“Romantic Getaway”
Review of The Condor Hotel

The Condor Hotel
Ranked #23 of 74 Hotels in Brooklyn
Reviewed August 7, 2013

I live in Brooklyn NY but wanted a nice romantic getaway for my boyfriend & I. Condor did not disappoint! We had an amazing stay at this hotel. What a nice, luxury, plush room we had. I love the rooms at this hotel, very clean and modern. The bed was extremely comfortable and the room was especially clean and very comfortable. I didn't want to leave the room all weekend. Its a perfect hotel that makes you feel really good being there, the staff was very accommodating. The rooms are beautiful & spacious, the hallways are very clean and luxury as well - we are booking another night there very soon! I would recommend this hotel over and over again, its a 10 star!! Book Condor you will be glad you did!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
David-CondorHotel, General Manager at The Condor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2013

Dear Tiffany,

My staff and I are so happy that we were able to give you a 5 star stay on your "romantic getaway." Your rave review and feedback is so helpful to us. We take all of our guests comments seriously and what you wrote let's us know what we are doing right.

We can't wait to see you again real soon!

Thanks,

Condor Hotel

Write a ReviewReviews (1,015)

Reviewed August 6, 2013

I
LOVE
THIS
HOTEL.

My husband is from Brooklyn and whenever we visit or are there on music business (several times a month) we always stay at the "W" in Manhattan. No Brooklyn hotel was up to our standards, and we've stayed in a few (such as the Days Inn).

This hotel is magnificent. It looks so small on the outside but the rooms are spacious (KIng Room). There is a refrigerator, microwave, and small kitchen area. But it is unobtrusive and fits perfectly in the room.

The linens were clean. The bathroom is a dream. My 2 year old thought the bathtub was a swimming pool and we could hardly get him out each night.

And there is a private balcony attached to the room that faces a wall -- but so what! A balcony in a hotel room is a nice touch.

There is free breakfast every morning in the ballroom. The staff is so helpful and the 'Make Your Own Waffle' section was a hit as well. Plus there are healthy options such as hardboiled eggs and yogurt.

Parking isn't a problem as long as the front desk is clear about where the gated parking lot is (across the street). The front desk has to give you access to this lot and the first time I asked the guy sent me across to the parking lot without (essentially) buzzing me in. So I had to walk back across the street with a sleepy toddler to clear up the confusion and get the code to buzz in. The parking is $17 a day and you can enter and exit as much as you want. Excellent.

My one and only complaint about this truly awesome establishment is that I was told at checkin that a $250 HOLD would be put on my card as a security deposit. I was seriously taken aback by this for several reasons:

1. Why (in all my booking (through Expedia) was I not directed to the caveat/warning/etc stating that there was a "security deposit" hold at this location? Perhaps I would have paid it, perhaps not, but there should have been SEVERAL spots on the INFORMATION PAGE of this hotel that tells about this deposit.

2. Is this a legitimate charge that is given to EVERY person who stays there? My gut tells me no.
I refuse to attribute this to being a "Person of Color" charge simply put on me because I looked a certain way (It could have been a "Looks like a Rock Star Musician" Charge since I am a musician and I do have that "vibe") ... but I do think it is odd since more upscale establishments who have way more to lose if the guests destroys the room or has a raucous party don't charge "security deposits". These other hotels know that in most cases, just having the guest's credit card and license on file means they can at least sue you or charge your card without having the ugly "security deposit" business as the first impression ones gets of their hotel as soon as they walk in the door.

Great hotel. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Try not to get a room on the First Floor as they are right by the front door or the elevators. My 2n...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Sasha M
David-CondorHotel, General Manager at The Condor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2013

Dear Sasha,

Thank you so much for choosing our hotel and taking a whole bunch of time out of your busy day to share such helpful and detailed feedback. I am very happy that we were able to deliver a 5 star stay even though you had some confusion as to our incidentals hold. I'd like to address that in depth for you and our future guests. I also invite you please to contact me directly so that I can show you or even e-mail you a screen shot of the following information. You can e-mail me at manager@condorny.com (I don't have your contact information because you booked through Expedia and they don't share that information with hotels) or call me at the hotel at 718-526-6367 (just ask for me, David).

I can imagine how frustrating and even hurtful it may have been to feel that you were singled out for an incidentals hold. We have guests from all over the world. Our incidentals hold is applied to everyone. To be clear, it is a standard $250 authorization on your credit card that is released upon check-out. It's not an actual charge.

On our Expedia page you can see a few pieces of information about our policies. I have copied and pasted them below:

1. Under the "Policies" section: "Government-issued photo identification and a credit card or cash deposit are required at check-in for incidental charges."

2. Reiterated under the "Fees" section: "The following fees and deposits are charged by the property at time of service, check-in, or check-out....
'Deposit: USD 250 per stay."

This hold can always be applied to parking and other expenses incurred by you at the hotel if you choose so otherwise it is released in full upon check-out (Can sometimes take 48-72 hours to reflect on your credit card depending on when your bank actually accepts the release).

Also after speaking with the many Manhattan hotels, it is my understanding that they require a deposit or incidentals hold as well. For instance one well known 5 star hotel chain in Manhattan actually charges $100 and keeps on adding $100 charges to the guest's cards throughout the stay if anything was purchased or charged to the room (in order to constantly stay $100 ahead of the guest). We don't do this as we believe it is an unnecessary financial requirement for our guests. You can see the details written on all hotels' Expedia pages as well if you would like to inquire further.

Again Sasha we are so happy that you enjoyed our hotel and wrote such amazing things about each and every aspect. We come into work as a team every single morning with the goal of delivering on what you have experienced.

Please take me up on my offer to speak in person. You can call the hotel at 718-526-6367 and ask for me (David) or send me an e-mail to manager@condorny.com. And of course you can drop by whenever you'd like to sit down for some coffee and chat.

Our entire team can't wait to see you back here! By the way, be sure to book directly next time for our best rates! :)

Reviewed August 5, 2013

My sister and another friend of ours stayed at The Condor this past weekend for the Beyonce Concert @ Barclays Center. The Hotel was beautiful and the staff was professional (and very cool!!!!). We were upgraded to an awesome corner room "just because"! Great experience...would definitely stay again...and again....Ashton R.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Ashton,

We had a blast with you and all of the other guests from around the country that stayed by us during the duration of the Beyonce concert in our neighborhood at Barclay's Center. Our staff is so happy that they were able to be so helpful and even "cool" as you put it.

We hope to see you back again soon.

Reviewed August 5, 2013

I believe in short and sweet so all I have to say is, I have stayed at this hotel for a total of 18 days in the last 3 months and am always so wowed by the experience each time I visit. Andrew has become quite the Brooklyn navigator for me and I appreciate the rest of the staff's attentiveness to my needs. Gorgeous rooms and an overall very pleasant experience consistently every time. Thank You Condor!
Gio

Room Tip: Its a little off the beaten path from a lot of restaurants and shopping but the cab rides are quick...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Gio,

We are so honored to have you at our hotel so frequently. Thank you for entrusting us with this opportunity. My staff and I are so delighted that you are always "wowed" every time you visit. Andrew and our entire front desk staff are one of the best concierge/front desk staff in the entire NYC area. I mean that. Andrew knows so much about Brooklyn (and Manhattan) in regards to transportation, bars, restaurants, local attractions etc. Future Guests: definitely utilize the knowledge of our front desk staff if you want to really maximize your stay in Brooklyn and New York City.

Keep coming back. We can't wait to see you again! Thanks for booking direct for our best rates.

Reviewed August 5, 2013

Good spot within Brooklyn, if you guys are looking for a comfy place and a gigantic bed.
Very clean and convenient: I booked the room and checked in 2h later without problems.
Great staff as well. Could only recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your valuable feedback. I am glad that you found our beds to be "gigantic" as well as our hotel and rooms to be very clean and convenient. It sounds like the check-in process went very smooth and you enjoyed our staff.

We look forward to your next stay. Make sure to book directly again for our best rates.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

I can't rave enough about how genuinely helpful and friendly the Condor's staff is! Just spent a night at the Condor while sorting out a lease for my daughter, who is moving to Brooklyn. The hotel is very simple, but I would choose this over a glitzier hotel with more amenities any day. The rooms were well appointed and immaculate, beds comfortable, and the front desk staff couldn't have been more accommodating. Not surface polite - the real thing. The cookies and lemonade were a great touch, too! The location is a little out of the way, but they were quick to help out with directions or a taxi if needed. And you can't beat the $19.00 parking across the way. (Note that while the lot is fenced in, the door is open from Friday sunset to Saturday sunset for Shabbat, although they have a guard patrolling during that time). I'll be back in a few weeks and will definitely book with them again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Your honest and detailed feedback is so valuable to us. Thank you for this.

We are so fortunate to have one of the best front desk teams in the entire NYC area. They are genuine, knowledgable and helpful. I always encourage guests to ask them any questions about where to go and what to do during their stay. I am glad that you had this opportunity and noticed how hard they try to be there for our guests 24/7. I am also glad that we were able to play such an important role in the next step of your daughter's life.

We look forward to seeing you in a few weeks.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

Mo at the front desk was beyond accommodating. we were beyond pleased with our room &the hotels service. Only issue is its in the middle of secluded hisidic paradise so make sure you get a cab from front desk and don't scower the streets looking for one.

• Stayed: July 2013
David-CondorHotel, General Manager at The Condor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for leaving such valuable feedback. Mo is so happy that she was able to contribute in such a positive way during your stay here at the Condor Hotel. In regards to getting a cab, it is only allowed for cabs to roam the streets in Manhattan. In Brooklyn we have contracted cab companies that will be in front of the hotel within an average of 3 minutes. These cabs are usually better priced as they know we have zero tolerance for overcharging our guests, while Manhattan cabs are notorious for overcharging.

Make sure to come back soon and book directly for our best rates!