“Rating misleading, poor location” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Condor Hotel

The Condor Hotel
Ranked #6 of 70 Hotels in Brooklyn
England
“Rating misleading, poor location”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2012

This hotel did not merit its 3.5 star rating. Decor was tired, balcony faced a huge brick wall about 6 feet away, so not only was there no view to outside, there was hardly any daylight in the room. The beds were too small, short as well as narrow.

The nearest subway is a good 15 mins walk, to a line which doesn't run at the weekend, and the next one is a good 30 mins away.

The atmosphere was unwelcoming, the breakfast was poor and general standard made this stay poor value for money.

Room Tip: A room on the top floor may be better than ours on 2nd floor.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank MK19Travel
, General Manager at The Condor Hotel, responded to this review, July 6, 2012
The nearest Subway to the Condor Hotel is the G line which is about a 10 minute walk (map: http://goo.gl/maps/Nxkm) and the next closest Subway line is the J which is about a 15 minute walk (map: http://goo.gl/maps/7civ). Both the J and the G have weekend service with complete schedules available at http://mta.info/schedules/.

Thank you for your feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
Weybridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2012

Had a very enjoyable 5 night stay earlier in June. We did the research beforehand, so knew we wouldn't be staying in a hotel in a 'tourist' area. But at no time was that a problem - 2 subway stations are within 15 minutes walk, and wherever you stay in New York, you'll spend a lot of time on public transport to see the city.

The room was excellent, breakfast ideal to start the day & service never short of top class. Around the corner, can't imagine too many better places to have a drink than the Brooklyn Tap House too.

If you want give yourself a bit of extra spending money rather than pay Manhattan prices, and aren't too fussy about mixing with the locals, the Condor would be a fine choice

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Mark H
Mordy S, General Manager at The Condor Hotel, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
Thank you Mark for sharing your experience. We are glad you discovered the Brooklyn Tap House which is fast becoming a favorite among our guests.
London, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2012

The Condor was the final stop on my trip from SF-LA-NYC and when I arrived on Friday night at 02.00am wet,cold and tired, the hotel was a welcome respite. The beds are comfortable, the shower excellent and the wi-fi is a decent speed too. I also liked the continental breakfast which was useful when the next mealtime was a sizeable distance away (figuratively).

I loved the room too, with a balcony and all the amenities one may need during their stay. The only reason I haven't given 5-stars is the location - down to my lack of research beforehand, the Condor is an excellent base to explore Brooklyn from but not for regular trips to Manhattan - after heading down Flushing Avenue, the train route involves taking two trains (G to Court Square and then, the E or M train to transfer onto the Lexington line) to get to Manhattan and the same in reverse, as well as a great deal of walking and stairs. All in all, it took me an average of 45 mins to get into town so bear in mind this is a not a hop,skip and jump away from Manhattan and if your activity is Manhattan centric, consider somewhere in Manhattan. Although I cannot blame the hotel for this, I do feel it is an important point to be noted.

Still, if you are staying in Brooklyn with friends or just want a change of pace from Manhattan, the Condor is worth booking and as it gets more popular, it is likely to become oversubscribed so it is worth visiting this hotel and pass on the tip!

I also need to thank John and Jamie at front desk whose help in navigating Brooklyn was invaluable and friendly as well as being pro-active in a sincere and friendly manner - this really added to the enjoyment of my stay and saved me a lot of time!

All in all, I would recommend the Condor and would stay here again, only this time, I will come with a full itinerary prepared so that I can get the most out of Brooklyn and indeed the city.

1 Thank PunjabiNo1
Thank you PunjabiNo1 for taking the time to write such a detailed review! We pride ourselves on being the perfect hotel for visitors to Brooklyn and we look forward to seeing you again on your next trip.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2012

Best customer service I have ever received from any hotel! The agents made it possible for me to check in really early. They attended to my requests extremely quickly. The most friendliest and informative employees. The rooms were above what expected. I had a rooftop balcony access right from my room. Very impressive! Definitely coming back to stay

• Stayed June 2012
3 Thank Roneishac08
Mordy S, General Manager at The Condor Hotel, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
Thank you Roneishac08 for taking the time to write and share your experience. We pride ourselves on our staff and their willingness to go above and beyond for our guests. I am glad we were quick and informative and we look forward to hosting you again soon.
Jacksonville, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2012

We Stayed here March 2011 and the hotel was new and looked very nice. We were impressed with the setup of the rooms and the decor. It is however in the middle of nowhere! The front desk clerk was WONDERFUL!!! He made our stay at the hotel and trip to NY worthwhile, he helped order delivery (we were close to nothing), gave excellent directions to the subway station (about 15 minutes away), tips on where to go and made sure we were comfortable during our stay. I can't remember his name but he was from Florida (a young guy). The only cons was that the beds were SHORT and the sheets didn't fit and the mattresses on the side of the building. The restaurant wasn't open, only overpriced vending machines.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Seneca L
Thank you Seneca for taking the time to write. We take all feedback and suggestions seriously and appreciate your comments.
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights when visiting friends in Brooklyn. The room was very clean with all the basics and the hotel staff were really friendly and helpful. However, the area around the hotel isn't great (as in, the block or so around it - Brooklyn is fab). My biggest complaint is that the hotel room wasn't well sound proofed - I could here all the activity in the rooms next to mine from cell phone rings to baby cries, and also any traffic in the lobby. While Imy stay was fine, I will probably look for somewhere else next time.

Two other pluses: the hotel uses a very friendly car service and there's a gourmet donut shop called Dough about 5 blocks away on Feanklin - worth the walk!

, General Manager at The Condor Hotel, responded to this review, July 3, 2012
Thank you texas_teacher_abroad for taking the time to write and share your experience. We appreciate and value your feedback. Our neighborhood is constantly evolving so we're glad you found Dough.
Gulf Breeze, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2012

We had an emergency come up where my fiance was stuck in Brooklyn without his wallet and I was all the way in Florida. I called and talked to Andrew and explained the situation and he took over! He was able to help me reserve a room for him from Florida, he sent a car to retrieve my stranded fiance. Once he arrived everything was all arranged for him. Accommodations were neat, clean, beautiful and relaxing. I felt that Andrew made it his personal mission to take care of us and make everything okay. Being southern, I would have never expected such warm hospitality from "a bunch of guys in Brooklyn". We have to return to the area at the end of the summer and have already decided that we will be staying here over and hotel in Manhattan. Thank you so much Andrew!

, General Manager at The Condor Hotel, responded to this review, July 3, 2012
Thank you Heather. We pride ourselves on our staff and their willingness to go above and beyond for our guests. I am glad Andrew was able to make this such a pleasurable experience and we look forward to hosting you again soon.