“Reasonable hotel, let down by location”
Review of The Condor Hotel

The Condor Hotel
Ranked #14 of 72 Hotels in Brooklyn
Reviewed April 3, 2011

I stayed in the Condor Hotel for one night. First the good stuff:

+ Hotel appeared new
+ Rooms were in good condition and clean
+ Free internet
+ The beds were comfortable and linen was crisp and clean
+ Front desk was helpful

And the not so good:

+ The breakfast really was not up to standard, with no dining area (apart from a couple of couches) and consisted of coffee, stale rolls, muffins, apples and cornflakes. I decided to skip it altogether.
+ The location is not great - the area around the hotel was not particularly easy on the eyes and there is nothing of interest around the hotel (that I could ascertain). The subway station is a fair distance from the hotel - I caught a taxi (no yellow cabs in Brooklyn - need to phone for taxi) to the Brooklyn Marriot and that set me back 14 USD with tip. If you intend to return to the hotel in the day, the cost of taxis will mount up and should be considered.
+ Wireless internet connection to my room on the 3rd floor was intermittent but was fine when it worked
+ My room contained 2 single beds which were very comfortable. However, I did find the beds to be quite short (and I am not tall)
+ I was disturbed in the night by people making a noise in the passageway
+ The building next to the hotel had a noisy extraction fan that started up just before 7am and the noise was distracting.

If I were visiting Manhattan again as a tourist I would rather spend a bit more and stay downtown - once the travelling costs are taken into account, there is not much in it anyway.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank letswingit
CondorManager, Manager at The Condor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2011

Thanks for leaving us your opinions on your recent stay. Its reviews like yours that help us understand what we can do to better to serve our guest. Here are some exciting changes we made here at the condor since you left!

Breakfast – We offer a free hot breakfast now, which includes an egg chief to make your eggs anyway you like! Belgian waffles, Fruits, yogurt, and many other delicious items. We also have a new breakfast room filled with personal tables/seating for our guest.

Shuttle Service – We offer a daily shuttle that will drop you off at local train stations (G, L, J, M, and Z) as well as makes stops in Union Square & Times Square.

Wireless – We have completed re-done the wireless assuring that all guest in all rooms have a full signal so they can enjoy our free internet without issues during their stay!

We’re happy you chose the Condor for your recent stay and thank you again for taking the time to leave us a review!

Jamie Price
Front Desk Manager

Reviewed April 1, 2011

This was our first stay at the Condor. My family had 3 rooms for 2 nights and we can’t wait to go back there again. The rooms are spotlessly clean and beautifully decorated. The night and day staff are very friendly and accommodating. The location is superb and just a short ride into Manhattan.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed April 1, 2011

My mom&I just spent 4 nights in the Condor. It was our first time in New York so I’am going to give the review from that perspective.
Pros
-Room was very clean, comfortable, warm and spacious for the 2 of us (we were in a room with 2 single beds)
-Staff were always very friendly and polite
-The free breakfast was very good-cornflakes, coffee, muffins, bagels/bread rolls, apples and oranges
-The surrounding neighbourhood may not be very pretty but it seemed very safe as we only ever saw families around
Cons
-The location – it is a 15 min walk from the nearest subway (which was a killer at the end of the day after walking around NY) &then you need to get 2 or 3 different subways to get to any of the main sights of Manhattan. (The hotel advertised a ‘free shuttle bus to public transport’ but when I asked front desk about it they hadn’t a clue what I was taking about-actually the guy wouldn’t believe me until I showed him where it said it very clearly on a bunch of brochures which were sitting at reception!) Also-although the neighbourhood seemed safe there isn’t anything in the vicinity to go see, no restaurants to eat at or nowhrere even to enjoy a walk around-you have to travel to see anything
-The walls are paper thin-actually there was actually a door between our room and the room next door!! We could literally hear everything the people were saying next door and got woken up 2 out of the 4 nights by people coming in late (they weren’t even loud-the noise just carried that much!)
-The wireless in our room was terrible-could barely get a signal and when I did it kept cutting out.
-Our room was only serviced sporadically. Our beds never once got made and 1 day our bins weren’t even emptied
-The kitchen in our room didn’t include any cutlery, plates or cups which made having a kitchen there in the 1st place a bit defunct!

Overall, it is a very nice hotel but if you are coming to NY to go sightseeing then I wouldn’t recommend it! It is just too far out and not close enough to the subway to make it worth it!

5  Thank Cailin_Thar_Lear11
David-CondorHotel, General Manager at The Condor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

Dear Guest,

I am disappointed that your stay in 2011 did not meet your expectations. A whole lot has changed in Williamsburg and our hotel since then including new management at our hotel (me!). Williamsburg is home to brand new developments and attracts guests from all over the world because of its cultural experience and ease of access to Manhattan. We are just over the bridge from Manhattan and can set you up with various forms of affordable transportation including car service, public transportation or the Zip Car lot across the street from our hotel or even the brand new CitiBike system situated all throughout NYC area. Our hotel is in a very safe family oriented neighborhood. Guests choose our hotel because we are not surrounded by bars. Our guests enjoy a quiet, sublime stay as you can read from our most recent reviews.

We hope you give Williamsburg another shot!

David Margolies

Reviewed March 29, 2011

Everything it's perfect for the hotel room & service, we stayed here for 5 nights and I like their modern interior design, simple and nice:) they also provide fridge & microwave which is very thoughtful... For the price we paid we didn't expect that much & we have stayed in other hotel at the same area as well, if u are driving & you know new York well this is a place u could try it out.. The only point I would like to highlight is the location, not that close to subway but it's within walking distance.. you can't find elevator in every subway station So if u were carrying big luggage u might need someone to help u.. Overall, I still will recommend this hotel.

Reviewed March 28, 2011

This hotel, perhaps typical for NYC, is a fancy awning and web but in reality overpriced and unclean. The bathroom had a lot of hair on the floor, the tv didn't work, the heater was loud, and the location is subpar. The only thing going was a somewhat friendly staff though when we wanted to cancel our reservation upon arrival (after seeing it) he wouldnt accommodate.

11  Thank Solo0058

Dear Guest,

A whole lot has changed since your visit in early 2011. Firstly management has changed and the level of service and quality of stay has dramatically improved. Our hotel is known to be one of the best options in NYC with affordable pricing, spacious rooms and modern, updated chic design. A whole lot has changed in Williamsburg since your stay as well.

Brooklyn is home to many different ethnic and cultural groups including the well known "Hipsters" which is what attracts people from all of the world. Williamsburg in specific is one of the cultural hot-spots of the United States with art galleries, museums, world renown restaurants and bars, theatres, parks, bridgers and many other local attractions. Over the past couple of years Williamsburg has transformed into a premier travel destination. Perhaps things have changed since your visit in 2011. Barclays Center is one example of a gorgeous high-end sporting and events arena that has been constructed in our neighborhood since your visit. Also many luxury condominium developments have been constructed on our street and the neighboring streets in the recent year. Our neighborhood is extremely family friendly and safe and offers great access to Manhattan and all parts of Brooklyn. We have a private car service called New Brooklyn which can take you all over starting from just a few dollars.

We hope you give Williamsburg another shot! We'd love to have you.

David Margolies

Reviewed March 24, 2011

I was excited about this hotel because it's new, clean, and affordable.

However, the walls are EXTREMELY thin. We could hear our neighbors every time they flushed the toilet. We could hear their television and music playing. Our neighbors also started smoking and the smell of the smoke leaked into our room ALL NIGHT LONG, despite us calling the front desk and complaining. We were not given an option to move rooms and nobody even tried to stop the neighbors from smoking, which is explicitly prohibited. There is also a fair amount of street noise.

This hotel is actually located in Bedford-Stuyvesant and it's pretty unsafe. It is right next to an alley-way with multiple dirty, torn up mattresses piled up along with other trash. There was very little open on the weekend that was walking distance.

Also, I arrived early from a red-eye cross-country flight and even though a room was available, they were going to charge me $75 for an early check-in fee.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
21  Thank veeveeg
NYCondor, Manager at The Condor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2011

Dear Vee,

My name is Joel, General Manager at the Condor Hotel.

I'm glad you noticed that the rooms are clean and that the rates are very affordable. We really try hard.

I am very sorry to hear about the noise complaints. There is nothing I can do about the street noise, being that this is New York City (it is actually more quiet compared to other neighborhoods...), but the room noise is something we are addressing with experts in the field.

The neighborhood is very safe, in fact both of the owners and their families live around the corner :)

I'm sorry to hear that you did not get a good night's sleep, we will work on the problems, and Hope you will give us another shot.

All the best,

Joel L.

Reviewed March 15, 2011

I had a wonderful stay at the Condor Hotel in Brooklyn, NY. The staff was friendly and always helpful. The room I stayed in was beautifully decorated and well maintained. Everything looked pristine and new. I highly recommend staying here. It's within walking distance of great eateries, and a cab ride away from shopping and Manhattan. To everyone at the Condor hotel, thanks for the lovely stay!!! :)

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo