“Very basic -- but a very good deal.”
Review of Union Hotel

Union Hotel
Ranked #47 of 72 Hotels in Brooklyn
Reviewed October 9, 2013

My wife and I were very pleased by the Union Hotel. Yes, the rooms are *very* small -- barely bigger than the bed. You'll have to put your suitcase inside the wardrobe, as there's no floor space to speak of. The place has clearly been put together on the cheap, with sloppy paint and low-end furniture. There's no lobby. But everything was clean and the private bathroom was actually a fairly normal size. The free breakfast at the Station Cafe, right above the Union St. subway station, is a great perk -- it's a real old-fashioned NY Greek diner and you get your choice of real, made-from-scratch breakfast dishes, including French toast, pancakes, eggs, granola with fruit and Greek yogurt, etc. Although it's just around the corner from 4th Ave., our room was actually very quiet and relaxing (we were facing the back, though -- you might ask to avoid the street side). The neighborhood is gentrifying fast -- totally safe, full of yuppies at all hours. Two-minute walk to the R train at Union St., or about 8 minutes to a whole bunch of different subway lines at Atlantic/Pacific. Quick walk to restaurants and shopping both in Park Slope and in Carroll Gardens/Cobble Hill. Honestly, I did not expect to find anything this decent for less than $150 in NYC.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank brianinc-ville

Reviewed October 4, 2013

The rooms are tiny, and people over 120 kg might not be able to enter the room, but for spending a couple of days in NY, where you hopefully spend most of your time outside anyways, its absolutely enough. Everything is brand new, modern and clean. The bathroom is nearly as big as the rest of the room with an incredible big shower and there is one huge window, which makes the room appear less small.
The best thing is the breakfast. You have to walk around the corner to this nice, cosy coffeplace right next to the metro. Extremely nice staff and you can order whatever you want!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 1, 2013

This hotel was the lowlight of our long-awaited holiday to the United States. We turned up at the "reception" early, about 10am, knowing that we probably wouldn't be able to check in. The man at recepion said to just leave our bags in the storeroom and come back later anytime that day. By the way, the "reception area" is a laptop on a stand, and the area is so small that only one person can stand in there, everyone else has to wait outside on the street with their bags.

So we enjoyed a full day out in Manhattan, came back around 11pm. I left my wife at reception while I went next door to get a bottle of water, when I returned a few minutes later she was sitting down clearly very upset, saying that the hotel had given our room away to someone else! The young girl at reception was probably the least helpful, most uncaring "service" staff I've met in my life. She didn't give any explanation as to why we didn't have a room, nor did at any time did she even have the basic decency to say "sorry".

So it was up to me to phone Priceline (the booking agency) at nealry midnight, who at least had the courtesy to apologise on behalf of the hotel. So, what happened next? Priceline refunded us the night's stay, Union Hotel arranged for us to stay at a local Sleep Inn - which WE had to pay for - and told us to come back the next day with the receipt and they would reimburse us the price difference.

So of course, this is 2 weeks later, and we haven't had the price difference refunded to us. If the manager would ever like to get back to us and refund us as promised, and maybe even apologise for the abysmal indifference of his reception staff, you know our contact details from when we were booted out Sept 18th.

Anyway, getting down to what this "hotel" is actually like - it's not a hotel, more like a hostel or halfway house that's been tarted up. Ignore the flashy photos on websites advertising this place, it's been poorly done over with a bad coat of paint, peeling wallpaper and hipster lighting. There is about 40cm of space between the bed and walls, no room to place any suitcases or bags. No sound insulation to speak of. The location is down an industrial alleyway with trucks constantly patrolling outside.

The worst thing was that we were "forced" into the sleep inn down the road (on 25th) which was amazing by comparison - probably one of the biggest hotel rooms I've ever been in, with a lounge suite, study desk, and a king bed that was more like a 1.5 king bed (it had 6 pillows across the head of it!) which was a palace by comparison to this "hotel". Stay there!

So to complete this review - we had printed confirmation of our 2 night reservation here, paid for in full. We turned up in the morning and was told to leave our bags for a later checkin. When we did turn up, our promised room had been given away, with no apologies offered. And we're still waiting to be reimbursed on the (much better) Sleep Inn hotel that we stayed that first night at. Well Done Union Hotel for ruining whatever reputation "Ascend Collection" might be trying to make.

Room Tip: To choose a good room,. book at any other hotel but this one!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank T W
unionhotelbrooklyn, Manager at Union Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2013

Unfortunately, this guest was walked to another
Property and didn't get to experience our hotel
Per our many positive reviews. The guest was indeed refunded for the taxi
As well as additional expenses when they were moved due to
A plumbing problem in one of our rooms.
Unfortunately guests are often unreasonable and have
An ax to grind as in this instance. We stand by
Our services and offer an affordable boutique
Option in this overpriced NYC market.

Reviewed September 24, 2013 via mobile

Rooms are small,wayto small..location is in s downtown shanty town but seemed safe....
Staff were pleasant..heavy doors tho and noisy..
Watch out for the hidden charges...i paid over a $100 in taxes which i wasnt told about!!
Overall ok tho

• Stayed: September 2013
unionhotelbrooklyn, Manager at Union Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2013

Hi. Thanks for the positive words. The hidden charges that you are referring to are NYC and State occupancy taxes that all NYC hotels charge and are fully disclose in all of our listings per 3rd party booking site policies.

We hope to see you back soon and don't hesitate to be in touch with any tax related questions.

Best

Reviewed September 22, 2013

I arrived at this hotel, first of all the person at reception was very unpleasant with very poor english. He informed me I didn't have a reservation although I had the confirmation. 30 minutes later he found the confirmation and pointed us to our room. Rooms very very small, walls like paper, extremely noisy, people walking about all night. I would not recommend anyone to stay here, due to the rude staff and noise.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Lisa H

We are disturbed to hear your response. Indeed if booking our Cozy Queen options, those room types are small and remind most of a European budget boutique. However, we are clear with those descriptions and you get a price that is half of what comparable hotels are charging. We think its the best value in the city.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

The Union Hotel offers extreme perks, but has challenges. Perks: 1) the hotel desk clerks were minimalist, but attentive and try to answer all questions. (Mike on Night Duty is the man!). 2) budget prices for a clean, simple, albeit extremely small room. you get the bed, the private bath and a place to hang your clothing. 3) the free breakfast at the Union Cafe was awesome and made my mornings cheery, the staff and the meal was good old fashion NYC Cafe awesome, 4) one blk from the subway line, which was extremely convenient. I was able to travel to NYU with school supplies easily. Challenges?? Its a small room, but reminded me of hotels in Europe where I would have thought it "chic" so I was fine. The street and neighborhood is transient, (some would describe as sketchy), but this area of Brooklyn has some great finds so if you like to travel you will do well. after a nervous first night (think tons of silent warehouses and grafitti), the rest of my stay and attitude was "I am truly doing NYC". I saved hotel costs and breakfast costs, and spent the money on getting my kids what they needed for their dorm rooms. Great deal!

Room Tip: this is a functional hotel to sleep, shower and change. if you are spending time in the city having...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Patricia W
Reviewed September 3, 2013

The only thing, don’t expect to ask questions to the front desk, English not very good. That is all shifts. TV’s did not work because of the dish receiver offline. No one could solve the problem, or should I say understand what I was asking.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family