“Poor Customer Service”

Ranked #45 of 72 Hotels in Brooklyn
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Poor Customer Service”
Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

My cousin booked my hotel online through a third party vender. It did not state how my cousin needed a authorization form.The gentleman who worked night told me the policy. However, the hotel does not have emergency management on site. So, I set up all night in the hotel until a gentleman a stranger give me his room. Than in the morning I talk to the person who that shift I was constantly cut off I had to him to stop talking so I can finish the story. Than he did to the manager about my situation however I should have been the one talking to the manager. So the reservation was held so they can get the form. I called to see was everything okay instead answering my question. I was told if it was not handle the reservation would not be held and am not doing anymore favors. We'll you tell a customer as a favor the proper word is courtesy. But, the whole was not my fault or my cousin who made the reservation. If the policy is not stated in the system then the burden is not on the customer. It is the company duty to to make sure the customer knows that. Also, they can hold your luggage if you ask. When I comeback the gentleman that works at night was very and had attitude because I need to recharge my phone I ask to use outlet because I am working Brooklyn and it would be easier for me to get work the next day if O stayed. But I was checking my resources did discover a way but I did not tell him that. He was asking long is it going to take meanwhile I said 15 minutes but I was gauging anyway he comes and say it has been 15 minutes with attitude I decide at that am not going to finish my reservation I taking my business where am accustom to being helped. I left but he did not know that but they why you should have manners at all times. The hotel does get a nice hot breakfast at the diner that is a little walk. No gym or business center. The rooms are clean the decor is okay. The rooms are small and the design of the bathroom was done wrong most cases to adjust the shower temperature you can do it on the side so you won't get the cold water on you but instead you can't adjust the temperature of the water like. The most important thing is a manager should always be accessible in a hotel and a hotel should always have people who know how to give quality service.

Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank Leana W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Md
Reviewed March 15, 2014

This was the worst nightmare of a hotel you can ever imagine! The linen was so so nasty and worn completely out! The front room door wouldn't open even half way it was so small. I requested clean sheets & they told me we'll bring them in 15 min, but we have no house keeping... And told me I would have to change the nasty, filthy sheets myself. when I ask if she could help the answer was NO! It was myself and son. If one person needed to move to the rest rm or door the other person had to sit in center of the bed. That's just how small/cramped it was. I tried to get a refund she refused. For almost $200. a night , when it should of been against the LAW to even be allowed or consider livable! This is for the homeless & should be free and still cleaned. the answer for this place is NEVER EVER AGAIN!!! Sleep in your vehicle or train station, you'd be better and safer!!! ;-(

• Stayed March 2014
6 Thank July897

Travelers are raving about these Brooklyn hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 12, 2014

Quite hotel with attentive and kind staff, willing to meet your every need. Good location with subway line close by that takes you directly to all city attractions in no time. Good on street free parking facilities Very good luggage storage facilities, if you have a late departure.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Jenneloo
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed February 11, 2014

Pros:
2 blocks from the Union Street/4th Avenue station on the DNR lines.
Includes daily breakfast at the Union Station Cafe(I believe that was the name) which is on the same corner as one of the station entrances. You get 3-4 choices for breakfast and you get coffee and juice.
Free wifi albeit spotty at times especially with iPhone and iPad.

Cons:
The smoke smell was very strong throughout the first floor.
Thin walls so you can hear people and the elevator throughout the night.
Our room 110 was ridiculously small with a large bathroom. I feel like they should have made the bathroom a bit smaller and made the room a bit larger.
Heat/ac doesn't have a temperature control so you need to manually adjust it throughout the night.

I too have mixed feelings about the Union Hotel because it served its purpose for our 4 day trip to NYC in December. I couldn't find anything reasonable in Manhattan during that week in December so I ended up doing a Priceline bid in Brooklyn. The Union Hotel had some pros but I would not stay here again and I would not recommend this hotel to any of my friends. It feels like a nicer hostel masquerading as a boutique hotel that is run by the Russian mafia.

If you are going to stay here, I would say that it is best for Solo travelers trying to stay on budget with low expectations.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank sioux5ita
Fairbanks, Alaska
Reviewed January 16, 2014

If you are looking for budget lodging in the NYC area, this isn't a bad option. We booked this hotel using an online booking engine and ended up in one of the smallest rooms. It was so small that it makes a great story, but it was very uncomfortable for two people. It was also very noisy. If I were to return, I would pay the extra money to upgrade to one of the larger rooms. On the bright side, the room was clean and had fun decorations. Breakfast (included) was great.
The location is excellent - easy walk to bars, restaurants and shopping. The subway is also nearby. The front desk staff was not very friendly, which detracted from our experience. They could have made our stay much more enjoyable.

Room Tip: The small rooms are REALLY small. Try for one of the larger rooms.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank akchick3
New York City, New York
Reviewed December 30, 2013

it was my worst hotel/inn experience.
I booked a queen suite, but it was 2 single beds pushed together. Oviously very uncomfortable.
Don't tell it's a queen if you are putting beds together!! It's a false advertisement!
It was the smallest room ever I stayed, and it didn't even have a coffee maker. The heater makes motor sounds every 15 minutes all day and all night....and still room was cold. The closet stinked, too.
The women who has freckle on her face at the front desk was very rude and annoying. She ruined my feeling at the first step of the hotel..
Only good thing was free breakfast served by near restaurant. ( You have to walk about 2 blocks, but it worth it)

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Daram L
Houston, TX
Reviewed December 13, 2013

I have mixed emotions about the hotel.

Booked a king, got 2 twin mattresses pushed together. Bed not very comfortable but adequate. Spartan rooms: bed, nightstand, tiny desk, one overhead light. Difficult to read in bed or work in room. No tub, but shower is very clean. I had a ground floor room & had a lot of noise from outside and inside the hotel. The fan doesn't run constantly; if it did it could mask the noise. Flat screen TV on the wall gets a handful of standard def cable networks, but frustratingly no local channels. Breakfast is included at a diner a couple of blocks away. Good restaurants and access to the subway within walking distance. No radio in room; there's an iPod dock that doesn't fit the current series iPod/iPhone. The message light blinked on my phone constantly but no desk clerk knew how to clear it nor did they seem to care. Bottom line: a good hotel; a better hotel than the price would indicate, but if they tried harder it could be a great hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business