“I never even got to book this B&B”

Garden Green Bed and Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Brooklyn
Garden Green Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #49 of 57 Brooklyn B&B and Inns
London, England
“I never even got to book this B&B”
Reviewed July 23, 2006

I tried to book a one night midweek stay at this B&B only to be told that it was too far in advance to book one night, and that should someone else want the room for a longer stay they would not wish to turn that person away. The suggestion was that I wait until nearer my visit and provided they hadn't had a 'better' booking than mine then they might fit me in. I appreciate that this is a small business, but if you offer rooms on this basis you should not be able to treat people in this way. I have stayed in small hotels/guest houses of this kind before and have never recieved such a reply. Had I booked the room, I may have liked it and considered staying there again. She has obviously never heard the expression 'a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush' I hope that the room stays empty and that she doesn't get another 'longer' booking!

• Disliked — The attitude of the owner
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't book too far in advance unless you are staying for at least one week
Stayed June 2006, traveled solo
6 Thank Stillcounting

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 13, 2006

Very welcoming. Stayed in a twin room, which was very comfortable. Great location near two subways and route into manhattan. Highly recommend.

• Stayed July 2006
1 Thank LightningDamage
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 4, 2006

I went to this place not only with good intentions but with every intention of booking it. Instead I was shooed away by an easily offended and, to me, offensive owner.

Since my parents were coming to town, I was interested in finding them a place close to where I live. Garden Green was the closest, so I figured I'd check it out. The owner showed me the garden (lower) apartment, which seemed nice--the bathroom is small, but it's a good, fairly typical Brooklyn brownstone apartment.

I then asked the owner if she minded if I lay on the bed to see how comfortable it is. She replied that she did mind because the bed was made. I found it odd that she'd be put off or surprised by such a request, but nonetheless I said ok, remained positive, and still intended to book the place. I explained to her that my Dad has a bad back and that I just wanted to make sure the bed was halfway comfortable for him. Her three replies: "You need to go stay at a Marriott," "You need an orthopedic hotel," and "We're like family here," as if I was missing the point of the place by inquiring about the comfort level of the bed. I told her we were not looking for a Marriott, reiterated that I just wanted to find "a halfway comfortable place," and I left.

Granted, this all may have been a simple misunderstanding in which she simply thought I and my parents are pickier or more demanding than we actually are. At this point she deemed me unsuitable as a guest, gave me a brief lecture on her place, and got rid of me. The irony/sad part is that we certainly aren't the 4 Seasons types, and the place probably would have been fine for my folks. Though I made this clear to her in a number of ways, she remained tremendously off-putting.

The bottom line for potential customers visiting this website is: Garden Green might be physically ok for your lodging needs, but be very careful in asking for anything from the owner. Her condescension towards me suggests that she is decidedly NOT kind to her guests. Thus, I strongly recommend avoiding this place if at all possible.

• Stayed January 2005
23 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these Brooklyn hotels

Bedford, Texas
Reviewed December 12, 2005

This being my first stay in Brooklyn, I found my stay at the Garden Green Bed and Breakfast a peaceful place to rest. We were welcomed at the door by Keith and Laura and graciously excorted to our room. The room was reminiscent of childhood memories leaving you feeling very secure much like when you were a child and you just knew mom and dad were downstairs taking care of everything.
Comfortable beds, puffy warm quilts and a very clean environment left us sleeping well. In the parlor, there were a lot of brochures and information on upcoming events and places to see. Laura shared many interesting stories from galleries and musical events.
Although there is no breakfast served, the coffee shops are some of the nicest and just 2 minutes from the door.
We shared a bathroom and found this absolutely no problem. In fact, I was never sure who I was sharing it with because the facility/great shower was always available upon need. Very clean.
I would only ask one thing of the owners which would have made the stay perfect and that would be to have a pot of coffee in the parlor just in the morning. Having that first cup, sitting in the parlor with some brew just seems to fit the ambience, before you head off sight-seeing.
Garden Green is located in a safe neighborhood that is accessible to everything. Great location. Price is right and owners are fantastic. You will enjoy your your stay.

• Stayed December 2005