“Staff unwilling to serve and be nice”
Review of Brooklyn Fare

Brooklyn Fare
Ranked #102 of 5,459 Restaurants in Brooklyn
Dining options: Reservations
Description: this is the only Michelin star restaurant in Brookly. Its an absolutely amazing place.
Reviewed November 14, 2012

Who needs to pay a lot of money to not be well treated by the people who gets the money?
This is the case at this place.
Food? Ok, the food is good. But going to a restaurant is not only about eating. After all, there are more chefs in the world than people to pay for their restaurants.

6  Thank clco
There are newer reviews for Brooklyn Fare

Reviewed November 3, 2012

Attitude included. The food was very good, although the raw dishes were much better than the cooked. However, the service was so inhospitable that it didn't just neutralized the cuisine, it soured it.

We were the last two of the first seating to arrive (at 6:33), and it looked like the staff was pissed. They rushed to get our coats off, and the girl hostess (a 20-something) pointed to two seats and said "you're over there." We chose the wine pairing--$150/person for 6 glasses (in addition to the $579 food bill per couple). They gave us each--no joke- a 2 oz pour, which was supposed to last 3 courses. We finished it before the third course. They poured the next glass, and again gave us the same small pour (at $25/glass!). I asked the wine girl ( another 20-something) if she could bring us an additional wine off the by-the-glass list. She asked if there was something wrong with the wines she was pouring. I said that the wines were good, but the pours were very stingy. She actually said "that's the pairing pour. if you want to get your own bottle, you can. But we are all about generosity here," and then stormed away, ungenerously.

The dinner proceeded until the sweet courses, when we were poured a JJ Prum Reisling Auslese--a wine I own. It was off. The wine had bubbles in it, and it wasn't supposed to, which means that the wine was bottled before it had completed its fermentation. It lacked the body and sweetness it should have had because it hadn't fully fermented. I had the wine girl come over again, and I said that the wine was flawed. She said "no it isn't." I tried to explain why I thought so and she became even more argumentative, saying "I stand behind every bottle I serve." When I started to reply that she should really taste the wine to see what I mean, the chef came over and said "can I speak with you outside?" I asked him why that was necessary, and he said that I was being loud, which I wasn't. I said that the wine girl was being rude and argumentative. He said (I swear): "this is my restaurant. I don't come to your kitchen and tell you what to do." I was stunned. I repeated: "the wine is flawed." He asked if I wanted a different wine--something that the wine girl could have said minutes ago--and I said yes.

The rest of the evening went without incident, or without any "good byes" from the staff as we left. All this for $900 a couple. Save your money and your self esteem and go to Per Se or Eleven Madison--you'll be treated with first-class hospitality and have money left over for cab fare and then some.

12  Thank VParry
Reviewed November 1, 2012

We came here to experience the freshest upcoming chef in New York. We have mixed feelings of our meal here. The food is amazing and fresh. The chef did not skimp on the quality of the ingredients and we had about 24 courses, each prepared by hand by him and his sous chefs. Some highlights include a dish with uni and green apple, ravioli with fresh shaved white truffle, duck with black truffle, a plethora of fresh fish bathed in deliious sauces and oils, and an oyster shooter. There are just too many dishes to list or even remember. The meal takes 3 hours so prepare to spend a long evening there.

Several small, albeit noticeable things linger on our minds. First, the place is small. It is a chefs table that seats a total of 18 with the "kitchen" at one end. Trapped in the middle of this chefs table is a server that will place the dishes in front of you and describe them to you. The table is stainless steel, which is why many people feel that it exudes a "cold" sensation to the place. It is also true that conversation is limited but we did not feel it was overtly quiet. Since there are only 18 people there, it will not be as noisy as an Applebee's and of course not as delicious.

The other issue was with the alcohol. With any good meal, you want to wash it down with some wine. We were planning on bringing some wine because we heard you could BYOB for a $30 corkage fee. Well, we called twice more to confirm and the price and continued to go up to the point that it was more expensive than many wines. This may be a ploy to get you to order one from their wine list and we did just that. I do understand that a corkage fee is a priviledge at some restaurants, but I only ask that the fee be constant and reasonable.

My wife and I are foodies and go to restaurants mostly for the taste of foods. For this reason, we don't think TOO much about the location or the ambience. I think this is one of the reasons that this restaurant appeals to some and not to others. One thing I really enjoyed at this restaurant compared to other famous chef restaurants is that you actually see Chef Ramirez working with his staff to prepare your meal. You get to even converse with him during your dinner.

Now with so many reviews detailing your entire experience, there should be no surprise what to expect when you get there. Go here for the food, not for the conversation, service, or bargain. Would I come back here again? YOU BET!!

1  Thank acwong
Reviewed September 10, 2012

I wish that "DineShopTrave" had been sitting next to us. We would have welcomed the conversation. The torched garnishes were the warmest thing in the whole experience. The staff was incredibly icy. It was as if we were transported into a Stainless drum on a secret mission. There is no printed menu and no conversation regarding the content of the tastings. Vague mention of ingredients would be stated in a rehearsed chant just after placement of the food at each couple. It was almost as if to say "I'd tell you but I would have to kill you". The food was creative, certainly, and the first few offerings were delicious. As the experience continued, the balance seemed 'off'. A pallat cleanser would have been a saving grace. We, too, dove into post dinner snacks because we left feeling hungry, insulted and angry, and would never recommend this to anyone.

7  Thank Wheels5791
Reviewed September 6, 2012

I going to get "foodie" hate mail for this BUT, here goes:

First off, the reservation process is said to be difficult but I emailed them about a special occasion and if they had a cancellation, I'd take the spot and they called me back within 24hrs.

The price had gone up since I had seen reviews but that's ok.
The BYOW had changed to buy it from us but that's ok. (except that with the $250+pp and ALSO restaurant wince prices, this treat turned into a very pricey experience...but that's ok.

The food was delicious, inventive and unique. We loved all th courses, textures, presentations.

What we did not love is the steril environment in which people barely speak because the Chef's personality (or at least demeanor) is such that You must be silent and that all and only speak when spoken to. He is creative and a huge success and being a creative silent type is ok too but when the staff and he both are so silent and seem to be so devoid of personality that the whole experience seems surgical...it's not ok.

18 guests X $300/each (approx) X 2 seatings = You make enough money to be a litte bit friendly or entertaining or at least pay someone who is.

The strong silent type is endearing for a bit but crack a smile, chit chat a bit, gimme something....

It was a gastronomic affair, delicious and most foodies will love it, we did love the food but were still very hungry afterwards and went for a late night snack as soon as it was "acceptable" to leave. If you want different and have the money to spend, try it and see if maybe they change their approach to how guests are treated..while the food is wonderful, the atmosphere is not and frankly at $600 - $1000 per couple, I need atmosphere.

It was like Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman, she has a great product but I still want a kiss on the mouth for that much money.

5  Thank DrinkDineTravel