“Smallest hotel room I have ever stayed in” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Indigo

Hotel Indigo
Ranked #23 of 70 Hotels in Brooklyn
Jupiter, Florida
“Smallest hotel room I have ever stayed in”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

Negatives: This was by far the smallest, most cramped hotel room I have ever stayed in. I wasn't expecting this. There was no closet, no place to spread open my suitcase (except on the bed), and no drawers. I couldn't imagine staying in the room for more than one night or with another person.

Positives: The hotel was clean, up to date and in a nice neighborhood. There was free internet service and an excellent TV. Everything was clean and nice.

The AC didn't work when I got to the room, but it was fixed promptly and it worked fine.

I only stayed one night.

I just can't get over how small the room was.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank BrettBas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Boulder, Colorado
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

First...a little background. I work remotely for a company in Brooklyn, and travel to NYC 1-2x / month and have LITERALLY stayed everywhere in BK, and probably 50% of the hotels from midtown south. All that to say, I have a good idea of what the market is like, and have pretty reasonable expectations. Bottom line, if you need a cheap, clean place in BK...consider the indigo.

However, if you EVER need anything...you're on your own. They staff do try, but I consider it a MASSIVE failure of leadership, and am not optimistic that it will turn around. I'm happy to pay slightly more to minimize headaches and will NEVER return to the Indigo (and have advised my company to follow suit). Best thing that could have ever happened for the NU hotel is for indigo to lower the bar dramatically.

First, the good:

*The hotel is new, and sparkly clean as a result.
*Front desk staff are courteous and do what they can (which is very little in my experience).
*Beds are comfortable yet undersized as you'll find in many NYC hotels.
*Free wifi that is moderately fast.
*Unfortunately, that's pretty much where the "good" ends.
*Nice TVs, easy to use.
*good access to many trains.

The bad:

*The manager is TOTALLY absent. This is my BIGGEST beef with the indigo. I get that things go sideways sometimes, but hotels differentiate themselves by how mishaps are handled. On my first stay at Indigo...the fire alarms went off REPEATEDLY during the night for BOTH nights I was there. No matter these two nights were before a massive presentation I had...the manager said NOTHING about the incident. No apology or explanation, just lost sleep. Sooo I figured "maybe it was a one-time problem." NOPE. I rebooked 2 weeks later thinking I'd give them a second chance. Unfortunately, my assistant and I got our wires crossed and double booked me at two different hotels. Sadly, I HAD to keep the indigo reservation because my assistant (and I) called 15 minutes after the "cancellation policy" window (BTW, The NU hotel on smith street happily cancelled the duplicate reservation...because they've learned that our company books 15-30 nights/month at local hotels and clearly get that customer service matters). Between my assistant and I we left 4 different messages for the manager via phone, and I asked again in person after I arrived. NONE OF THESE MESSAGES WERE EVER RETURNED.

*Duffield is virtually impossible for cabbies to find...so if you go, take CLEAR directions with you. I used to stay at the Sheraton across the street...but stopped since it's more trouble than it's worth to get there, especially since there are better options.
*No tub. While I don't care...this is a deal breaker for many women.
*zero water pressure. I had to run around to get wet...and even then it was atrocious for a "new" hotel.
*no breakfast option (they send you over to the sheraton with a 10% off coupon)
*snacks in the lobby are hideously overpriced (and really? no breakfast and no FREE snacks).
*rooms are small...even for NYC. They're tiny tiny tiny. Bed, pseudo closet, not even a place for your things in the bathroom other than on the toilet.
*The neighborhood isn't even close to the best in brooklyn. While I'm o.k. with some local flair, I'm sure others would be less excited about having to walk down a dark street (Duffield) right after cruising Fulton St. mall. The best restaurants around are on Smith street...so you're wearing a path through there to get to eats.

In short, if you're looking in BK:

1. Nu (by a LOT)
2. Marriott
3. Sheraton/A-loft
4. Hotel Le Blue (even though it overlooks uhaul)
5. Indigo

• 1 of 5 bubbles
Jeremie F, General Manager at Hotel Indigo, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Dear Jaqfu,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding your experience here at Hotel Indigo Brooklyn. I am certainly disappointed that your stay was not all that it should have been.

I would like to apologize on behalf of the hotel and its team for your stay.
The interaction with our manager with regards to your comments about the unwarranted alarm is certainly not to the level of service we want to deliver to our guests and I will be sure to raise your experience with our entire service team as a training exercise.

I am pleased that you found the hotel to be sparkly clean, the bed comfortable and our location convenient. You may also be interested to learn that Brooklyn Brewhouse, our brand new bar/restaurant will open in just a few weeks.

I would take pleasure in welcoming you back after the restaurant opens so that you could experience the hotel as it was meant to be. Please feel free to contact myself directly via the below details when you travel again in Brooklyn so that I may personally take care of you and your next stay.

Once again please do accept my apologies and I do hope that you give us another chance.

With warmest regards,

Jeremie Foyoussa
718-254-7815
jeremie.foyoussa@downtownbrooklynhotel.com
Lake Forest, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

We've always had a great experience with the Indigo chain but this particular facility really doesn't cut it, particularly for the price. Service is courteous but somewhat unprofessional. As others have mentioned before, the room we had with a so-called Queen bed was not only tiny but poorly configured. It was like they had to carve out space for the shower right in the middle of the room. As a result the living space became a weird L shape, leaving very little room to maneuver. Granted the hotel is fairly new and is still working the kinks out but I don't think we'll return even if it was fully operational.. The surrounding neighborhood was rather sketchy. They could have moved just two blocks away and ended up with a much better location.

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms with a Queen bed ending with a number ending in 03. Rooms on that side of the b...
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Jeremie F, Front Office Manager at Hotel Indigo, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Hello and thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at Hotel Indigo Brooklyn. I am truly sorry to hear that while we are in transition to becoming a Hotel Indigo property, you experienced a few hiccups. Our hotel offers larger rooms such as Kings or two queen beds. We offer the amenities of a Hotel Indigo such as Complimentary Wi-Fi, Spa inspired showers, 24hr business and fitness center just to name a few. I would like you to give us another chance to experience our complete transformation because it will be inspired by our neighborhood and its history.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

This is a new hotel and they don't have their signage up yet. Therefore, very few of my car drivers knew where is was; when you give them the address, you have to tell them it is across from the Sheraton. The rooms are small but it is OK if you are mostly there just to sleep. Hopefully small bathrooms won't bother you, theirs are small. There were 2 suggestions I made to the front desk - to put a luggage rack in the rooms (I had to use a chair) and there is no place to hang long clothes. Maybe they could provide an over the door hook or something. I was lucky, I always carry 2 of them with me. I definitely recommend them.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Montevideo, Uruguay
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

I stayed there overnight about a week ago. Yes, the room was small but so are the rooms of most other hotels in NYC. Good location next to subway stations. At night the surroundings are a bit iffy but supposedly safe. I was surprised that there wasn't a single soda-vending machine at the hotel and when I felt thirsty past midnight I had to walk to a corner store. When my sister called me the receptionist said that is she didn't have my room number she could not transfer the call. My sister told them she did not know my room number and the telephonist suggested she call me to my cell to find out. I did get a discounted rate of $238 total/night.

Room Tip: Mine was a corner room with windows on both sides. It helped enlarge the room a bit.
Fletcher, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

I was looking to catch up with my sisters in NYC and do some business while there. Unfortunately, this was the week of 9/11, so trying to find a reasonably priced room in Manhattan was impossible. I grew up in Brooklyn, so I started looking there and was finding either hotels priced the same as Manhattan (people this is Brooklyn, NOT Manhattan) or real dumps that weren't that much cheaper. Just as I was about to give up, the Hotel Indigo popped up on the priority club website. I called and spoke to a manager named Susan who told me this was a new property and they would open on 8/1 (I was booking in June). I was very excited after speaking to Susan and seeing the rate at $240. When I arrived, I was greeted courteously and professionally by Yana. I was told that breakfast is not served here, but I could go across the street to the Aloft or the Sheraton and get a "discounted" rate (so i'm confused as to the reviewers who said they had meals here). There are no diners close by, but if you're OK with grabbing an egg sandwich on a roll and walking there are a couple of deli's on the way to the subway. I self-parked for $25/day (which was great!) and went to my room (804). BTW, my usual requests are a "high floor in quiet part of hotel" and I confirmed this when I called a week before checkin. After checking in, I was disappointed to find that the 8th floor was less than half-way up and the views were either of Duffield St. or the adjoining roof next door which had a tarp and many empty cans of tar on it (so high floor - no, and quiet part of hotel - no). I was prepared for the room not having any dressers, drawers, or shelves from what I read about other hotel Indigos, so this was not a surprise. However, be aware of this if you can't live out of a suitcase (literally). Another pleasant surprise: moments after arriving in my room, housekeeping knocked and asked if I needed any additional pillows, blankets, towels, etc. This was very nice, and I decided to stay in the room rather than ask to be moved. The noise did, however, prove to be annoying starting around 4 AM, so I put the fan on low to drown out the street noise. I did this the rest of my stay and got a good 5-6 hrs. of sleep.

The second day of my stay I returned to my room at midnight ready to have a nice cup of tea, when I found that housekeeping had not washed or replaced the cups at the coffee table after I used them the night before, but had just wiped them and put them back. I know this because I left residue on the bottom of both cups after using them, and it was smeared all around but not cleaned out. I went down to the front desk, showed them one of the cups, and asked for a clean one. They did get me one after a while, and I asked them to bring it to the attention of housekeeping. Unfortunately, the cups were never cleaned the rest of my stay and I resorted to washing them myself every evening before use.

Now, the area where the hotel is: You can get on any number of subway trains to get into NYC within a 2-3 block walk to the Jay St./Metrotech station. There's no concern with safety in this neighborhood until it gets dark. Coming back every night anytime from 11-12:30 to walk back to the Hotel at night was OK for me, but I would not have been as comfortable if I had my family with me. Likewise, the Fulton Mall is down the block from the hotel and is very nice during the day, but different at night. I've felt safer in Manhattan than this area.

To sum up:
1) Nice new building and rooms.
2) Staff overall very nice.
3) Always wash your cups before drinking out of them.
4) Ask for a room on the back side of the building (overlooking the parking lot) if you want the quietest part of the hotel.
5) Ask for floor 11 or higher for any kind of view.
6) If you're nervous about walking desolate streets late at night this might not be the area for you to stay.

Considering all the pros and cons, I would stay here again if I were on my own and the rates were closer to $200/night. I'm not sure I would stay here with my family. I had very high hopes for this hotel and location, but this neighborhood still has a long way to go.

Room Tip: Back side of hotel is quieter. Floors below 10 won't have any useful view.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your feedback on your stay with us. I apologize for the oversight on our part with the coffee cups during your stay at our property and can assure you that our Executive Housekeeper is aware of the situation and has been addressed with our room attendants. Also, thank you for the wonderful feedback on our customer service. If you contact me directly, I would be more than happy to accommodate your specific request on any future stays. We can customize it to fit your preferences such as a high floor on the back side of the building higher than the 11th floor with a good view. We truly appreciate your patience during this time and hope you will visit us again.
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2012

We stayed at the Hotel Indigo for 4 nights at the end of August. It had only had its soft opening a few weeks prior and wasn't even officially the Hotel Indigo yet (they were still waiting to get official approval to be part of the chain). We loved how clean and modern the hotel was! Having heard all of the horror stories about bed bugs taking over NY, we were quite concerned about that but we did not find any there. The front desk staff were very friendly and were helpful in providing suggestions and maps. Most of the staff seemed to know more about areas other than Manhattan (which is what we had the most questions about!), but in all fairness they had just started working there and said they were learning about the nearby sites too. They were all very pleasant though! We had driven there and the hotel doesn't have it's own parking, but a number of hotels in the area use the same public parking lot. It cost us $25/day which we were told is the best rate in the area. The thing we didn't like about the lot is that we had to leave our keys with them (which made my boyfriend nervous as he drives a very nice car!). They took good care of his car though and decided to leave it parked in one spot for our time there so they wouldn't have to move it around much (which gave us some piece of mind). They also had our car ready for us when we were ready to go.

The room: we stayed in a room with a double bed and the room was very, very small. This was our first time to NY so perhaps this is an average size, but we found it difficult to maneuver around the room with the furniture and our 2 small suitcases. With that being said the decor was very nice and the room was spotless! We really liked all of the modern touches. It was also very nice to have a mini fridge in the room that we were able to put our own drinks/snacks into.

The location: the hotel is situated very close to a few subway stations that will take you right into Manhattan (tip: if you are staying for at least 4 nights like we did and plan to cover a lot of area, we highly recommend getting the 1 week metro pass. It costs $30/person but we used it all of the time and definitely got our money's worth!). We ended up in Times Square 3/4 nights, and it's about a 15-20 minute subway ride. The hotel is about a 12 minute walk to the Brooklyn Bridge as well which we enjoyed walking across. The neighbourhood itself is a bit run down and it felt pretty deserted at night time with the exception of a few interesting people walking around. That made us a bit nervous but it ended up being safe.

Overall I would recommend this hotel for people who would like to explore Manhattan but are interested in saving some money (apparently people were paying about twice as much for the hotel across the street!). It had very easy access to Manhattan, and though we weren't crazy about the size of the room, it was a clean, comfortable, and trendy place to return to at the end of a busy day of sight-seeing.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple