or cheese cake. The parking is close, but expensive. I would return , especially with a good room rate.

• Stayed: January 2013
Karl B, Regional Director of Operations at Hotel Indigo, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2013

Dear BAEberly,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your most recent stay with us here at the Hotel Indigo Brooklyn. We appreciate the time you took to write this as well as having you as our guest. Sounds very much like you enjoyed your stay too.

Thanks for mentioning Juniors too, it truely is a Brooklyn institution and only a short walk from our hotel. Next time when you find yourself staying in Brooklyn, we hope you'll make the Hotel Indigo your hotel while traveling. Look for our new Brooklyn Brewhouse Restaurant to be open too, we're excited about it.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

I have stayed in many rooms in NYC and they are generally smaller than average, but this takes the cake. There is barely room to walk around the bed. There is nowhere to put even my one suitcase. I had to set up the ironing board and set my suitcase on that! This place just opened so there were very limited amenities but a discount was offered at the Sheraton's restaurant across the street. Parking is a nightmare. There is one open outdoor lot about two blocks away from the hotel and this is a somewhat sketchy neighborhood for an evening walk. I would call it "up & coming", but as a female travelling alone, I did not feel entirely safe. If you are lucky enough to find a place on the street, pay close attention to the signs. There is nowhere worthwhile to eat within walking distance. Brooklyn Heights is a short drive and there are many great options there. I can't rate this place as "poor", because it's brand new and the staff is quite nice, and even when the neighborhood gets a little better (which it will) there isn't anything they can do about the size of the rooms which is RIDICULOUSLY tiny.

Room Tip: Choose a hotel with acceptable room sizes. There are plenty in Brooklyn in better neighborhoods.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

Dear marty99x,

I wanted to reach out and thank you for writing a review on your recent stay with us here at the Hotel Indigo Brooklyn. This area of Brooklyn is without a doubt changing and everything is being re-energized by all the improvements to downtown and the area. We are seeing some amazing things happen here and the neighborhood continues to grow and expand.

I would like to let you know that very soon, our own Brooklyn Brewhouse restaurant will be opening at the hotel. This will allow all of our guests the option to dine in while staying with us, or even have room service brought right to your door.

I see you also mention the size of your room. I do apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced. We do have a few different room styles and we have gone to great lengths to make each room comfortable and pleasing to our guests. I hope that if your travels bring you back to the Brooklyn area you will give us another try. I believe you will find improvements more to your liking.

Reviewed December 24, 2012

I booked my room at the hotel Indigo in Brooklyn through a third party. My request was for three people on December 15, 2013. Of course, I arrived and was told by the front desk there were no double rooms available and my room had one double bed. Once I checked into the smallest hotel room I have ever seen. I noticed the sink was not working properly. The water was trickling out of the faucet. Within 20 minutes of checking into my room, I contacted the front desk to make them aware of the problem. They stated they would send someone up. One hour later they had not sent anyone to the room. I went to the front desk, spoke to Matt and requested another room. He politely stated they had no other rooms. I asked to speak to the manager, and he stated, he was the on duty manager and said there was nothing that could be done. He referred me to Jeremy the hotel manager, who would not be in until Monday. Matt stated that Jeremy would call me, but as of this date, December 24, 2012, I have not been contacted. I contacted my third party, Priceline, and advised them of the situation. After being on hold with them for twenty minutes, they contacted the hotel and referred me back to the manager. Although the staff was polite, the Indigo Hotel should have taken the room off-line to address the plumbing problems. Management was very unresponsive. The room should not have been rented. I will never stay in the Indigo hotel again. Additionally, I am filing a complaint with the agency responsible for regulating hotels in New York.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Gary C
Karl B, Regional Director of Operations at Hotel Indigo, responded to this reviewResponded December 25, 2012

Dear Gary C,

Please allow me to apologize for any inconvenience you experienced during your stay with us at the Hotel Indigo in Brooklyn. I'm not sure why the third party booking company booked you a double room instead of a room with 2 double beds, but I intend to investigate. I also see where you had an issue with the water in your bathroom and that maintenance did not respond to your needs. I do apologize for this.

Please allow me to contact the general manager to investigate further and to have him follow up with you. We take all our guest comments seriously and value everyones opinion, good or constructive. I will be following up shortly and appreciate your patience.

Best Regards and Happy Holidays,

Reviewed December 9, 2012

Stay away from this hotel!!! This place is ridiculously overpriced and is in a terrible location. Me and my friend came in town for a concert and stayed one night, which was much too long at this hotel. First of all, the room itself was so small that it resembled a walk in closet. If you are at all claustrophobic, beware! The shower followed suit with the rest of the room….SMALL… about 2 feet x 2 feet….horrible. The sink in the bathroom was busted…. Turn on the water and it shot across the room. Also, a high level of annoying noise, starting early in the morning….the cleaning staff could be heard easily, moving about and opening and shutting doors constantly. This hotel, apparently changed hands in August, which of course was not disclosed to us prior to booking…..so on arrival we found out that the bar/restaurant in the hotel was not even open for business yet. So, we were unable to get a drink or a meal conveniently. We were forced to go to some disgusting diner nearby which left a lot to be desired to say the least. For 400$ per night this hotel is NOT worth it! To top things off, upon check-out they tried to overcharge me by 90$ !!! ….Thank God I printed my booking reservation to prove the rate that I booked the room for. Think twice before wasting your hard earned money at this hotel!

Room Tip: JUst stay away from this hotel.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank maria60795
Karl B, Regional Director of Operations at Hotel Indigo, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2012

Dear maria60795,

Please accept my apologies on behalf of the management and staff regarding your recent stay with us here at the Hotel Indigo Brooklyn. I truely sounds like we did not meet your expectations while here and I wanted to reach out to you and let you know we received your comments.

I apologize for the restaurant not being opened while you stayed with us. On our website we have it noted and apparently the site through which you booked did not and we need to contact them as well to update our information. My apologies. I can tell you that our new Brooklyn Brew House restaurant is about ready to open and should be in full swing by years end.

We appreicate the time you took to write the review on your stay and hope that if your travels take you back to Brooklyn, you'll give us another chance and see the changes we have made.

Wishing you the best of a holiday season and a great new year,

Reviewed December 5, 2012

I am a big fan of NYC and I always stay in the best hotels 4 stars and up and you can enjoy facilities and so on. Now Brooklyn, the worst hotels have prices of the Plaza Athenee or the Waldorf, but with a location that is so so, a comfort so so , room so so, after all it is a so so story. I sent my wife there because my son lives in Brooklyn, and we thought it was a better solution, What a mistake. The Indigo is a $300 plus tax hotel with a service very close to a two stars. Even though my son lives in Brooklyn, I decided that the last time Brooklyn will taste my money, I prefer to feed the Taxi back and forth from Manhattan than to even think to try to find a reasonable priced hotel in Brooklyn. Indigo is not bad if I had paid $120/$140 tax included, I would have given it a average rating, room small and breakfast across the street. I have tried the Marriott many years ago and I had the same feeling, no relation whatsoever between price and service rendered, I guess the lack of hotels allows any existing hotel to be abusive, I say bye bye to them forever and hope their attitude take them ..... At this point I will only recommend people to not choose a hotel in Brooklyn, better go to Manhattan or wait maybe until the prices come back to reason in Brooklyn. I pay my limo service less than $30 to take me back to Manhattan, and less when it is a taxi and I enjoy better comfort and facilities for a lesser price. Indigo: room small, service small, facilities small, price huge, can someone explain? By the way I checked all the other hotels online and they all had the same level of high prices withe the same low level of ratings, go figure? So I guess it is a Brooklyn "terroir" problem.

Room Tip: get a price, the room have nothing to be impressed about. Think of the hotels in Brooklyn by ratio...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank pdnirc

Dear Grievey,

Thank you so much for your great review of our new hotel in Brooklyn. It sounds like you enjoyed your stay and I'm glad we were able to provide you with a better room. We did have a few kinks after opening and the placement of the sign out front was one of them. I apologize if this was an issue in finding the hotel. I can assure you, the signage is in place and all other issues have been resolved.

Thank you for your business as well and if you ever come back to Brooklyn, we're glad to see you would come back, we would welcome that!

Reviewed November 15, 2012

In some respects, this is a nice hotel. It's new, has nice decoration, and a very good location in Brooklyn. The staff is friendly and helpful. Free w-fi is a plus. However, a few things bothered me during my stay. First, as other reviewers have said, the rooms can be tiny. I stayed in a queen-sized room, which was very small. Not much space to put your stuff. Also, sometimes I couldn't get hot water in the shower (this usually happened at night). My parents stayed in a king-sized room, which was considerably larger. But they had problems with the heat. It was cold and windy outside and they couldn't get a comfortable temperature inside the bedroom. We called the hotel technician, who said he solved the problem, but he didn't. In sum, the hotel looks nice and has good location, but a few technical issues (hot water, heat) made the stay a little annoying.

Room Tip: Queen-size rooms are tiny. Get a king-size one if you can.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank RCunha
Jeremie F, Front Office Manager at Hotel Indigo, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2012

Hello,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Indigo Brooklyn and your comments on your recent stay with us. I apologize for the lack of consistent hot water and heat during your stay. I can assure you that the issues have been addressed. Our hotel does offer larger rooms such as a King size room or a Two Queen bed room. Thank you for taking note on our décor and staff. They work very hard to exceed guest expectations. We would hope you would consider giving us another try, if ever you visit Brooklyn again.
Best Regards