“Small & Compact but Clean and Good Location”
Review of Union Hotel

Union Hotel
Ranked #46 of 74 Hotels in Brooklyn
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Our hotel room was very small(i knew before booking) but it was cool for what we needed. Everything was clean. The free breakfast at the the restaurant which is about a block away is good as well.

The location was great we were about 15 mins away on foot from the Barclay Center and from the shopping area. We were also right by the subway.

Overall it was pretty cool for the low price we paid.

Subway from time square took 15-20 mins wasnt bad at all

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 7, 2013

This is a Brooklyn hotel located near the R subway line on 4th Ave as well as amid many of the dynamic restaurants, shops, and food stores that make this section of New York City so popular among the millenial crowd. But for older travelers or those with a lot of baggage, this may not be the ideal place. This really is a spartan facility as far as room size is concerned. A king bed takes up 90% of the room living space making it difficult even to stand up without having to go into the bath area for additional space. The land line phone was stored in the closet and there was a folding chair for the room which, when opened, took up the entire aisle aside the bed. Lighting was poor and there were few room or bath amenities (though the bath sink area and shower was of ample size). The TV was cable and I couldn't seem to find any local stations for the news or weather report. Maybe that's the way it was pre-set. I can't say. But it was an inconvenience, nevertheless. There is no lobby to speak of, just a reception kiosk in the entry way. An attendant is available 24/7. The staff uses a downstairs break room which I guess you can use for the refrigeration or heating of food items you might have brought in with you. They do get several copies of the NY Times, though, and the free breakfast is served daily at a restaurant next to the subway. The menu choices are fine and note that a gratuity will be expected. This was fine as long as the weather was decent for the 2 block walk (it was for me but if it's snowing or raining heavily you might decide to forfeit the walk and, hence, the free meal). I think young travelers will actually like the simplicity of this lodging but those used to more lavish surroundings might be in for a mild shock. The neighborhood is great, though. Barclays Center and the BAM are walkable as are the storefronts along popular 5th and 7th avenues. Junior's restaurant, a legacy from President Truman's days, still thrives across from LIU on Nevins and Flatbush, a 2-minute subway trip away. Just think like a minimalist and you might be O.K. If you can't, try bigger digs.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with the most space available.
Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Zoom_Gotti
Reviewed October 24, 2013

I reserved a room here a couple months in advance and even called the week prior to confirm my reservation. However, when I arrived only about an hour after check in I was told that "someone was smoking in two of the rooms and a pipe burst" so they did not have a room for me. The guy at the desk called the Sleep Inn about 22 blocks away and reserved a room for me there. However he said I would have to pay for it out of pocket and then they would reimburse me. Why they didn't call me earlier in the day to tell me about their "plumbing problems" is beyond me and more than unprofessional. He said they were hoping they would have some cancellations... Their reason for not having a room for me sounded really suspicious so after some researching I have found several complaints from other people being told about plumbing problems. Sounds to me like they frequently overbook and then lie to anyone who shows up once all the rooms are full.

Room Tip: Do not "reserve" a room here
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Joseph S
unionhotelbrooklyn, Manager at Union Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2013

Hello,

This customer declined alternative accommodations of equal or better quality near our property. It was an unfortunate occurrence of a room that was damaged the night before and the customer was notified ahead of time.

Best

Reviewed October 15, 2013

I’d STRONGLY recommend the Union Hotel. We stayed 3 nights, over a weekend. My husband, college freshman daughter and I were in Brooklyn to visit family friends and enjoy NYC for our 5th trip in several years. We wanted to stay near our friends in Park Slope, but not have all of us stay with them, as one of them has health issues and we wanted to give them some space. For us, a trip to NYC is an exercise in urban hiking: most of our time is spent sightseeing and walking around/taking subway. The price was much better than other places. The room was small, very clean, but big enough to sleep and shower, etc., which was all we wanted to pay for. We had a king-sized bed, and from what I discerned online, those are the larger rooms. 2 of us stayed in the room, with our daughter meeting up with us for the day. It was cozy, but we were fine, even when 3 of us hung out for an hour playing cards. The lobby is very small, just an entryway with a podium, but it functioned fine. There were complaints online about “the language barrier”. Most of the people we met had eastern European accents, but we understood each other, and were very gracious. They helped us call a car service to get to our friend's home on Friday night, and they were so concerned about making sure we were happy, that they confirmed that the service was the one we called, confirmed the fare as they were calling us in the room (we heard this because we wandered down a few minutes early). We felt like celebrities! The neighborhood isn’t yuppie deluxe, but we wandered around, and it’s fine, interesting, authentic. In the warehouses along DeGraw Street, we saw: a medical center, a temporary employment agency, an athletic weightlifting center, a construction equipment place, a rock wall climbing place. 2 gas stations are nearby. Traffic noise was moderate, and much less at night. The breakfast was very good diner food, and the people who worked there went out of their way to make us feel comfortable, make suggestions about what to do, how to get around, etc. My plan had been for us to have a large-ish breakfast, in case time, cost, whatever, got in the way of a big lunch, and we could walk it off. So it worked out fine. The TV was hung on the wall, so we had to sit on the bed and look up a bit. The channel selection was very small, but adequate (we could find the weather) as we didn't come to watch TV. As for complaints about noise: the room’s air conditioner/heater is what is typically found in mid-value hotel rooms. It made noise, but those always do; and it worked fine. As for noise from other guests, it was the same as at any other hotel. Early Sunday morning, around 2 am, I heard a group of 3-4 people in the hall, seemed to be returning to their rooms from an evening of partying. Although they were moving along, after about a minute I heard a hotel staff member come up and remind them to be quiet because other people were trying to sleep. We have never had this high level of service before, even from much higher-rated hotels.

Room Tip: King-sized rooms may be larger, if space is an issue.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Mary D
Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

As far as how happy I was with the service, cleanliness, price and convenience it is exactly as advertised. Includes breakfast at great diner. It's basic but clean. Wouldn't stay there with a friend but great with b/f. And the area is not dodgy as reviewed by others. But I live in a big city and am used to mixed neighbourhoods. Close to multiple subway lines. The water does take a very long time to heat. If stay again on my next trip!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 9, 2013

My wife and I were very pleased by the Union Hotel. Yes, the rooms are *very* small -- barely bigger than the bed. You'll have to put your suitcase inside the wardrobe, as there's no floor space to speak of. The place has clearly been put together on the cheap, with sloppy paint and low-end furniture. There's no lobby. But everything was clean and the private bathroom was actually a fairly normal size. The free breakfast at the Station Cafe, right above the Union St. subway station, is a great perk -- it's a real old-fashioned NY Greek diner and you get your choice of real, made-from-scratch breakfast dishes, including French toast, pancakes, eggs, granola with fruit and Greek yogurt, etc. Although it's just around the corner from 4th Ave., our room was actually very quiet and relaxing (we were facing the back, though -- you might ask to avoid the street side). The neighborhood is gentrifying fast -- totally safe, full of yuppies at all hours. Two-minute walk to the R train at Union St., or about 8 minutes to a whole bunch of different subway lines at Atlantic/Pacific. Quick walk to restaurants and shopping both in Park Slope and in Carroll Gardens/Cobble Hill. Honestly, I did not expect to find anything this decent for less than $150 in NYC.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank brianinc-ville
Reviewed October 4, 2013

The rooms are tiny, and people over 120 kg might not be able to enter the room, but for spending a couple of days in NY, where you hopefully spend most of your time outside anyways, its absolutely enough. Everything is brand new, modern and clean. The bathroom is nearly as big as the rest of the room with an incredible big shower and there is one huge window, which makes the room appear less small.
The best thing is the breakfast. You have to walk around the corner to this nice, cosy coffeplace right next to the metro. Extremely nice staff and you can order whatever you want!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends