“Trying too hard to be hip at the cost of good service”

McCarren Hotel & Pool
Ranked #16 of 72 Hotels in Brooklyn
GreenLeadersSilver level
Jamaica Plain, Massachusetts, United States
“Trying too hard to be hip at the cost of good service”
Reviewed September 27, 2012

We stayed at K & G in early August for a wedding. I called a few days prior to see if it was possible to check-in an hour or two earlier than their standard time (4pm). I thought checking in around 2pm wouldn't be a problem, especially since were calling a few days ahead. However, all I was told on the phone was that "they couldn't promise anything", even after I explained we were attending a wedding that afternoon! Upon our arrival at 2pm, we still had hope, until we were told that we couldn't check in yet. But, they told us they understood we were attending a wedding and they would call us once our room was ready. We went and had a great lunch at one of the fantastic places around the hotel, but no phone call. We came back at quarter to 4 and were told, "You know, our check-in time IS 4pm"...a manager overheard our conversation at the desk and we were promptly checked-in. The hotel IS well-appointed (though we could never figure out how to work the lights in the room)...there seems to be a total 'scene' at the pool (which was a funny back drop outside our room window), but their service, aside from the manager who rode in on her white horse, was substandard with a dash of hipster arrogance. Having been in customer service for over a decade, all I can say is that doing that little bit extra for a customer/guest never goes out of style and will most likely be the one thing they remember.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Richard S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Austin, Minnesota
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I am going to start this out by telling you I am neither hip nor cool. But my son lives in Williamsburg, so I was thrilled that recently several nice hotels have opened up in the neighborhood so that I can have a place to stay while I visit him.

First impressions of this hotel were great. The place is so nice. It was a bit too chilly for the pool for me but I thought that it gave the place a nice ambience. I loved the bikes out front. Had I more time, I absolutely would have used one. The breakfast they lay out was nice too. I do not mind the pastries and what not. Just as long as I can get a decent cup of coffee....which they happily provided. The rooms are small - but so is every room I've ever stayed in New York. Honestly it's a hotel room - give me a clean bed and a decent TV and I am happy....as long as I can sleep.

Which, alas, at this hotel you simply cannot. Let me repeat that: YOU CANNOT SLEEP AT THIS HOTEL UNTIL 1AM in the morning. And even then, you have to pray that none of the rooftop partiers have rooms on your floor. Because then the party continues till god knows what hour. On your floor. It's insane.

Honestly, it was such a shame. Such a beautiful hotel made tacky by all sorts of music emanating from every which direction: the pool, the roof, the lobby, the adjacent rooms.....

I think this would be a fun place to stay if you are in your 20s. But if you care at all about getting any sleep, at all, you should not stay here.

Room Tip: Go as low floor as you can. But there really is no escape.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Franciine F
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Recently stayed in the Penthouse at King & Grove for my wedding. The room itself was beautiful. 2 terraces, free-standing tub, comfortbale bed with amazing pillows, great location in Williamsburg. The main issue was with the attentiveness of the staff and the level of service provided. I paid $1,000/night and there were no garbage pails in the room. When I called the front desk, they said I wasnt looking hard enough. Then they sent one pail up. I had two bathrooms, a wet bar, a living area,a bedroom with one trash pail. When I asked the gentlemen who brought the pail up for more, he brought me large, black garbage bags. Additionally, I bought a bottle of champagne and they only had plastic glasses and no ice bucket to chill the champagne. I had to fill the sink with ice to keep it cold.

Had I been in any other NY hotel paying those prices, the staff would have accommodated the few requests I made. They need to up the level of service. I did not feel like i got "penthouse" treament and I would be hesitatant to recommend the hotel to anyone given the prices. If the level of service can be raised to match the room aesthetics, the property would be a huge success. They also need to open a fully functional kitchen/restaurant, offer room service and get real glassware.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank JFTBBKLYN
Naples, Florida
Reviewed September 12, 2012

My wife and I have stayed at the King & Grove twice in the last year to visit our kids who now live in Brooklyn. We're seasoned travellers who expect four things from a hotel; cleanliness, a good nights sleep, responsive employees and a pleasant ambiance. King & Grove gets it done on all four levels. In all seriousness I do have to call them and ask where they get their pillows as my wife and I both want them for home! We will be regular guests at the King & Grove.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Brian M
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Had a fri-sun stay in Williamsburg. Great location, clean hotel. Bellman was excellent. Hot coffee in the morning was very nice to have. However, at $500 per night, the level of attention to detail you would expect was simply not there.
The same comments about the ridiculous showers and the irons/ironing boards that you have to request from housekeeping apply. I can't believe that no attempt has been made to rectify the water that pours from the shower and soaks the bathroom floor. For that price, a guest should not have to jerryrig some towels to soak up water or ask for access to an iron.
The gym-it's in the basement and in addition to a couple of decent machines, there were some mismatched barbells and partially deflated yoga balls. There were also stacked pool cushions in a corner near the water cooler. The cooler cups were not stocked, I had to get a sleeve from a pallet of boxes that I found underneath the stairs. Again, way below what should be getting at this price.
The doors-They do not shut unless you PULL on the door after it closes. You have no way to know that the door is not fully closed unless you check because it will click like its closed, but it's not. This is so far beyond acceptable that I really couldn't believe it. Guests safety is put directly at risk by this design flaw, not to mention the belongings that anyone could grab at any time.
Finally, at both check in and check out the person assisting me stopped to go help a coworker while in the middle of the transaction without an explanation. Just walked away.
For 250-300, this place would be just fine, with the exception of the doors, which are completely unacceptable at any price. For 500? No way, not even close. That's getting into Standard/W territory, and this property does not approach those levels of service or detail.

Room Tip: The poolside rooms were quiet.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Enzothebaker_12
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 5, 2012

I had my parents coming to town last week and needed a place for them. I choose King & Grove Williamsburg for it's location. I checked my parents in along with my Mom's dog and everything was really great. The staff was nice and the bellman was so cool with my Mom and calmed her down re: the area and the pool. She was a little surprised by seeing all of the hot girls and guys walking around in bathing suits. We ended up spending the afternoon and lunch at the pool. Their room was great, they were happy and that made it easy for me and happy too. I am actually looking forward to them coming back to visit in the fall now that I have a place for them to stay and one that my Mother likes.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Leo A
Geneva
Reviewed September 2, 2012

What a great hotel. I was a little concerned with all of the not so great reviews, but I loved the hotel. My husband and I stayed here for the weekend and it was just lovely. I was a little unhappy that the pool was not open on Saturday. I spoke with the Manager, he was very nice about the situation and explained it, but I was not to happy. He made up for it and got us a table on the roof in the afternoon. We spent all day Sunday at the Pool. It was great fun. The Pool Boy was a riot.
The rooms were very nice. The Manager explained to me that they are redoing the lobby and the restaurant. I will be excited to see it in October when we return. I really had a great time. My room was kind of small but I booked a Superior Queen, next time I will go for a king room. The Bell man was the sweetest and was so helpful in explaining everything to me to get to the metro, and the store and to walk to Green Point. It was great fun

GREAT FUN!!! Really Loved the Hotel

Room Tip: Get a pool view room it is quieter than the street side
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Andre D
King and Grove W, Manager at McCarren Hotel & Pool, responded to this review, September 3, 2012
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our guest room redecoration is complete. We look forward to welcoming you back in the Fall when our restaurant is open.