“Youthful, energetic, fun”

McCarren Hotel & Pool
Ranked #14 of 73 Hotels in Brooklyn
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Very reasonably priced and in a terrific location near the top of the Bedford Street restaurant and street scene. Modern, well appointed, clean and decidedly hip. In my mid-50's I definitely felt like I was one of the oldest visitors - a feeling which was accentuated when I spent a few hours on a warm afternoon hanging out by the pool. It's a party atmosphere with music and a mostly a tattooed, artistic 20-30'ish crowd poolside. But everyone is very friendly and chill. There will be a few young families with kids, but not many.

Continental breakfast in the lobby was adequate but not inspired - though they are working on the downstairs restaurant, so dining will certainly improve in the near future. There is a rocking bar on the rooftop which has amazing views of the Manhattan skyline.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the pool hear a hint of poolside music, but it's nothing obtrusive. I'd go with...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank bretthodges
Write a ReviewReviews (1,159)

Reviewed June 6, 2013

Our experience at this hotel was nothing but pleasant! From the moment we stepped out of the taxi to the moment we stepped out the door to leave, this place was very nice. Would definitely stay again! All the staff was very pleasant and helpful to us. The bed was superb, so comfortable and very soft nice linen.
The lobby has opened back up at Memorial weekend, after remodeling was completed. The rooftop bar was great and a must see at night...a beautiful view of the Manhattan skyline. The pool is lovely and clean. Every morning we were there, the staff washed the deck around the pool, it was evident of the care taken to maintain this area. There is no ice machine available to get your own ice. But with just a phone call to the front desk, it was delivered quickly to our room. The continental breakfast was great, with items such as yogurt, fruit, pastries (these were from the famous Balthazar bakery from Sex and the City! YUM!), hard boiled eggs, and other items.
A perfect location...many restaurants to choose from. Try BECO, it is a Brazilian restaurant. The filet Mignon sandwich was excellent! It is just several blocks away.
Our shower did not splash water, as in other review, it had a glass shield in place that kept the water inside the shower. Room was small but very nice!
Stay here, you won't be disappointed! Go to the hotel web site for really good deals for advance booking, and you can cancel without penalty if you give a 24 hr notice.

Room Tip: the rooms with street view had the balconies, but view is only of the trees across the street. Next...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 6, 2013

I spent one night there in May because my son lives in the neighborhood and wanted me to spend more time there,(not just in Manhattan), and I loved it!
The staff was terrific, I wanted to know a place to get coffee before heading into Manhattan and I loved the recommendation of the desk person He suggested Kasia's and it was great. There was construction at the hotel but they made up for it by offering free breakfast and also wine and beer( which I didnt check out). The room was nice, clean, quiet and very comfortable.
The neighborhood has a great vibe, reminds me of the Village when I was in my 20s.
For my next visit to see my son, I plan on 2 nights there and 2 in Manhattan..Thanks for such a great stay!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Visiting my son in Williamsburg....he found this hotel.
Minimalist decor in wonderful greys.
Breakfast in the entry/bar area.
Situated in the most wonderful eclectic part of Brooklyn...Williamsburg.
Full of the old and new cultures ....with Geat Bars and interesting boutiques.
Walk to everything.
I will certainly stay here one more time.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 4, 2013

We felt pampered in this sleek hotel while visiting our son and his wife who live in Williamsburg. We could walk to their apartment through the lively streets of the neighborhood, which is filled with excellent spots for dining. The hotel staff was accommodating, helpful and very professional; we enjoyed the complimentary breakfast (which was light and healthy) and the evening complimentary drinks and snacks. The view of New York City at night from the rooftop is spectacular, and the room was quiet and very comfortable. It will be our #1 choice for our next visit.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 26, 2013

The staff is what makes this hotel special. Everyone is exceptionally nice, Isha at the front desk, the door men, housekeeping, everyone. The rooms are big for NY standards, though there is no closet so to speak and the bathrooms while big are sloppy - whoever designed showers with only a curtain that does not reach the floor to keep water must have never taken a shower before. What a mess! But you get by that.

The neighborhood is very interesting - full of young people, artists and tourists, there are at least 3 restaurant per block, each offering something different, really fun way to spend a weekend.

However, don't bring a car, the hotel still doesn't have a arrangement with the parking lot next door and the rates are high - street parking is confusing, you are sure to get a ticket and maybe even towed!

When we stayed the restaurant, roof top and pool still were not open - we sneaked a peek and they are beautiful though.

If you are planning to visit Manhattan, I would suggest staying in Manhattan for the price.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 17, 2013

We had my parents stay here while visiting us in Brooklyn. I'm not sure why I am surprised when EVERYONE at a place of business is as helpful, friendly and polite as they were at King and Grove. From the doorman to the front desk, they were all wonderful. After we checked in they sent us to the room with complimentary glasses of wine and suggestions for dinner.

The room was beautiful and modern and my folks said the bed was comfy and they slept great.

It's located in a great part of Williamsburg, just a half block from Bedford Ave where all the cute shops and restaurants are. And if you're traveling by train it's only a 5 minute walk from the Bedford L stop.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family