“So comfortable!”
Review of Pointe Plaza Hotel

Pointe Plaza Hotel
Ranked #26 of 74 Hotels in Brooklyn
Reviewed October 22, 2012

This hotel was just perfect! The room was really nice and spacious, the bath was the deepest one I've ever had in a hotel and the beds were so comfortable - I almost wished we'd stayed in the room for longer each day!
Our visit was for sight-seeing so we were barely in the hotel, there was no way that we were going to pay for an over-priced hotel in Manhattan so after looking at loads of hotels I settled on this one and so happy we did!
Staff were very friendly and gave us various maps and directions. The subway is a good 10 minute walk, we came back very late (about 1am-2am) each morning and got a taxi which is $20 (this was because we were always too tired to bother with getting the subway!).
The area of the hotel felt really safe.
Breakfast was a good variety.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank zeenx83
Monica K, Front Office Manager at Pointe Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2012

Hello and thank you so much for your feedback! We are delighted to know that you were pleased with your stay here with us at the Pointe Plaza Hotel. We really do take pride in ourselves and our staff of their willingness to go above and beyond for our guests in order to better their stay.
We look forward to welcoming you again in the future!!

Reviewed October 16, 2012

Wonderful room , free breakfast & free internet. A similar hotel room is twice the price in Manhattan & 20% more in other areas of Brooklyn.
The neighborhood is not conventional. Check out the Hatzlacha Supermarket around the corner - good takeout (kosher), nice produce & a Spinkles ice cream bar all a large market w/ Yiddish background music! Only kosher product & it's not open on Friday nights & Saturdays)
The staff was very friendly, helpful & went the extra mile in a number of situations.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
6  Thank FranWRG
Monica K, Front Office Manager at Pointe Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2012

Hello and thank you for leaving us a review on your recent stay at the Pointe Plaza Hotel. We are delighted to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us. We take pride in making sure that all of our guests feel comfortable and secure during their time. We hope to welcome you in the future.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

About 40 percent less than one of the cheapest hotel in manhantan,
Free breakfast (coffee,tea,orange juice,apple juice,fruits,bagel,bread,choice of cereals pastries etc
Free Internet, free shuttle to times square (remember to book it, and not on saturdays this is their sabbath,)friendly helpful willing to please front desk staff.safe to walk to subway 8 minutes.
Hasidic Jews in neighborhood not friendly, no surrounding night life, no restaurants,neighborhood not kept clean but safe to walk at nights

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed October 6, 2012

I picked this hotel in Brooklyn after realising that hotels in Manhattan are very expensive and not that good. To be fair, everything that is said about this hotel on Tripadvisor is pretty much spot on.. it is a clean hotel that offers very good service in an area of Brooklyn that is predominantly Jewish.... if you want a good base for exploring New York, that is clean, with spacious rooms, around 7 min walk to the G line subway ( with further 35 min or so journey into central NY) then you wont go wrong with the Pointe Plaza. Staff were helpful and friendly, included breakfast was more than adequate, extras such as coffee in the lobby and free internet was a bonus, as was the complimentary shuttle every morning into Times Square. Overall, had a very good stay here, and would certainly recommend to others.

Room Tip: Breakfast is served in a room on the 5th floor, from 6 am onwards, so possibly best to avoid this fl...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank markdroitwich
Monica K, General Manager at Pointe Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2012

Hello and thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at the Pointe Plaza Hotel. We are delighted to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us. We take much pride in making sure that all of our guests feel comfortable and happy during their stay. We hope to welcome you in the future.

Reviewed October 2, 2012

I've seen many comments talking about the jewish neighborhood before booking Pointe Plaza, but personnaly I've never felt bad about them. What I remind from my stay is how lovely the personnel is, upgrading me because of my troubles with my Greyhound bus cancelled and my late arrival (thanks US Customs), welcoming me by giving me NY and metro' maps, explaining how to reach Manhattan North and South the quickest way, and always providing good advice. I've never be welcomed so warmly.
By the way : don't stand in front of the hotel to wait for a cab, ask receprionist to call a limo, it's quicker and cheaper than those crazy yellow cabs you can find in Brooklyn...
Definitely the place I'll stay for my next trip to NY City...

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Bernard H
Monica K, Front Office Manager at Pointe Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2012

Hello and thank you so much for such a detailed and positive feedback on your recent stay at the Pointe Plaza Hotel. We are delighted to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us. We take pride in ourselves to make every guest feel comfortable and at ease during their stay as well as keeping the hotel spic and span the same as if it were at your home. Once again, thank you for staying with us and we wish to welcome you in the future.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

Stayed there, my husband and I, at the end of our honeymoon from 21-26th of Sept. We arrived late night and felt dreadful after queuing at the "#%=)# passport check at JFK for 2,5h. We were greeted by a friendly female receptionist who were quick in her actions and suprisingly upgraded us from a regular room to a suite with separate bedroom and large kitchenette with dining table and sofa. This was very welcomed and meant A LOT for us honeymooners! We found the immediate hotel surrounding clean and the insterioe of the hotel had very nicely schemed colouring with clean surfaces and modern interior. It was peaceful for the eye. I always likes shades of brown and gold! =) Our room was a big suite with high ceiling which was a positive extra touch. We liked the furniture and the overall room quality. The fridge and micro was very useful to us as we ordered in quite a few times. The recpetion was eager to assist with ofood ordering options. The hotel was quite far from the closest subway and it was only after halfway through our stay that we were told about the bus that takes you from right behind the corner on Flushing street to the best shopping area in Brooklyn! The bus stopped on Jay street just one block from the subway to Manhattan! Busing from the hotel to Jay street and taking the subway from Jay street to Manhattan became the best option for us to move around. I mean there was always enough energy to walk TO the subway in the mornings but just the thought of having to walk back from the subway to the hotel after 8 hours of walking around Manhattan was not tempting. The area in itself was very quiet and peaceful with the majority being religious people's homes. The computers in the business center were very slow and one could hear doors closing 24/7. The doors close extremely loud and I would suggest you put some hydraulics on each door to make them close slower. Not with a BANG. In the bathroom we missed a shelf or two for our necessities and the beds were too short for us. We are both around 172 cm and our feet peeked over the edge of the bed. The beds were also way too soft for our backs. We found it strange that the shuttle van would take us to Manhattan but not back in the afternoon or evening.... The room TV had good channels but the image was of poor quality. You need to ask for utencils and kitchen necessicites from the front desk! The room maid must have been distracted because every second day our bed covers would be upside down and every second correct. The day cover and decoration pillow would also be on the bed every second day but every second day they were left on the armchair we put them on when going to bed every night. All the other staff were also very friendly and helped us with whatever question we had. We were lucky to experience Brooklyn, the hip area of Williamsburg and the interesting Hasidic Jews as we would not have experienced any of those, had we stayed at Manhattan. Don't hesitate to get to know the centre of shopping in Brooklyn! We felt safe whenever we would be there shopping and made great bargains there!

Room Tip: We stayed at room 401 which faced the inner yard. The view was only to Franklin avenue and our room...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank EvelynErika
Monica K, General Manager at Pointe Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2012

Hello and thank you so much for your feedback on your recent stay at the Pointe Plaza Hotel. We are delighted to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us. We were very happy to upgrade you to a better room fit for "honeymooners" . We take pride in ourselves to make every guest feel comfortable and at ease during their stay. We really do try to accommodation all of our guests as best we can. Once again, thank you for staying with us and we wish to welcome you in the future.

Reviewed September 29, 2012

HOTEL:
Well The Pointe Plaza Hotel what can I say? First of all the smell........AMAZING.....Every time my daughter and I walked through the front door, out of our room, EVERYTIME the smell of a fresh day spa emanated throughout the halls and the elevators. Initially when we arrived via the G-Train we went the wrong way (ratchet HOPSTOP instructions) or rather I am not skilled in the area of North West, East West, just give me a cool turn left, turn right, go straight, and I'm good. Anyway I finally broke down and called the hotel and Anna (I think was her name) tried desperately to help us get there on foot, but then I asked her to call us a "cab" (stay tuned) so she gave me the number and the guy said someone would be by within 3 minutes and he was.......HOWEVER..........what appeared was not a cab in the “traditional” sense. It was a gentleman in a crown victoria (or other police looking car) and I was terrified yet I had to go with my instincts and chose to believe that surely the Pointe Plaza Hotel was not re-enacting a scene from the movie Taken with us in the starring roles, soooooooo we got in………after I took photos of plates, the driver, the car etc. etc. and emailed to my husband "smile" (just in case ya’ll)…….. And we were off & literally arrived within 3 mins. Anna gave me no hassles what so ever (we got there before actual check in) and although there was some question about our reservation & us having a TV or not she honored what we had been quoted and what we had been told when we made the reservation on the phone and worked it out.

BREAKFAST/HOUSE KEEPING/SHUTTLE/DRIVER SERVICE
The bagels are a must have I believe the come from the Jewish bakery, hot, fresh, soft or the traditional chewy version they were excellent. The lady from house keeping who monitored the breakfast room was sweet as she could be. Sometimes people just need a smile from you, it takes the edge off & opens everyone up. The Shuttle was on time and got us in town quite quickly. The "cab" AKA driver service was fast & affordable. We used them to eat at a great spot in Williamsburg called Sea. They took us there and back $16 no long waiting & the fare was great for the convenience and quality.

SAFETY:
ARE YOU KIDDING? That is an understatement! We were stationed smack dab in the Hasidic community and while the folk sort of look through you rather than at you & my smile and say hello motto did not EVER work on any one of men, women or children that I repeatedly practiced on, I still knew or chose to believe that if anyone had tried any funny business with me or my daughter they would have been hard pressed to get away with it because lovely's, ALL eyes were on us. I'm sure the brown in our skin helped to take that to new heights as we walked freely around the neighborhood and in the Hasidic run stores. We're talking little, little, little babies running up and down the street in the dark, playing, pushing other little, little babies in strollers and no parental in sight! It was beyond safe & fascinating, and as much as they stared at us, I found myself unable not to stare back.

GOING BACK!
YES, YES, YES!!! My Atlanta buddies were a bit concerned about the area and us walking at night after leaving the city, but honestly it couldn't be safer or cleaner. This place is “winning”!!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family