“Tiny room nestled in Brooklyn's not so Park Slope Area”
Review of Union Hotel

Union Hotel
Ranked #45 of 71 Hotels in Brooklyn
Flemington, New Jersey
“Tiny room nestled in Brooklyn's not so Park Slope Area”
Reviewed May 31, 2012

Tiny room nestled in Brooklyn's not so Park Slope Area. You would still have to walk a few Avenues to reach the Slope but the place is really small. I can barely walk around the space because the bed and wardrobe cabinet overtook the entire room. The front desk was friendly but messed up my reservation so I had to call Choice and try to get it fixed. Still not fixed as promised and I will go through my CC company instead. We used to live in Brooklyn and the area so we're familiar with the area so we know this place is convenient enough if you are going to be in Brooklyn most of your stay. Trekking to Manhattan would be a different story.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Karson Y
unionhotelbrooklyn, Manager at Union Hotel, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Hello,

For Brooklyners, you seem to be very confused with the geography. 4th Avenue is the border of Park Slope which is 1/2 block from our property. 5th Avenue and 7th avenue which are a 5 minutes walk away are bustling with shops, restaurants, cafes, and bars. Union Square is 15 minutes and 3 stops away on the N train. Downtown is 10 minutes away. The room size for the Cozy Queen room is clearly outlined in our description and is priced accordingly. There is no reason to bash.

Best

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
East Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed May 18, 2012

I echo the review below headlined "Don't trust them." I booked a room through Priceline/booking.com for one night to go to a nearby festival. I called the hotel the day before to confirm - they claimed that I had called to cancel the reservation, which I did not do. They refunded my credit card, but I was left without a hotel room for the weekend. If you are booking through a third party, DO NOT book Union Hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
10 Thank pbandj831

Travelers are raving about these Brooklyn hotels

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed May 17, 2012

Had reservation at Union Hotel through booking.com, have records. On arrival they claimed plumbing problem and turned me away while 2 other customers were given rooms while I was right there! Was credited, told I could have another room at another hotel farther away but would have to pay for taxi and new hotel and get re-imbursed from Union Hotel the next day. How could I then trust them to honor this arrangement? It was a very busy day for hotels in New York, almost all were booked, any available were much more expensive. I seriously doubted the plumbing excuse. Worst treatment I've ever received from any hotel here or abroad! It ended up costing me lots in wasted time and extra expenses and missed some very rare opportunities.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
11 Thank wrb99
paris
Reviewed May 11, 2012

I have stayed in Brooklyn last month of April for a couple of days. Since I have been several times to NY and have always stayed in Manhattan, thought that staying in Brooklyn could be cool and not so far from Manhattan...The price and the offer I found related to this Hotel were very convenient and these made it an interesting choice, but it was not as close as I thought from the cool areas in Manhattan.

To get to the Hotel from the JFK airport it is very convenient, I was there in public transportation in 45 minutes or so.

About Brooklyn, I liked visiting the city and the close areas around. You have to walk a very little bit to get to nice areas of Brooklyn from the Hotel though, not that the area where the hotel is bad, but it has any charm in particular. (The girl at the counter suggested me to visit the Botanical garden which is supposed to be nice, I have not visited it.)

The rooms are very small though, I was on my own and it was fairly OK. I think that if two people stay at this room, in this room which is meant to be for two, it will really be quite small.

The breakfast is cool, since it is given in a local Coffee place just nest to the metro station.

The staff was friendly, and the whole experience was OK. But next time I would really prefer to stay in Manhattan.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank sergiocanedo
Bristol, Tennessee
Reviewed April 25, 2012

I have always said that if a place is clean, I could stay there. Union Hotel might change my mind, the bathroom was clean, the front desk ok, but never have I been to a hotel where the coils in the mattress were coming through! I finally took the duvet and slept on top of it. Management moved me the next day. The rooms are very very small and the towels and bed covers have bleach marks. The rating should be 1 or 2 stars and the cost should be about $75, instead of $140. Three days later I moved to La Quinta, same price, but felt like a 5 star after the Union Hotel.

Room Tip: Inspect room and mattress!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Judylaus
Durham, NC
Reviewed April 18, 2012

Filthy, freezing TINY room with two twin beds and nothing else for $149 a night...REALLY?! Bathroom was slimy, carpets were not vacuumed, walls had smudges like someone had been walking on them. Management refused to refund second night even though WE refused to stay after finding someone else's hair between the comforter & top sheet, and slept in our clothes. Front desk (podium in entryway) was blatantly rude, and refused to cancel our second night or refund. Luckily credit card company disputed and we didn't have to pay.
WAY nicer hotels in walking distance in same price range!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
8 Thank SimoneLeigh
Reviewed April 12, 2012

Super friendly and helpful staff! Great rooms and location! A gem!

• Stayed February 2012