“First Class”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Boston
“First Class”
Reviewed March 16, 2014

I came from Boston to visit some old friends and for business. From the moment you step inside, the place is simply first class. I was greeted by someone outside who showed me to the front desk. The staff pointed me in the right direction and were very helpful. Later I went down to get drinks at Elm--had the best mojito of my life. After a busy Saturday, it felt so cool to see the design of my room--especially the heated floors and the view of the park.

The subway is right there to Manhattan and took me no time. Its a great value and I plan on coming once to King & Grove at least once a month when i travel to New York.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Alistair M, Regional General Manager at McCarren Hotel & Pool, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Dear Jason A,

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review from your recent stay with us.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay as well as appreciating our central location in the heart of Brooklyn but still a stones throw to Manhattan.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future and in the meantime please feel free to follow us on Twitter and Facebook for upcoming special offers.

Alistair MacLean

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 16, 2014

We came across the East River for a staycation and could not have picked a better location. The staff was terrific from beginning to end, accommodating our every need. Though we didn't eat at The Elm, we certainly took advantage of the beautiful bar for cocktails and a couple of choice items from the kitchen before heading out to dine in the food-friendly neighborhood. Lastly, views from our room of the Manhattan skyline were terrific. Looking forward to returning when the rooftop and pool are open!

Room Tip: Request a room with a view of the Manhattan skyline if available.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear 899Adam899,

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay as well as appreciating our award winning service.

I look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future and in the meantime please feel free to follow us on Twitter and Facebook for upcoming special offers.

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed March 11, 2014

Boutique hotel a subway stop from Manhattan at decidedly un-Manhattan prices! We booked a King room for a weekend getaway with friends and though services are basic, everything is clean, stylish, quiet (the otherwise noisy rooftop bar is closed in winter) and the location, steps from prime Williamsburg is awesome. Book in advance for best rates. I don't think we'll go anywhere else from now on. Makes a weekend escape to New York comfortable and affordable. Awesome bed.

Room Tip: Rooms on the north side have nice little balconies.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Alistair M, General Manager at McCarren Hotel & Pool, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Dear KitLP,

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay as well as appreciating our central location in the heart of Williamsburg.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed March 3, 2014

We stayed for 2 nights while attending a nearby wedding.

First, the staff was VERY helpful. Rooms were small but adequate, clean, and well stocked. Dining for breakfast was good but a bit pricey (but we are in NY).

The hotel is well located for shopping and dining and w/o traffic a 15-minute cab ride to Manhattan.

Recommended!

Only downside is the lobby is not well heated..

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
AlistairKingGrove, General Manager at McCarren Hotel & Pool, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Dear JoeHouston52,

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future and in the meantime please feel free to follow us on Facebook and Twitter for upcoming special offers.

Hockessin, Delaware
Reviewed February 20, 2014

We came to New York to see 3 Broadway shows and didn't want to spend a fortune on a hotel. We got an EMAIL special offer for this hotel and found it to be a delight. The rooms are on the small side but very attractive and well-appointed. The staff is charming and very responsive.

Located next to McCarren Park, it's 5 short blocks to the L line into Manhattan. The neighborhood is vibrant, with lots of small restaurants and shops. We would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Ask for one overlooking the park.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear FrequentTraveler4446,

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us as well as appreciating our central location in the heart of Williamsburg.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future and in the meantime please feel free to follow us on Facebook and Twitter for upcoming special offers.

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed February 19, 2014

LOVE the pool area !
very central - in the hub of Williamsburg
perfect for bar hopping with an easy walk to brewery , wythe , coffee shops etc etc
did not like that there was no coffee or tea in room and then after 7am you could go to lobby and pay for a cup of ready made !!
come on guys - give your guests a free cup of coffee !!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dear lalaux,

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay as well as enjoying our central location in the heart of Williamsburg.

I have noted your comments regarding coffee and have certainly taken them onboard and we explore coffee and tea options for our guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future and in the meantime please feel free to follow us on Twitter and Facebook for upcoming special offers.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 7, 2014

Number one issue - the sound of the music from the upstairs bars at weekends which permeates at least three floors and which they CAN shut off, they say they will lower, but they don't. I stayed for 3 weeks. Staff were pleasant but decor was really poorly thought out and reminded me of my British boarding school. No room to work at a desk, no cutlery with the drawers, too dark to see into the cupboard. All of which are cavils compared to the sound issue. That's unforgivable, because it's entirely of their own making, and the owner/managers don't care - and there's only 8 people in the bar on an average winter night! Incredible. And the food from the restaurant is limited by hotel standards in terms of variety, if small and delicious. I will say it had THE best cocktail.

Room Tip: Get a room on a lower floor away from the sound of the upstairs bar if you're staying at the wee...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank OMAR M
Dear OMAR M,

I was disappointed to read about the various issues you had during your stay. I apologize for the music from our roof top. We have events up there from time to time and we try to keep the music at a reasonable level but it is clear from this time that it too loud and I sincerely apologize for that.

With regards to the design of the room, I am sorry it was not to your liking but this is not a common complaint that we get. Nor is the lack of cutlerly in the drawer of the desk as we provide this with room service orders. I guess it cannot be to everyone's liking.

I do hope you will give us a chance on a future trip to NY. Please feel free to reach out to me directly so I can handle your reservation personally and you can be rest assured you will leave us with a different impression should you wish to give us another chance.