“Budget friendly and great location”
Review of Union Hotel

Union Hotel
Ranked #47 of 72 Hotels in Brooklyn
Reviewed August 10, 2012

If you're a high-needs traveller, then the Union Hotel is not for you. However, if you're after a clean and moderately priced hotel which provides comfortable beds to crash after a full day of exploration - this is the hotel for you. The hotel is in an excellent location to access the subway, shops, cafes and restaurants. The rooms are small but comfortable. The room we stayed in for the two nights, had a large bathroom and the room was air conditioned. The staff were extremely pleasant and most accommodating in answering our enquiries. The free breakfast is provided at the Station Cafe, and offers a hearty breakfast as well. Getting around is a breeze with the subway Route R just outside the cafe. We had no problem using the subway as our preferred mode of travel. I would not hesitate to recommend the Union Hotel. As we were travelling with suitcases, we found it more convenient to arrive at the hotel from the airport by taxi. The taxi fare from JFK to Brooklyn: US$50; from Brooklyn to Newark: US$60.

Room Tip: The room we stayed in faced Degraw Street...yes, the hotel is located in a light industrial area - g...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank WhollyCats

Reviewed August 9, 2012

Comfortable position. Clean room. Not expensive. Perfect for a young couple and for a short vacation. It's nice if you want to visit Brooklyn. Breakfast is a typical one in a bar close to the hotel. Service is in the average.
Everything in the room is new and clean. The design of hotel are modern and nice!

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank Marinamarchionno
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights as my daughter her husband live in Park Slope...I knew I would only likely be there to sleep at nite, so I hated to pay other hotels upwards of $250/nite for 2 nites just to sack out and change clothes.
The Union Hotel does, yes, definitely have very tiny rooms---my room had a very large queen-size---maybe even king size---4 fluffy pillows, comforter---
True, not much room, even to put suitcase. I actually put mine on the large bathroom floor, and it was fine there.
I agree it would be nice to have a bedside light (hotel SHOULD invest----how much can they cost in a discount store??)---just overhead lights can be uninviting and un-cozy.
The rooms and bathroom were very clean, very neat, temperature fine---all I needed. I did ask for a room away from elevator, down hall to be quieter and heard no noise at all.
The FREE breakfast down the street was amazing! Typical full diner breakfast---choice of eggs with bacon, sausage, ham, potatoes or grits, toast, coffee, juice, or pancakes or french toast, or fruit with yogurt.
I was there alone, so it was very relaxing and pleasant---with a companion with me, it may have been a really tight squeeze, but for what I paid for the room, anyone coming with me could have even had their own room and still come out way cheaper than almost anywhere in NY.
I also agree with one previous comment----with such small rooms and narrow halls, whatever were the designers thinking to color every wall the darkest of depressing grey colors, making everything appear even smaller?? Makes it look like the Lubyanka Prison in Moscow...
but I would definitely stay here again----those biggest complainers just don't "get" NY and the tight corners everywhere, particularly in hotels---unless they want to pay a small fortune and don't mind....the hotel had many Europeans staying there---they seem to better understand the concept and appreciate the value and clean basics.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank mtd312
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Opened up the bed, dirty sheets (black dirt stains). Asked for a sheet change at 6 PM, three hours later I was handed a stack of clean sheets to put on the bed myself. This hotel has disappointingly bad service, if you have any other options do not stay here.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
6  Thank RoamingGnome_111
unionhotelbrooklyn, Manager at Union Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2012

Hello,

I'd like to address your concerns and apologize for your experience. We strive to provide the best possible experience and meet our guests expectations based on our hotel description. The reviewer's comments should take that into account. All of our linens is brand new and is washed daily. Due to our pricing and limited service boutique capabilities, a housekeeping is not on staff after 4:30. Thus any unusual linen requests are granted but beds cannot be prepared until the following day by our staff.

BEst

Reviewed July 24, 2012

Booked a room with two separate beds for family, but there was no way two people could stay there. The room was tiny, even with one person staying. They were the smallest beds ever, and the only space to walk around in the room was an isle between the beds and the space behind the door to the room. Otherwise, there was a metal armoire in the room and a small tv too high on the wall, and no iron. Go stay at the Fairfield, it's only ten dollars more per night and a world away. This hotel doesn't even have a lobby, it's has a door that opens straight to a desk. The photos on the website aren't their hotel. They charged my credit card in advance without my approval, and to top it off, they illegally charged me another $700 a week later. Oh, and there is no manager there ever. Literally, there is a check in clerk at the hotel, and they have a phone number to call where they leave messages to a manager that doesn't respond.

• Stayed: July 2012
6  Thank Xxmamakinxx
Reviewed July 11, 2012

Legally, I am entitled to a one-night refund through Travelocity for cancelling a reservation at the Union Hotel. Regardless, Union Hotel has refused to refund my money. After reading other reviews on them, this seems to be a common practice. My experience and others is Union Hotel is about money, as there are no available computer printers, no mirrors in the bedroom, the lobby is only large enough for three people... After 2 months, Travelocity is still trying to get my money from Union Hotel.
FOR PEACE OF MIND IN CASE AN ISSUE ARISES, PLEASE CHOOSE A DIFFERENT HOTEL!!!
With these reoccurring problems, I do not think third-party bookers (Travelociy, Priceline...) should continue to use hotels with these records. What do you think? Please post on Tripadvisor.com

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
9  Thank Linda M
Management response:Responded July 13, 2012

Hello,

From what we understand, this booking was made through Travelocity for a special non-refundable rate. This is outlined clearly in Travelocity's booking description. We therefore cannot legally override Travelocity's policy for non-refundable special rates.

Reviewed July 6, 2012

We were warned this place is tiny. Yes, it is. We just wanted a comfortable and safe place to sleep near our children's apartment. It was perfect for us. The bathroom is great! I didn't expect that! The breakfast up the block was very good and convenient. I've visited Park Slope a lot, so I already knew it was a safe area and just 2 stops on the metro to Manhattan.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the back of the building.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple