“ATL Comes To Pointe Plaza”
Review of Pointe Plaza Hotel

Pointe Plaza Hotel
Ranked #24 of 71 Hotels in Brooklyn
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
“ATL Comes To Pointe Plaza”
Reviewed September 29, 2012

HOTEL:
Well The Pointe Plaza Hotel what can I say? First of all the smell........AMAZING.....Every time my daughter and I walked through the front door, out of our room, EVERYTIME the smell of a fresh day spa emanated throughout the halls and the elevators. Initially when we arrived via the G-Train we went the wrong way (ratchet HOPSTOP instructions) or rather I am not skilled in the area of North West, East West, just give me a cool turn left, turn right, go straight, and I'm good. Anyway I finally broke down and called the hotel and Anna (I think was her name) tried desperately to help us get there on foot, but then I asked her to call us a "cab" (stay tuned) so she gave me the number and the guy said someone would be by within 3 minutes and he was.......HOWEVER..........what appeared was not a cab in the “traditional” sense. It was a gentleman in a crown victoria (or other police looking car) and I was terrified yet I had to go with my instincts and chose to believe that surely the Pointe Plaza Hotel was not re-enacting a scene from the movie Taken with us in the starring roles, soooooooo we got in………after I took photos of plates, the driver, the car etc. etc. and emailed to my husband "smile" (just in case ya’ll)…….. And we were off & literally arrived within 3 mins. Anna gave me no hassles what so ever (we got there before actual check in) and although there was some question about our reservation & us having a TV or not she honored what we had been quoted and what we had been told when we made the reservation on the phone and worked it out.

BREAKFAST/HOUSE KEEPING/SHUTTLE/DRIVER SERVICE
The bagels are a must have I believe the come from the Jewish bakery, hot, fresh, soft or the traditional chewy version they were excellent. The lady from house keeping who monitored the breakfast room was sweet as she could be. Sometimes people just need a smile from you, it takes the edge off & opens everyone up. The Shuttle was on time and got us in town quite quickly. The "cab" AKA driver service was fast & affordable. We used them to eat at a great spot in Williamsburg called Sea. They took us there and back $16 no long waiting & the fare was great for the convenience and quality.

SAFETY:
ARE YOU KIDDING? That is an understatement! We were stationed smack dab in the Hasidic community and while the folk sort of look through you rather than at you & my smile and say hello motto did not EVER work on any one of men, women or children that I repeatedly practiced on, I still knew or chose to believe that if anyone had tried any funny business with me or my daughter they would have been hard pressed to get away with it because lovely's, ALL eyes were on us. I'm sure the brown in our skin helped to take that to new heights as we walked freely around the neighborhood and in the Hasidic run stores. We're talking little, little, little babies running up and down the street in the dark, playing, pushing other little, little babies in strollers and no parental in sight! It was beyond safe & fascinating, and as much as they stared at us, I found myself unable not to stare back.

GOING BACK!
YES, YES, YES!!! My Atlanta buddies were a bit concerned about the area and us walking at night after leaving the city, but honestly it couldn't be safer or cleaner. This place is “winning”!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank TreiVocals
Monica K, General Manager at Pointe Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Hello and thank you so much for such a detailed and positive feedback on your recent stay at the Pointe Plaza Hotel. We are delighted to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us. We take pride in ourselves to make every guest feel comfortable and at ease during their stay as well as keeping the hotel spic and span the same as if it were at your home. Once again, thank you for staying with us and we wish to welcome you in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Hebrew first
Beverley, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 26, 2012

We spent 9 nights at the Pointe Plaza Hotel and the location was perfect for us. The area was an interesting experience as it was in the heart of a Jewish community. The locals aren't keen on the tourists and did give us funny looks, the men ran across the road when they saw us coming but as two females, walking alone in the dark, I felt very safe in this area. Which was as important as the quality of the hotel.
The nearest underground was a bit further than we had imagined by looking at the map at the time of booking, but it wasn't a problem. It was about 10 minutes walk and we got to see the area of Williamsburg and some of the other areas of Brooklyn as well instead of just Manhattan. To us it was the perfect location.

The reception staff at the hotel were the absolute highlight!! The girls working in the mornings always had a smile on their faces and always had time for a quick chat, in the evenings the boys always greeted us with a smile. The reception provided maps and advice and answered all the silly questions we had.
The cleaning staff, however, was rude and unfriendly. I always greeted them, and barely got a grunt back. The first morning, we left a "Do not disturb" sign outside, and they still helped themselves in. Where I come from, it means "Keep away!". The first morning, the room got a thorough cleaning, they even took our drinking glasses away which we hadn't even used, and didn't provide any clean ones. After that the cleaning went downhill, they came in to change the sheets (which we didn't want, and told them so by leaving the note on the bed as requested) but left everything else. Shampoo bottle didn't get replaced, but kept leaving multiple bottles of lotion which we obviously weren't using. The drinking glasses (which I had to ask for twice), they didn't touch at all after complaining about it. They kept leaving the dirty glasses and just rearranging them in a neat line.. Ok, great, it looked tidy, but you have just gone and touched my drinking glass with possibly dirty hands... Nice.. And the last night, my friend's bed didn't have a sheet on. She decided to sleep on it anyway because it was late when we got in and we weren't in the mood to start waiting for someone to make the bed properly.

But even with the issues with the cleaners, I still recommend this hotel!! Don't be put of by that, because rest of the staff is lovely and the hotel is clean, rooms are big with massive, comfortable beds and kitchenettes! We were more than happy to stay there! Great value for money!

Breakfast was adequate, bit of a poor continental. It did lack sandwich meat and vegetables. I would've liked cucumber or tomatoes or something with my sandwich, we did get fed up with eating bread and cheese every day, there was no variety (unless you wanted to eat cereal and yoghurt instead). We did grab a cup of coffee with us a couple of mornings and got breakfast elsewhere. But it was free breakfast so can't complain too much=) It just lacked variety but what we got, it was very nice! We did stay for 9 nights so eating the same thing every morning, started getting a bit boring.

If or when I get a chance to go back to New York, I would definitely stay there again. NYC is massive and really never does sleep so it was nice to get away from the city to wind down.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Tanja L
Monica K, General Manager at Pointe Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Hello and thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback about the Pointe Plaza Hotel. We are extremely happy to learn that you were pleased with your stay and would come back for another visit. As for the housekeeping, we feel terrible and i wish you would have perhaps mentioned something while you were here so we could have taken the proper action. Once again we do truly apologize about this matter. We take pride in providing our guests with the utmost service that meets their individual needs. We are glad that you found the area to be safe and were satisfied with what the neighborhood has to offer.
We hope to welcome you again!
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 20, 2012

I stayed at the Pointe Plaza Hotel for 5nights towards the ending of march 2012. This hotel is defiantly somewhere I would recommend To anybody especially if your not ready to pay Ridiculous city prices.

Firstly the staff are extremely friendky and always seek to help you with any queries you may have. The hotel also offers a free shuttle bus that takes you direct to times square at 9am every morning. The driver that took us was also very friendly. Bear in mind you will have to book the shuttle bus the night before.

In terms of transportation to the city. We used the flushing Avenu subway. Its all abit confusing at first as the city subway system is all done through a lettering system. But new Yorkers are extremely friendly. The subway is about 5-8 minutes awat from the hotel
I'm not 100% sure on the buses as We never used them

The rooms that we stayed in we're extremely clean aswell. We had very comfortable queen sized bed's! Also the ceilings are very high! Also the Manhattan Skyline Views Were BREATHTAKING! Honestly i would recommend getting a room on the TOP Floor!

We also had a mini kitchenette. However there are no pots, pans or cutlery for use (which seems a bit pointless) but never the less the ladies at the reception provides us with plastic paper plates and cutlery.

The bathroom and toilet are also very clean. And believe me the hot water is HOT!!!

The hotel is situated in the Jewish area of Brooklyn. So you WILL see a lot of Jewish families around. At first the area does seen a bit run down and even 'unsafe' but honestly the area is completely fine. I saw a t little kids playing together at around 7/8pm.

In terms of the breakfast offered. It is very simple. Toast, bagles, croissants , coffee, juice and an assortment of breakfast cereals is basiclly whats on offer
The breakfast room is on the seventh or eight8 th floor in a normal sized room. Whilst we stayed there a member of the hotel staff would constantly greet us and ask us if we needed any help which was nice

Also the hotel offered free complimentary hot drinks At the reception for all guests! We the British love TEA!

Overall I would give my stay at the Pointe Plaza a 4.5 out of 5. The hotel really is a haven. Great staff, great room and a generally great experience

I have a youtube channel where i vlogged my entire trip: here's the link to the video. Hope you enjoy

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Esther150
Hello and thank you so much for such a detailed and positive feedback on your recent stay at the Pointe Plaza Hotel. We are delighted to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us. We take pride in ourselves to make every guest feel comfortable and at ease during their stay. The youtube video by the way was awesome so thank you for that! We really do try to accommodation all of our guests as best we can. Once again, thank you for staying with us and we wish to welcome you in the future.
Perth Scotland
Reviewed September 14, 2012

Waking up every morning to the Manhattan skyline really added something to our stay, and at night with all the lights twinkling it was lovely. I was impressed with the standard of cleanliness as this is something I really look for in an hotel. I liked the kitchenette facility where we could eat our breakfast having collected it from two doors down. The free shuttle bus was a great facility as we could then afford a taxi back. Natives not friendly! But that is their way, and I'm not criticising. Staff very obliging, and all in all i definitely recommend this
Hote

Room Tip: We stayed on the fifth floor which was the same as the breakfast room so that was great. Take your o...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank helenkrystyna
Monica K, General Manager at Pointe Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Hello and thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at the Pointe Plaza Hotel. We are delighted to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us. We take much pride in making sure that all of our guests feel comfortable and happy during their stay. We hope to welcome you in the future.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 12, 2012

I spent two nights in Pointe Plaza with my group arriving from Europe for US & Canada three weeks tour. NYC was our first stopover. I was pleased and surprised with w warmth of welcome they gave us in Pointe Plaza Hotel. The staff there is very professional, polite and helpful. We got some coffee while checking-in, maps, guidebooks and advices. Rooms were clean, comfortable and really high (ours were with kitchenettes). Hotel is located in very interesting area - the district of NY orthodox Jewish community, so walking around feels like walking back in times into Bruno Schultz's books. The only two disadvantages I can point out are: 1). the subway station is pretty far. It's still walkable distance but it will take you at least 15-20 minutes. 2) breakfast is continental and they do not have any restaurant or spacious eating place, just a tiny one "breakfast room", But above all - we did enjoy our stay and I can recommend this hotel as a good place to stay in Brooklyn/Williamsburg.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Kaja C
Monica K, General Manager at Pointe Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Hello and thank you for your recent feedback on your stay at the Pointe Plaza Hotel. We are extremely delighted to know that you have enjoyed your stay. We take much pride in keeping our hotel fresh and clean in order to better the stay of our guests. As you have seen, we are located in a unique part of Williamsburg which can be a learning experience for everyone. We hope to welcome you in the future!
scotland
Reviewed September 11, 2012 via mobile

My friend and I are just back after staying at the pointe plaza for 6 nights. The hotel is very clean and fresh. The staff are friendly and provided us with maps etc. breakfast was great and we were able to take a tray to our room. Free shuttle bus was excellent, coming back a night we took a taxi which cost about $15, the map came in handy as most of the drivers didn't know where to go. The area it's self is a bit run down and the locals aren't overly friendly but felt quite safe. We had a great view from room overlooking the Manhattan skyline. Room cleaned everyday with fresh towels daily. Wouldn't hesitate to come back again

• Stayed September 2012
3 Thank kinrosslady
Hello and thank you for your recent feedback on your stay at the Pointe Plaza Hotel. We are extremely delighted to know that you have enjoyed your stay. We take much pride in keeping our hotel fresh and clean in order to better the stay of our guests. We hope to welcome you in the future!
New York
Reviewed September 10, 2012

i thought that the hotel was very good value for money. Our room was very spacious with kitchen failities like fridge freezer, electric cooker and micro wave, in another adjourning room. We were able to utilise the fridge freezer and microwave during our stay. The rooms were clean, although we had problems with our chambermaid. Once management became aware of our dissatification, the problem was dealt with immediately.

Although the hotel was very good, I was not too impressed with the location. It was quite a distance from the nearest metro to go into town. A shuttle service was provided at 9.30am every morning to Times Square, apart from Saturday, but you had to make your way back to the hotel. It was also a distance from local restaurants. These are essential as the hotel, apart from providing you with a continental breakfast, does not have a restaurant, and after a long day out sight seeing you are too tired to make the trek to feed yourself.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

2 Thank Atim O
Hello and thank you for leaving us your feedback on your recent stay at the Pointe Plaza Hotel. We are glad to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us. Our hotel is located in a unique part of Williamsburg which i am sure can be a learning experience for all. Restaurants and subway stations are just a few blocks away (10 minute walking distance) from the Pointe Plaza Hotel. We do wish to welcome you in the near future.