“Great experience in Brooklyn”

Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Brooklyn
Ranked #18 of 71 Hotels in Brooklyn
Palm Desert, California
“Great experience in Brooklyn”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I was looking for a comfortable hotel in Brooklyn (near where my son lives) but close enough to Manhattan that we could get in and out easily. The Fairfield Inn delivered.

The Fairfield is a new hotel, and looks very fresh and clean. Room rates include a better than average breakfast in the morning. Both mornings we sat up on the rooftop deck, which includes a good view of lower Manhattan. It was quite pleasant up there.

The staff was great... very friendly, and helpful at check-in. I slept very well in their premium bed.

The hotel is within walking distance of several subway stops (one 4 blocks away, another bigger one is 8 blocks), and that made getting in and out easy.

Room Tip: Higher rooms afford a better view of Manhattan.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Paul M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
  • Finnish first
Reviewed July 28, 2013

We just got back from staying at the Fairfield Marriott and had a great time. The hotel opened two years ago, but still feels very new--everything seemed in tip-top shape. The decor seemed more modern than the typical Fairfield Inn that we have stayed in elsewhere. The desk staff were very helpful and friendly, the free breakfast was quite good, and the gym was better than we had expected: two gym-quality treadmills, an elliptical and a bike, plus free weights and medicine balls. My only small complaint is that the sink in the bathroom is extremely small (perhaps to make more counter space, which I appreciated), so you have to be careful when washing your face not to drip a lot of water on the floor.

BTW, although the immediate surroundings are a bit bleak, take eight minutes to walk over to Fifth Ave and there are a ton of hip coffee shops, bistros and restaurants.

We will be back!

1 Thank Joyce O
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Loved the clean rooms, very accommodating staff, great breakfast fare and especially the rooftop patio with incredible views of lower Manhattan. Great photo op. I have to admit, not being familiar with Brooklyn at all, the appearance of the surrounding blocks (which must be traversed to get to subway stations and restaurants in Park Slope, Carroll Gardens and Cobble Hill made me nervous. Desolate warehouses and trashy storefronts among other questionable places. I was glad to be walking with my grown son. I would not choose to stay there if it was just me and my teenage daughter unless I had my own car (and wanted to drive in NYC - no way!)

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank Jennmom
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 21, 2013

What a lovely hotel! The lobby is extremely attractive and well-decorated; it has a very inviting feeling that makes you feel at home. The staff was super friendly & watched my bag while I went to the restroom located in the lower level. The room was gorgeous with 2 equally comfortable beds, as well as a relaxing shower. I was also given a late check-out, which was greatly appreciated. The hotel charges for parking, but I expected this given the area. It is also a quick 5 minute drive to Barclays Center (depending on traffic). All in all, I had a wonderful stay at this hotel and would highly recommend it to anyone staying in Brooklyn!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank depechegirl02
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 20, 2013

As a Marriott Gold Member, there is a certain expectation from Marriott-owned hotels: a level of customer service. That is the only reason Marriott customers are repeat customers. This hotel puts shame to the Marriott name. Marriott should be embarrassed to be associated with it, and that these Front Desk associates are putting their name on their resume.

First, we were told there were a multitude of cabs at Coney Island, even late at night. When trying to find one, we stopped an NYPD officer, who after laughing at our question (There are very few cabs by Coney Island), kindly helped us find our way back via the Subway. The next day, we scheduled a car service through the hotel after being told "there are absolutely no cabs in Brooklyn" and "they do not stop ever in Brooklyn" from the first Front Desk representative. This service was scheduled to both take us to our location, and pick us back up and bring us back to the hotel. The ride there was fine; but the ride back was a nightmare! The driver stopped by the side of the road, got out, and locked us inside the car. I am from a major metropolitan city and frequent the "seeder" sections of that city. My daughter even worked with inner-city youths, servicing these communities. In other words, we do not scare easily. This neighborhood was the scariest, most dangerous place I have ever been. My daughter climbed into the front seat to let us out, only to have the driver refuse to call another car and then proceed to drive off and leave us by the side of the road. When we called the hotel, the answer at the front desk was "oh, hail a cab. That is not our problem. I guess we can call the car service and we'll call you back." After finding our way back to the hotel, the same front desk attendant, did not apologize, would not take responsibility, and simply did not care. It was "not their problem." There was a later attempt to remedy the situation, but it was simply too little too late.

The next review from this hotel will be "Tourists staying at Fairfield Inn Brooklyn found dead." Do not believe one thing the front desk tells you. Do not use their services- they are not sub-par, they are dangerous! Do not accept their answers: they have no idea what they are talking about for most matters. If you want a realistic view of the area, talk to the room attendants or the service men: they were friendly, wonderful, and gave great directions and advice. Sure this hotel a great value, but it's certainly NOT up to Marriott standard. Stay at the Holiday-Inn Express 400 feet away if you want to be in this neighborhood.

3 Thank June A
Darren P, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Brooklyn, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Dear June A:

Thank you for taking the opportunity to share your recent experience here at the Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott New York Brooklyn. We sincerely appreciate your loyalty to the Marriott family of hotels and to the Fairfield Inn brand. We would also like to recognize you as a GOLD ELITE Marriott Rewards member, we thank you for your participation.

As the General Manager of the Fairfield Inn & Suites, I am personally disappointment that your off-site experience with a non- affiliated car service prevented you and your guests from having an enjoyable experience, which resulted in our team being unable to exceed your expectations. I am very relieved that your horrifying experience ended on a positive note and that you and your guests made it back to our hotel safe and sound. It is my understanding that upon your arrival back at the hotel, our team took quick action to help you recover from this unpleasant experience and offered to purchase dinner for you and your guests, which you graciously accepted.

Our hotel is very proud to be a part of the Marriott family of hotels and we are very excited about being part of this exciting borough. Our nationally recognized and award winning team proudly welcomes each and every guest to our hotel and offers a wealth of information of how to make the most of your Brooklyn experience. As you probably already know, our hotel is very excited to have just recently received the tripadvisor 2013 Certificate of Excellence Award for the 2nd year in a row for the consistent level of award winning service that is experienced by every guest, every day, every stay.

I do regret that your experience was less than enjoyable but I do invite you to take a moment to review all of our reviews on tripadvisor to get a correct understanding of the level of service that is provided by our amazing team. In addition, the cleanliness and amenities that we offer to our guests, makes the Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott New York Brooklyn, the smart choice for travelers visiting the Brooklyn/NYC area.

Thank you again for your email. If your travels bring you back to Brooklyn, our team would welcome the opportunity to serve you and as well as your friends and family. I would also appreciate meeting you and personally thank you for sharing your experience.

Have a great summer!

Darren Piercey
Bray, Wicklow, Ireland
Reviewed July 18, 2013

We are a family of four- two adults, two teenagers - and we were visiting New York for a week, on a tight budget. This hotel cost us around $45 per head bed and breakfast - that's $180 for a room with two double beds. It was a bit squashed, but great value. Staff were friendly, the place was immaculately clean and modern, and breakfast was fine (the coffee could do with being stronger, but that seems to be a universal USA issue...) There were two highlights for me: first, the location - just a 10 minute stroll through a pleasant, safe neighbourhood to a choice of two subway stations, so that the hotel is just half an hour from New York City, door to door.Second, the roof top terrace - at the end of a busy day's touristing, we came home to buy a beer from a local shop, then went upstairs to the roof where we could sit in sunshine, looking straight out to Manhatten. Just magnificent.

Room Tip: The higher the better - close to that wonderful roof terrace
1 Thank Pete W
Buffalo, NY
Reviewed July 17, 2013

No issues at all with this hotel. Relatively new property, great staff, easy parking on and off street, rooms were good size.

I think the negative here is the blocks or two around hotel. there are probably many people who would be wary to walk the three blocks to 5th Ave or Atlantic/Barcley area because of the walk in between.

So if you are thinking of staying here, just know that the immediate area is shaky.

I walked twice to Atlantic and twice to 5th Ave, where there are shops and resturants with no issue, there are many choices and options around.

Fitness area is weak, breakfast is standard Fairfield fare.

All in all - nice place