“Better than ever”
Review of Pointe Plaza Hotel

Pointe Plaza Hotel
Ranked #26 of 73 Hotels in Brooklyn
Reviewed May 27, 2013

My wife and I had cause to revisit Pointe Plaza last week and found a change of management and if anything an improvement on our earlier visit
New Manager Imam made us very welcome and made a point of the fact that we were returning clients
The services and facilities never fail to impress and the 'breakfast included' and the daily courtesy car into Manhattan is something nobody else does to my knowledge--Keep up the good work and many thanks again--here's to the next time

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Eric S
Imam K, Manager at Pointe Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2013

I could not be happier that you came back and noticed that we improved.
Your satisfaction means the world to us.

Thank you very much for your generous comments, We are looking forward to your next visit.
Be sure to tell your friends and family that we treat extra special our returning guests.
New addition, the fitness center will be open by end of this month.

Until next time, be well.

Reviewed May 20, 2013

My sister and I stayed at the Pointe Plaza recently for four nights. Many pros and just a couple of cons!

First the pros:
* Location. The hotel is in a Hasidic Jewish neighborhood, so it's fairly quiet and it felt safe walking back from the subway at night. The neighborhood residents in their interesting garb made it feel like I was visiting another country.
* Excellent customer service. Every request or question we presented to the front desk was quickly and cheerfully handled - suggestions on where to eat, request for car service to the airport, etc., etc., etc.
* They surprised us with a complimentary upgrade to a suite! Very spacious rooms with a skylight and a full kitchen.
* Excellent value. Much cheaper to stay in Brooklyn - especially when pre-paid through Orbitz (with a 15% off coupon!)
* Free shuttle to Times Square 6 days a week.
* The most amazing deep soaking bathtub I have ever seen in a hotel! That tub got a workout at the end of each day!

Cons:
* Location. Yes, it's cheaper than being in Manhattan, and quite safe, but it is quite a trek (4 long blocks) to the nearest subway station. So be prepared to walk! There are also no good restaurants nearby. When we asked for a recommendation at the front desk, they sent us many blocks away. (Great food, but a very long walk.)
* Bed linens. The beds are covered only with a duvet. So there's no easy way to adjust your sleeping temperature -- when the duvet was on, I found I would get too hot. The only other option was to sleep with no covers at all. It would have been nice to have a sheet and blanket instead.

In the end, all I can say is the the Pointe Plaza is a great bargain in Brooklyn -- especially for those who are not afraid to walk.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank JudyTex
Imam K, Manager at Pointe Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 25, 2013

We appreciate you taking time and letting us know how your stay was.

thank you so much for the nice comments and pointing out the cons.
This is a great tool for us to improve.
We realize the distance between the hotel and restaurants, that's why we have arranged room service for our valuable guests. Here on, you are able to order (from 7 different types of restaurant and Menus} room service and dine in your comfortable room.

It's your comments what keeps us going.
Hope to see you again and very soon.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

this place is fairly close to the action but also slightly nestled away in a very safe and pretty quiet hasidic neighbourhood. My room had a skylight, the ceiling were higher than I have ever seen in a hotel, beds were absurdly comfortable and the linens soft. The manager Imam was so amazing and helpful and every single staff member I met was super accommodating. I can't believe how great the service was. travel for work and see a lot of bad hotels with bad service - these guys do it all right. Highly highly recommended.

Room Tip: Ask for dishes if you want to cook - there are none in kitchen
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
6  Thank Buffy C

What an amazing reward for our hard work!
We loved your generous comments.

Thank you very much. Can't wait till you come back.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

I chose the Pointe Plaza because the overall reviews seemed positive. Unfortunately I did not have the same luck. The first night I was put in a small room with no TV. My travel plans had changed and I spoke to the manager and he agreed to refund one of the nights of the 3 nights I had purchased. He agreed that if he was able to sell both nights he would give me back a refund for both nights. later on that day when I called the hotel, they had not sold the hotel room. I figured if I had to pay for it anyway, I stayed the 2nd night. When I was leaving the hotel clerk assured me they would give me a refund for the 3rd night. I thought that was a fair thing to do. Unfortunately upon my return home, I found that they charged me for all 3 nights. When I called the manager, he was evasive and ultimately lied to me and was very rude. I am very disappointed in the outcome. The rooms are nothing special and given the poor service, I would recommend that you stay away.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank chewie057
Imam K, Manager at Pointe Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2013

Thank you for your comment and sorry that you feel negatively about how it turned out.

May be I can explain you better this way.
The room you booked was an economy room at a low price. That's the reason why you have no TV in the room. I am surprised that you were surprised that there was not a TV in the room. It was clearly mentioned.
On the other point, you had additional 10% discount for booking a non refundable reservation. I think we all know the meaning of non refundable (it means can not be refunded).
You changed your plan. I did not have to refund you anything. But out of kindness and make an exception and I told you, if you are checking out now (after staying 1 night), of the 2 next nights, I will refund you one of the nights.
Then you changed your plan again, You came back that night to stay one more night, At that point, you know, all deals are off. I would refund you one night if you were to loose 2 nights,

Hope you understand where I am coming from.
On the phone you threatened me, if I don't refund you the night you did not stay, you will give me a bad review. Thank you for living up to your promise
Please know, I can not compromise upon threat of a bad review. It would be unethical.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

My partner and I spent a night in Pointe Plaza before a business trip, and found the facilities to be very adequate. We had a problem with the curtains not closing properly, and were promptly moved to a new room with minimal fuss and apologies from the management. It was an entirely satisfactory experience, and considering the price, exceptional value for money. A minor disappointment was that the breakfast provided was really more of a snack bar, and we instead opted to grab something from a restaurant as the selection was quite minimal.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kousies

We appreciate your kind words and thank you for taking some time to let us know.
Also thank you for recognizing the value.

Your breakfast suggestion is well taken, We will work on that.

Reviewed May 5, 2013

I stayed here 4 nights in April 2013 while a family member was hospitalized in Woodhull. I was very pleased with my stay. The hotel was immaculate and the rooms incredibly spacious (think Embassy Suites), though sparcely decorated, with unequipped kitchens. The free continental breakfast was very nice, with great New York bagels and pastries (rugulach, black and whites). There is free coffee in the lobby 24 hours. Most important, the staff is the nicest and most accommodating of any New York area hotel I've stayed at. When I checked in, they even offered to show me two rooms so I could pick the one I preferred!

The hotel is in the heart of a large Hasidic Jewish community--fascinating, but local shops cater only to them--there is no nearby newsstand, for example. I felt perfectly safe walking around, including to Woodhull and the Pratt Institute area. The only downside is there are no nearby restaurants or subway stops (and taxis don't wander Brooklyn), so be prepared to walk. There is a kosher supermarket a block away, and the area around Woodhull has many fast food places. It would be nice, though, if the hotel offered some simple meal (say soup and sandwich) for guests too tired to go out for dinner.

Room Tip: Ask for a fifth floor room--they have skylights which make them brighter and more cheerful.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Lin0515

Thank you very much for taking some time and letting us know how your stay was. We appreciate your thoughts. Which helps us improve.

Your comments about breakfast is generous. We try.
We take pride in great service. It means the world.
Your recognition is our inspiration.

Hoping your next visit will have nothing to do with Hospital and you can enjoy New York and Williamsburg a lot more. See you soon.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

Now we all know how pricey some NYC hotels can be. If you can find a decent deal which I would say is around 150/night then by all means go for it.

The hotel is in your typical Brooklyn neighborhood. It can look rather congested but shouldn't bother you if you're a seasoned travel veteran.

The front desk is very friendly and helpful and very accommodating. No complaints about that.

Hotel has a couple vending machines and coffee maker downstairs if needed but there is also a large market a block down the street.

The room itself has very high ceilings, was clean and the pillows were comfortable. Thing is the bed was a full bed made up from two single beds put together but that didn't really bother us. TV has cable (channels aren't desireable but its not like you're gonna be watching TV all day or night). Bathroom was decent and all in all the room was clean.

The continental breakfast was on the top floor in a small room. It was VERY GOOD as all the breakfast basics were provided.

PARKING is available for a small additional fee and is one block away. The Pointe Plaza is definitely recommended if you're planning to see the sights and sounds of Brooklyn.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 671RC671
Imam K, Manager at Pointe Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2013

We are very happy that you had a great stay at the Pointe Plaza Hotel.
Also happy to see that you recognized the value.
Very moderately priced and we offer a lot. Such as VERY GOOD breakfast.
Thank you for pointing that out.

Your feedback is much appreciated.
It was our honor having you here. We hope you are a frequent guest here
as so many of our loyal guests.