“Know what you're signing up for”

The Missing Lantern
Ranked #42 of 58 Brooklyn B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 7, 2013

So....when you book with this place, what you don't know is that the address listed is not the address you may be staying. Not until we received our confirmation did we get the address where we were actually staying, which was quite a ways from 1156 Dean Street (the address on the web site). I am very comfortable in Brooklyn - have been there many times - but many may not be. Suite 7, where we stayed, is in the Bedford-Stuyvesant neighborhood, which is a little more run-down than some of the other neighborhoods (one of the two nights we were there we were awakened by gunfire). The place itself was nice once inside (although there were no directions for the TV and try as we might, we could only get one channel) and we felt quite safe inside and walking in the neighborhood during daytime hours. However, for those not used to this, you might not feel so safe and you should at least know before you book what address you're booking for and what neighborhood it's in.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
6  Thank Joanna L

Reviewed May 5, 2013

My husband and I pulled up and were a bit leary of the neighborhood, we were just getting bags out of the car when we were approached by a creepy looking man. We decided for our safety it was wise to NOT stay here! We had to go into Manhattan at 5pm on a Friday night and pay top dollar at the last minute to get a room for the night. Then Saturday night we had to find a different room. Thank you Comfort Inn !!! I called Management and the refused to fully refund us. I got bad info on parking, was given bad phone numbers, etc. Very poorly managed.

CM

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Dunkin2013
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Great location and fabulous price for a New York hotel! Customer service was impeccable. Clean, unique, cute hotel. The only draw back was we wanted to sleep four people and although the bed was big the pull out couch was really only for one person!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 7, 2012

I used to stay at the hotels in Manhattan when I visited NYC. Because of Hurricane Sandy, this time I chose the hotel in Brooklyn instead. This actually was my first time staying in the Missing Lantern. I was very pleased with my stay. This place is much spacious and economical compared to the hotels in Manhattan. I feel very cozy and comfortable with its unique decor and setting. I also like its using door security code instead of using keys/cards. It is much easier without carrying keys or cards around. The service is wonderful. Location is close to the subway, bus station, grocery stores, and restaurants. I will definitely stay at the Missing Lantern again. If you are an easy going person, like the cultural diversity, prefer a spacious room with full size kitchen, and also like to save big money, this is certainly a great place to stay.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Annyhu
Reviewed November 3, 2012

I choose the Missing Lantern because of it's uniqueness and it's location. I had an event at Barclay's Arena in Brooklyn. The location is close to the subway at Nostrand and Fulton which comes out right near Atlantic (Barclays Arena). The subway station at Nostrand and Fulton (Which also goes into Manhattan) is a colorful 6 block walk. Nostrand avenue is a hodgepodge of restaurants, a few bars, street vendors, and a host of interesting characters.

NOTE: If you require car service, you can let the girl who does the reservations know, and she will set the car service up for you (This is especially helpful with getting back to the Airport). This is much better than trying to schedule through a cab company. Cab companies are notoriously unreliable in Brooklyn/Manhattan, especially if you need it to be there at a certain time. Also, Brooklyn isn't like Manhattan where you can just hail a cab. So take the subway or have her reserve a car service for you.

The accommodation's were clean and comfortable. The decor is fitting of what you would expect of an older generation brownstone, and it has a full kitchen. It's quite comfortable. I stayed in unit number 8 on the third floor. It has free wi fi too which is helpful.

If you're not a "city person" the location might be a bit intimidating at first, but don't let it hamper you from going out and exploring the neighborhood. It's very safe. Don't let any preconceptions keep you from getting out and taking a walk up and down Nostrand to see the cultural diversity that is Brooklyn.

I will definitely stay at the Missing Lantern again, when in Brooklyn.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank TerenceMichael
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I have friends who live in the area and when we went up for an overnight visit, they recommended the Missing Lantern as a place to stay (they didn't have room for all four of us to crash with them). My friend made the reservation and was in constant communication with the owners, which was good. The day before we found out the room we had reserved was under construction, so we got a free upgrade. When we arrived the room was not ready (although we arrived exactly when we said we would, and it was in the afternoon) but they quickly cleaned it and made it presentable.

The suite we had (#9 I believe) was nice. It easily fit the four of us, although the bedroom didn't have a door just as an FYI. The kitchen area was nice for picking up food at a market and cooking there. The bathroom had more of a European design but was spacious enough for all of us. In terms of comfort, the sofa bed was fairly comfortable and the bed itself was nice. I know some people have mentioned the neighborhood, and to be honest it is a transitional neighborhood. Immigrant heavy, but if you've lived in a city before you would not feel uncomfortable at all staying here (I didn't). I can see how people who are not used to cities may want to stay somewhere more established. The neighborhood has some great ethnic food within walking distance and is close to a number of subway stations.

Overall, a good deal and a pretty good place to stay. But make sure you read all the reviews before booking, as this is not a place for everyone.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank bigeyedfish82
Reviewed September 1, 2012

Soiled sheets and cockroaches awaited us! My husband, my 5 year old son and myself. We spent $173 for a sofa that didn't even have sheets...let alone pull out. AC window unit that made a loud noise all night. A fan in the nook of a bedroom. We had to lay the child on towels because the sheets had blood stains. Cockroaches running in the bathroom. We called ahead regarding a late arrival but there is no concierge, no one to assist with getting baggage up the narrow stairs or to respond to your emergency! The phone number just rings! And urine permeates the entrance way!

I took pictures of the filthy sheets and the cockroaches.

The owner, who never even afforded us a personal call after our woes but opted to communicate via his office assistant, offered us a free stay in another of their 'better' rooms! And here, when we paid that price, we thought we were getting better....

Don't trust their website. It is overrated. I'm taking this all the way to the BBB!

• Stayed: August 2012
8  Thank the_Bella_trini
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brooklyn
East Norwich Inn
#1 of 1 in East Norwich
View Inn and Suites JFK
#2 of 5 in Ozone Park
Financial District
BEST WESTERN PLUS Seaport Inn Downtown
BEST WESTERN PLUS Seaport Inn Do...
#287 of 471 in New York City
Midtown
Park Savoy
Park Savoy
#439 of 471 in New York City
Super 8 Long Island City LGA Hot...
#28 of 34 in Long Island City
Midtown
Courtyard New York Manhattan/Times Square West
Courtyard New York Manhattan/Tim...
#156 of 471 in New York City

Been to The Missing Lantern? Share your experiences!