“Not worth it!!” 2 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Lancaster, Massachusetts
“Not worth it!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014

The room was small which is expected I guess. Did not look very clean - dirt on the floors. We didn't have towels in our room and it took about a half hour to get them. No where really to get food - a small room service menu. We have stayed in many hotels around the world and this was not a 4 star and not worth the money. And we were in a Deluxe room!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Tlavallee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014

My friend and I stayed here for 4 nights while on vacation to celebrate New Year's Eve on Manhattan Island and would recommend this hotel. The room was clean and extremely comfortable. Crisp linens and piles of the comfiest pillows you'll ever find. They have a really interesting selection of natural snacks and non-alcoholic beverages available in room. Our room was on the fifth floor and we could only hear the people next door when they were talking in the hallway outside our room. The room was quiet otherwise and neither of us noticed any noise or rumbling from the subway. The staff were all super nice and very accommodating and knowledgeable of the subway routes to get to where we needed to be on the island. The lighting in the washroom is beautiful, but I would have liked to have seen a counter by the sink for our toiletries, etc. It wasn't a big deal for me, though, because there is a large and easily accessible mirror on either side of the bed with a shelf (bed stand) under each.

Some comments have been made about the neighborhood. Being that this was our first trip to NYC we were cautious and didn't know what to expect. The neighborhood looks a little rough around the edges, but we never ever felt unsafe during the day or at night on trips to the local restaurants or the subway station that is located a short three blocks away. I found the neighborhood interesting, vibrant, and charming and the impression I got from the locals was they were genuine, honest, hard working people.

It was extremely easy to get to and from Manhattan Island from the hotel using the subways, which made for an enjoyable trip for my friend and I that is only filled with very good memories of warm and friendly people wherever we went.

I would for sure stay here again and would wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank edmfan
Hayward, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2014

I liked the hotel itself fine. I have no problem with the neighborhood. I never felt threatened or anything like that walking too and from the train.

the hotel itself is fine. only fine, but I'll explain that later. It was NYE and they had a party downstairs. also offer breakfast. We didn't participate in either of those things. It's no slight on BPM, we just don't like people or waking up before 11am.

Our problem was with how thin the walls seem. It would be like 3 or 4 am and doors would be slamming, we'd hear people talking in the hallway. That puts a serious cramp in your ability to sleep in until 11 or 12 and still be fully rested. pack earplugs or stop by Duane Reed to get some.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Rebecca R, Manager at Hotel BPM Brooklyn, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
I am very sorry for your poor stay, NYE was a busy night for the hotel, we had many groups staying with us so a lot of celebrating was going on. I sincerely apologize for the noisy stay. Hopefully you can come visit us again I am sure the stay will be much quieter.
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2013

It is a bit like this hotel was picked up from one of the modern high-end areas of Manhattan and dropped pretty much into a very run-down neighborhood in Brooklyn. One block in every direction there is basically no options for good quality New York food of any kind. The breakfast in the hotel was also pretty lousy and if I didn't have a business engagement to attend in another part of Brooklyn, I would have spent the entire 24 hours in the city stuck at the BPM.

All the ammenities in the BPM are 4-star and it has that nice boutique feel (rooms are comparable to other New York rooms), but not being comfortable walking around outside makes a second stay at the BPM unlikely.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank bbotch
Rebecca R, Manager at Hotel BPM Brooklyn, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
I am sorry to hear that your expectations were not met when it came to the neighborhood that we are in, Hotel BPM is leading the way for Sunset Park to begin transitioning and still has some time to become as popular as other Brooklyn neighborhoods like Park Slope, or Williamsburg. However, I wouldn’t say that is necessarily a bad thing, what this neighborhood lacks in aesthetic appeal it gains in authenticity. This neighborhood offers up great Turkish, Latin Caribbean, Central American and South American food. Sunset Park is rich in these cultures and we have never before received complaints about the food in the surrounding area. Restaurants like Taksim, La Parada, La Familia, Big Johns and Spiros just to name a few, serve culturally authentic food, I am not sure what could be more New York than that. This neighborhood’s deep rooted history does not stop there; we are only steps away from the resting place of many influential people buried at Greenwood Cemetery such as Jean-Michel Basquait, Leonard Berstein and Horace Greeley. Getting to any other popular part of Brooklyn or Manhattan is extremely simple since we are only two express stops from Manhattan and we are only 20-30 minutes away from popular Brooklyn areas. I am extremely happy to hear that you enjoyed our services and amenities and I am happy to say that there is more to come very soon. We are definitely working to improve the breakfast menu and the items we have on it. Hopefully you can give us a second chance so can show you what this neighborhood can offer.
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2013

The hotel was clean and fixtures updated, but talk about tight space. There absolutely was no counter space in the bathroom so if you are a female, forget about having space to place your toiletries and makeup. I mean there was a one-inch lip around the edge of the sink. That's how bad it was. The shower was adequate and at least had updated fixtures. I stayed in a room with my daughter so we had two suitcases. We could barely walk between the bed and the desk in the room so we had to put our suitcases up next to the exit door to the room and squeeze through the door to get to the outside hallway. The closet was more like a cupboard and not full size so no room to put a suitcase or hang full size coats or dresses. I also did not think the service was outstanding at the front desk and the breakfast in the morning was about like a Holiday Inn Express, but worse. My final summation -- I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Unless they have bigger rooms and bathrooms with counter space, I'm not sure what other tip I co...
Green Features: I certainly didn't experience any environmentally-friendly practices.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
PA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2013

Stayed here for one night in December. Rooms are standard boutique size (read: SMALL). Streaming netflix on the room television was a plus. Don't be bamboozled by the "Open bar" during the weekends, it is a farce. Terrible, eastern european beer and house vodka comprise the "open bar." Staff was friendly. If you are not driving the location is problematic and FAR from other areas in BK and Manhattan. I do not recommend staying here for longer stays than a night or two, but Hotel BPM does serve the purpose of a brief, no-frills, affordable stay in NYC. If you do drive, do not opt for the hotel parking. Find street parking for free.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank earllee
HotelBPM, Manager at Hotel BPM Brooklyn, responded to this review, December 28, 2013
Hello Earllee,
Thank you for taking time out to review our hotel. Our rooms, just like many other hotels here are standard New York boutique size which is much smaller in New York than you would find in any other city. We are glad to hear you enjoyed the Smart TV in your room.

I am sorry to hear that our free drinks did not meet your expectations as we not familiar with any other hotel that offers free drinks that we can we could compare our open bar to. We do however rotate the selection each weekend. I am happy you inform you that beginning in 2014 we will have a full selection of beers, wines, cocktails for our guests to chose from at the bar. As far as the European beer, we do our best to help match the needs of our international groups in house.

Many of our guests find traveling to Manhattan to be very easy as we located near an express line which just 3 streets away allowing for quick access to Manhattan hotspots as well as one stop access to the Barclay Center recently named the #1 area. As we do have parking available at the hotel we do inform all of our guests of the free local street parking available in the area.

We do hope you chose BPM again for your next travels to New York as we continue to improve and work to be very travelers favorite hotel.
London, Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2013

Overall, the hotel is fine; however, there were a couple of things that keep me from giving the htoel a stronger rating. The good news is that the manager was empathetic and handled our issues with respect and professionalism...

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

HotelBPM, Brand Manager at Hotel BPM Brooklyn, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Hello Heather,
We are happy to hear that our team at BPM Brooklyn was able to assist you in your matter. We currently changed management and hope that this transition did you effect your stay with us. We would love to have you back with us again. Feel free to reach out to our AGM Ms. Roldan at rroldan@hotelbpmbrooklyn.com