$247
$249
$206
Cancelon
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsbrewhouse restaurantdowntown brooklynnew yorkrooms are smallfront desk staffconstruction noisehigh floorbarclays centergreat showermini fridgeeasy access to manhattansubway linebagelslamarnycblocktrain
Reviewed September 19, 2012

I stayed there overnight about a week ago. Yes, the room was small but so are the rooms of most other hotels in NYC. Good location next to subway stations. At night the surroundings are a bit iffy but supposedly safe. I was surprised that there wasn't a single soda-vending machine at the hotel and when I felt thirsty past midnight I had to walk to a corner store. When my sister called me the receptionist said that is she didn't have my room number she could not transfer the call. My sister told them she did not know my room number and the telephonist suggested she call me to my cell to find out. I did get a discounted rate of $238 total/night.

Room Tip: Mine was a corner room with windows on both sides. It helped enlarge the room a bit.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 19, 2012

I was looking to catch up with my sisters in NYC and do some business while there. Unfortunately, this was the week of 9/11, so trying to find a reasonably priced room in Manhattan was impossible. I grew up in Brooklyn, so I started looking there and was finding either hotels priced the same as Manhattan (people this is Brooklyn, NOT Manhattan) or real dumps that weren't that much cheaper. Just as I was about to give up, the Hotel Indigo popped up on the priority club website. I called and spoke to a manager named Susan who told me this was a new property and they would open on 8/1 (I was booking in June). I was very excited after speaking to Susan and seeing the rate at $240. When I arrived, I was greeted courteously and professionally by Yana. I was told that breakfast is not served here, but I could go across the street to the Aloft or the Sheraton and get a "discounted" rate (so i'm confused as to the reviewers who said they had meals here). There are no diners close by, but if you're OK with grabbing an egg sandwich on a roll and walking there are a couple of deli's on the way to the subway. I self-parked for $25/day (which was great!) and went to my room (804). BTW, my usual requests are a "high floor in quiet part of hotel" and I confirmed this when I called a week before checkin. After checking in, I was disappointed to find that the 8th floor was less than half-way up and the views were either of Duffield St. or the adjoining roof next door which had a tarp and many empty cans of tar on it (so high floor - no, and quiet part of hotel - no). I was prepared for the room not having any dressers, drawers, or shelves from what I read about other hotel Indigos, so this was not a surprise. However, be aware of this if you can't live out of a suitcase (literally). Another pleasant surprise: moments after arriving in my room, housekeeping knocked and asked if I needed any additional pillows, blankets, towels, etc. This was very nice, and I decided to stay in the room rather than ask to be moved. The noise did, however, prove to be annoying starting around 4 AM, so I put the fan on low to drown out the street noise. I did this the rest of my stay and got a good 5-6 hrs. of sleep.

The second day of my stay I returned to my room at midnight ready to have a nice cup of tea, when I found that housekeeping had not washed or replaced the cups at the coffee table after I used them the night before, but had just wiped them and put them back. I know this because I left residue on the bottom of both cups after using them, and it was smeared all around but not cleaned out. I went down to the front desk, showed them one of the cups, and asked for a clean one. They did get me one after a while, and I asked them to bring it to the attention of housekeeping. Unfortunately, the cups were never cleaned the rest of my stay and I resorted to washing them myself every evening before use.

Now, the area where the hotel is: You can get on any number of subway trains to get into NYC within a 2-3 block walk to the Jay St./Metrotech station. There's no concern with safety in this neighborhood until it gets dark. Coming back every night anytime from 11-12:30 to walk back to the Hotel at night was OK for me, but I would not have been as comfortable if I had my family with me. Likewise, the Fulton Mall is down the block from the hotel and is very nice during the day, but different at night. I've felt safer in Manhattan than this area.

To sum up:
1) Nice new building and rooms.
2) Staff overall very nice.
3) Always wash your cups before drinking out of them.
4) Ask for a room on the back side of the building (overlooking the parking lot) if you want the quietest part of the hotel.
5) Ask for floor 11 or higher for any kind of view.
6) If you're nervous about walking desolate streets late at night this might not be the area for you to stay.

Considering all the pros and cons, I would stay here again if I were on my own and the rates were closer to $200/night. I'm not sure I would stay here with my family. I had very high hopes for this hotel and location, but this neighborhood still has a long way to go.

Room Tip: Back side of hotel is quieter. Floors below 10 won't have any useful view.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Jeremie F, Front Office Manager at Hotel Indigo, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2012

Thank you for your feedback on your stay with us. I apologize for the oversight on our part with the coffee cups during your stay at our property and can assure you that our Executive Housekeeper is aware of the situation and has been addressed with our room attendants. Also, thank you for the wonderful feedback on our customer service. If you contact me directly, I would be more than happy to accommodate your specific request on any future stays. We can customize it to fit your preferences such as a high floor on the back side of the building higher than the 11th floor with a good view. We truly appreciate your patience during this time and hope you will visit us again.

Reviewed September 15, 2012

We stayed at the Hotel Indigo for 4 nights at the end of August. It had only had its soft opening a few weeks prior and wasn't even officially the Hotel Indigo yet (they were still waiting to get official approval to be part of the chain). We loved how clean and modern the hotel was! Having heard all of the horror stories about bed bugs taking over NY, we were quite concerned about that but we did not find any there. The front desk staff were very friendly and were helpful in providing suggestions and maps. Most of the staff seemed to know more about areas other than Manhattan (which is what we had the most questions about!), but in all fairness they had just started working there and said they were learning about the nearby sites too. They were all very pleasant though! We had driven there and the hotel doesn't have it's own parking, but a number of hotels in the area use the same public parking lot. It cost us $25/day which we were told is the best rate in the area. The thing we didn't like about the lot is that we had to leave our keys with them (which made my boyfriend nervous as he drives a very nice car!). They took good care of his car though and decided to leave it parked in one spot for our time there so they wouldn't have to move it around much (which gave us some piece of mind). They also had our car ready for us when we were ready to go.

The room: we stayed in a room with a double bed and the room was very, very small. This was our first time to NY so perhaps this is an average size, but we found it difficult to maneuver around the room with the furniture and our 2 small suitcases. With that being said the decor was very nice and the room was spotless! We really liked all of the modern touches. It was also very nice to have a mini fridge in the room that we were able to put our own drinks/snacks into.

The location: the hotel is situated very close to a few subway stations that will take you right into Manhattan (tip: if you are staying for at least 4 nights like we did and plan to cover a lot of area, we highly recommend getting the 1 week metro pass. It costs $30/person but we used it all of the time and definitely got our money's worth!). We ended up in Times Square 3/4 nights, and it's about a 15-20 minute subway ride. The hotel is about a 12 minute walk to the Brooklyn Bridge as well which we enjoyed walking across. The neighbourhood itself is a bit run down and it felt pretty deserted at night time with the exception of a few interesting people walking around. That made us a bit nervous but it ended up being safe.

Overall I would recommend this hotel for people who would like to explore Manhattan but are interested in saving some money (apparently people were paying about twice as much for the hotel across the street!). It had very easy access to Manhattan, and though we weren't crazy about the size of the room, it was a clean, comfortable, and trendy place to return to at the end of a busy day of sight-seeing.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 5, 2012 via mobile

Great hotel really nice staff. My bf booked a room for my birthday so we could have a night out in the city. They even have a cute rooftop bar. The rooms are trendy... with very comfortable bedding. I always fear bed bugs everytime i stay away from home.. but tjis hotel is exceptionally clean. Even lobby bathrooms are great!!

Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank justss0meyecandy
Reviewed September 3, 2012

I am so pleasantly surprised by Indigo! Beautiful good sized rooms with hardwood floors. I have paid twice their rate for half the space and quality in NYC.

My reservation was somehow cancelled but they booked me a room anyway and got me in right away with no fuss.

I will make this my new favorite for my quick work trips to NYC!

• Stayed: September 2012