“Top Spot on Court Street”
Review of Prime Meats

Prime Meats
Reserve with OpenTable
Prime Meats is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #162 of 5,552 Restaurants in Brooklyn
Cuisines: American, German
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 26, 2014

I lived in Cobble Hill/Carroll Gardens back in the early 90's and loved it. I have been amazed how much more better it has become since then and Prime Meats is a big reason why I love visiting the old neighborhood. I have been here enough times to notice that, regardless of the hostess on duty, she/he is very attentive and welcoming. Dinner here is not gourmet but very satisfying and well done, but I also love it for brunch. The cocktail menu is creative yet traditional. The bartenders tend to be very aware of the craft of mixology and offer nice friendly chatter while at the bar. The staff uniform of blue jeans and suspenders add to the understated quirkiness that is refreshing.

Reviewed January 23, 2014

One of my favorite 'go to' restaurants in my hometown. Whatever your mood or style Prime Meats will satisfy. On a cold winter's day the soups are always wonderful. Like all good cooking - it is about the ingredients and at Prime Meats everything is fresh and seasonal. The ambience is lovely, the bar scene and focus on cocktails a bit too much for me - but many folk seem to enjoy them immensely.

Reviewed December 30, 2013

The first thing you notice is that this place is popular. It took us two tries to succeed in a walk-in and I don't believe they take reservations for less than four. The place is dark and noisy but attractively designed with a basement bistro ambience reminiscent of Lisbon and Roman restaurants.

I ordered the spätzlel and jagerwurst. My g/f who can usually find a half dozen things to interest her was underwhelmed by the menu options and chose grilled octopus and a burger.

The first mistake was ordering the house red, which comes chilled. Okay, it says that on the menu but the place is so dark that reading the menu without a flashlight is difficult. Nevertheless, I loathe cold red wine but, my fault. Still, it was pretty tasteless, which might be why it was chilled. For the second round we went with pinot gris and pinot noir, both of which were pretty nice.

The octopus was very tasty. The spätzlel was good too but not what I expected. In a restaurant with so many German dishes I thought it would be dumpling style. Instead it was a noodle. That would have been okay except the flavor was pretty much buried by the heavy cheese sauce so it tasted like a somewhat soupy linguine alfredo.

My g/f was fairly satisfied with her burger but $18?? Come on, it's basically just a pub grub burger. Nothing fancy. My jagerwurst was very bland but the roasted sauerkraut was great. Overall it was an unimpressive meal at premium prices. The service was good though.

Reviewed December 4, 2013

Not just for Brooklyn hipsters, this is serious food. The steak for two is among the best beef dishes in the City. Apps, salads, deserts are all very, very good. The service is pleasant, helpful, and not intrusive. Good drinks, beers; good bar scene. Well worth the convenient subway ride from Manhattan. Can't wait to go back!

Reviewed October 20, 2013

Not easy to find a place in Brooklyn to have breakfast before 10 a.m., but it is possible here. And quite good, too. Nice people and great selections with possible exception of my granola, yogurt and fruit which was nice looking but surprisingly meager.