“Amazing tasting”

Ranked #135 of 5,552 Restaurants in Brooklyn
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 28, 2014

My brother-in-law recommend Traif for our trip to NY. He made reservations for Friday evening and we were able to get in quickly. We chose to do the chef's selection which was a nice option versus trying to get enough of each plate for everyone. They were happy to accommodate any dietary restrictions (no Tartar due to pregnancy). The bacon fat focaccia was beyond delicious as were the bacon doughnuts. I even said the scallop was good which was a big step for me as a seafood hater. They went a little crazy on the peas which means a lot coming from a pea lover. Overall the meal was fantastic and there was more than enough food (at least for a smaller female not sure if the men feel the same way.)

Reviewed May 23, 2014

Yes it isn't kosher, but wow! We ate outside and loved every single course which they recommended. Some dishes we had to repeat. This is not an inexpensive place, but it is well worth it for a special occasion. We set outside on the covered terrace and it was spectacular in coolness (not too) and privacy. I recommend this highly.

Reviewed May 10, 2014

As a prelude to riding the Five Boros bike ride we made a reservation for my wife and family at Traif. Both my sons live in Clinton Hills so it was a short ride to the restaurant. My younger son recommended we try the tasting menu. We asked if the kitchen could stress courses with fish or shellfish and the kitchen was more than happy to accommodate. We had an amuse of pea soup and then prawns, scallops and fish as part the eleven courses. The only meat was delicious barbecue ribs. There was not a miss from the salad to the dessert. My only complaint was the wine policy. I did not call ahead to check if outside wine was allowed. I brought some old wines from my cellar only to be informed wine had to be purchased from the list. There was an eclectic selection but not many older wines to choose from. I must comment about the wonderful Schott crystal the wine was served with. However, because of the wine policy I probably would hesitate to dine at Traif frequently even though the food was excellent and the tasting menu a true bargain for New York.

1  Thank napman
Reviewed May 6, 2014 via mobile

One of the best food ever tried worldwide!
The mix and match,salty and sweet in a perfect and totally creative way makes it the perfect place for people who loves every kind of food and love to experiment new tastes! They have small dishes so that you can taste more of them sharing the food with your friends.
The more you try the more you want to go back there ASAP.

Reviewed April 27, 2014

The small and yes very noisy space belies the friendly and professional service, unique food, (one dish was better than the next) and is an excellent value. That tiny kitchen is amazing. What else could a foodie want?:-)