“Great place”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Port republic
“Great place”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

The only thing that wasn't perfect about this place was some bass drumming in the middle of the night. We were on the 2nd floor and perhaps someone in the neighborhood was ramping it up a bit! Beautiful place and lovely breakfast!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank suemullen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Peachtree City, Georgia
Reviewed February 21, 2013

King and Grove is located on McCarren Park in the Williamsburg area of Brooklyn. It is within walking distance of the L and G trains and near many good restaurants and bars. The hotel serves a complimentary continental breakfast in the reception area and a small bar is available after 5PM.

Customer service is a priority here and the staff goes out of their way to make sure your stay is comfortable and your needs are met. When I mentioned we needed more washcloths, by the time we got back to the room 15 minutes later SIX extra washcloths had been delivered. Every staff member we met was friendly and helpful but Jessie and Matthew went out of their way to make us feel welcome.

After reading reviews on Trip Advisor we decided for our 3 night stay we wanted a larger room so we booked a deluxe King room that overlooked the pool. It was quite nice and actually larger than most NYC hotel rooms. The bed was very comfortable and the linens were of good quality. I liked the hardwood floors (less dust and dirt than carpet) and the rain shower in the bathroom was very nice. We really hope management will consider adding towel racks in the bathroom. I hated throwing my towel on the floor but there was nowhere to hang it. Although the closet isn't large, there was adequate storage room for our coats and back packs. The closet also had two large lower drawers that we did not use. Each room has a small rocking chair which was fine for me but a bit too small for my hubby to utilize comfortably. There is also a work desk with lots of electrical outlets and a stool to sit on located underneath the flat screen TV.

King and Grove is adding a restaurant and bar in the basement and we will be looking forward to seeing the new addition on our next visit. We most assuredly will stay here again!!

Room Tip: Our room overlooking the pool had no street noise- That's a huge plus in NY!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GAtraveler2011
Stratford
Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed our stay completely, found the hotel accommodating and exactly what we thought we were getting. Small room (expected), balcony (with unexpected view of skyline), comfy bed, great rain shower (with nice toiletries) and lots of plugs and for electronics.

We had an issue figuring out how to lock the balcony door, someone was sent up quickly, and showed us how to work it (pull handle upwards).

Reading the previous reviews it makes me wonder what people expect, this a quality hotel at a reasonable rate.

• Stayed February 2013
5 Thank getawayplans
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Stayed here for a week. It's nice enough but the level of service leaves a quite a bit to be desired particularly at this price point. No hand soap in the bathroom, room was tidied but never cleaned (the same piece of lint was in the corner my entire stay), I had to ask for toiletries to be replenished because they didn't do it automatically. Tonight they seem to have skipped room "cleaning" entirely. No hooks in the rooms and only one in the bathroom. On Saturday evening the staff was using the elevators so much it was faster to walk up the stairs than wait. They should have considered a staff elevator that is out of sight of the main entrance.

Positives: good location, breakfast was adequate to get you out the door in the AM but the last couple of days the bananas have been so over ripe thy are solid black (make some banana bread). Bed was comfy and room temp was easy to control. Front desk staff were generally nice and friendly. It's not bad. Just don't expect awesome or exceptional service.

Room to improve. Lots of it.

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank nyc_traveler2013
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Left several messages and emails regarding having a possible wedding at the hotel & never got a response. She was always off site & not available. For a director events of a hotel that is pretty bad service & if it's any indication of the service they provide I'll pass.

Stayed February 2013
King and Grove W, Manager at McCarren Hotel & Pool, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
We were sad to read your review and to discover that the communication we had was not to your liking. I replied to you over the weekend the day after you sent our office an email. I explained to you that our restaurant and roof were under construction and that a new Chef was starting and currently I do not have information to forward for inquiries for the next few weeks.

I am sorry that we were not able to work together and best wishes for a wonderful wedding.
Bayville, New Jersey
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Pulling up to this hotel, I never expected what was inside!! The lobby grabs you as soon as you set foot in the hotel with its see through floor....that was just the beginning of my pleasant surprise! The staff was so pleasant and professional and gave that extra personal touch. Alex, who works at the front desk was awesome! He helped me out by listening to me and what I was looking for and then giving me personal recommendation that turned out to be right on the money with restaurants and bars. The rooms are tight but that is to be expected in anywhere in NY. The decor is very modern, with clean cut lines, free of clutter so you don't feel like you are in a tight space. Extremely clean with top of the line contemporary bathroom, wood floors (no germ filled carpets to contend with!!), stocked bar and an incredibly comfortable bed! I parked my car when I got there and never moved it again. I was able to walk to everything nearby. I absolutely loved it. Can't say enough about it! Look forward to the warm weather and DEFINITELY returning!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank PrincipessaGG
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed January 4, 2013

a combination of things makes this a great hotel. The very helpful and charming staff, great setting, right in the heart of williamsburg surrounded by many bars, restaurants and cute artsy-hipster style businesses. the hotel is very chic, rooms are ecstatically pleasing, shower awesome, and bed so plush and comfortable, I had a problem sleeping in my own bed when I got back. and finally, the most delicious lemon marscapone pancakes you will ever have. will be back in the summer to enjoy the beautiful pool!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple