“Seems forgotten” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Cambridge, MA
“Seems forgotten”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

I stayed overnight at the King & Grove to see what hotels are like in Brooklyn as opposed to NYC, now that Williamsburg is so in fashion and because I had an event in Brooklyn that night. There is no sign in front of the hotel, so make sure you know the address. The staff is courteous but not engaging. They seemed as bored with the place as I was. It was indeed very slow there as told to me by a few staff members.

They upgraded my room, clearly because it was empty and the room was nicely furnished with a king size bed, large flat screen and a small but modern bathroom. (no tub). This is my idea of a hotel room for one because its all about the bed. For two, and if I had real luggage, it would have been a tight fit.

Their restaurant is under renovations and the pool and roof are closed for the season. Understandable. I asked for hot water and tea because there was no kettle in the room and it was delivered with no charge. They ordered me a taxi for my event with no issue. So all seems up to snuff. I guess this place might be more interesting in the summer. Off season, its pretty slow. Good for sleep though. :)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
Helsinki, Finland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

King and Grove is located in a great place in Williamsburg in the middle of nice shopping areas and great restaurants and cafes. The place itself is new and clean, rooms are smallish but comfortable and nicely decorated. The bed and sheets are awesome! The hotel is quiet so you really get a good night's sleep.

Months before our trip and making our reservation we read that some parts of the hotel were under renovation but soon to be ready. This was unfortunately not the case. There was e.g. no restaurant or rooftop place which was a pity since the view to Manhattan would've been awesome from this location. The breakfast was so limited I wouldn't even call it a breakfast. Half of the staff was really nice but half seemed to not care so much about their job or being nice to the guests. However, things happened fast and our requests were always answered in good time. There's very limited space for your stuff in the room which made things a bit difficult. In our room there was only one small closet and one (!) hook to hang stuff, so there was e.g. no room even for both of our towels (coincidentally we only had one set of towels when arrived...).

But in any case, the minuses are so small I could see myself staying in the hotel again and enjoying all the nice things Williamsburg has to offer!

Room Tip: King size bed was truly royally huge!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Came across this little know hotel in Williamsburg. Williamsburg used to be a tough area but is becoming gentrified w several good restaurants and its safe to walk at night. Hotel has pool, bar, restaurant, and seldom used fitness center. Great outdoor roof top bar with view of Manhattan weather permitting. Rooms are smallish but trendy and very clean. Bands play in the park across from the hotel during the summer on Wednesdays... afterwards they show old movies. Local restaurants showcase their meals under "tented awning" type stalls along one side of the park. 4 blocks a way is a two stop subway connection to Union Square in Manhattan. I stayed here 8 times in 2012 while on business.
I paid $250-$320 per night depending on season.

ron p

Room Tip: All the rooms are nearly identical. There's a premium cost for larger rooms but from what I can...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Chapel Hill, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Stayed here for 5 nights and loved the especially helpful staff (every single person!), spacious, clean, comfortable & quiet room, great bed, and the easy access to Manhattan. Got a good, but still pricey, deal on Jetsetter.com, and would think about splurging for one with a balcony & Manhattan view if I spent much time in the hotel. There are great restaurants, shops, nearby, and it's a couple of blocks from both G & L trains, so easy access to BK highlights, plus ~20 minutes to even uptown museums, etc. The restaurant is being renovated, so there are some minor some inconveniences, but any request was gladly met by the cheerful staff. Just for reference, this is my second week-long visit to Williamsburg, and I truly love the whole diverse BK experience, plus being on the quieter side of the river after 12 hours in NYC. I will stay here again, and prefer it over the first trip's hotel (see TA review), but If you are looking for glitzy swank, you might prefer the larger chains that are nearby or in the city.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a Manhatten view a few floors up to avoid street noise.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
King and Grove W, Front Office Manager at McCarren Hotel & Pool, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the Spring. The Pool @ King & Grove opens on May 25. Our Roof Deck opens on July 1 and our new Restaurant The Elm opens early Summer.

See you at the Pool!

Best,
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

My husband and I stayed here on our wedding night (we got married in Brooklyn) and we loved the modern, whimsical and clean look of this place. They have a really cute restaurant downstairs and a huge pool area out back. It was much too cold to swim but it's all beautifully set up. The staff were friendly and they offer Malin + Goetz toiletries, a wonderful little bonus. They really did 'boutique hotel' right. A bit pricey but it is a nice, cute hotel for a special occasion! Ideal for couples as the standard rooms run quite small.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. Congratulations on your Marriage. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We hope to welcome you back before your next anniversary to enjoy the Pool, Roof Deck and our restaurant The Elm (opening early Summer).

Again, Congratulations on your Wedding, we hope to see you soon.

Best,
Bloomington, IN
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

This is a well located and hip place but so incredibly overpriced that it is almost beyond belief. For half the price I paid it would still have been expensive. The "complimentary breakfast" consisted of some hard boiled eggs and overripe bananas and some granola. Yes, they give you a nice bathrobe and the wifi is free. And yes, the shower is pleasant and they play 8 1/2 on about six screens in the hip lobby. But it is NOT worth the price. Stay at the Hotel Le Jolie for a third of the price instead. A lovely hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank Joni-Herkimer
King and Grove W, Front Office Manager at McCarren Hotel & Pool, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Dear Joni-Herkimer,

I apologize for taking so long to reply to your review. We appreciate all of our guests input but with all the great things happening at King and Grove Williamsburg, this summer has been especially busy.

I have researched your reservation and it seems like you came on a particualry busy weekend and our rates were a bit higher than usual. Although, we do have competitive rates with any comparable hotels in NYC, I assure you during that time our rates were similar to any fine hotels in the area. We have a fantastic restaurant, The Elm, that has been getting rave reviews. Our pool is one of the most popular destinations in Williamsburg and our roof top offer some of the most stunning views in Brooklyn. I do apologize if you were unable to take advantage of these amenities during the off-season

We would love to have you come back. Please feel free to contact me directly and I can assure you will not be disappointed with your stay.

Kind Regards,

Little Rock, Arkansas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

A great hotel with wonderful, friendly staff. It is right across from a big park and also a dog park. It is in a good location, close to restaurants and cute shops. We have stayed here twice and been delighted both times.

Room Tip: Stay on the park side. It is fun to watch the soccer and softball games.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business