“We'll stay here again” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #16 of 70 Hotels in Brooklyn
norfolk, va
“We'll stay here again”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2012

We stayed at the Fairfield during a short spring break trip with my two kids and husband. I have to admit, as we approached the hotel in our car, I thought, "whoa, we're going to have to rethink walking to the subway each day." It seemed a little dicey. However, it didn't take me long to discover that the area, while a little stark to my Virginia sensibilities, is just fine. Each day of our trip, we walked the four blocks or so to the subway stop and home, sometimes at night, and at no point did I feel unsafe. And that is with stroller and two kids in tow. Just one or two streets over, there are many shops and restaurants and other families walking around.

The hotel was immaculate, with a modern, pleasant decor and comfortable layout. It's small, but they really make the most of their space. We arrived pretty late the first night and found that we made the mistake of not reserving a parking space. We thought because it said "parking, $25 a night" on the website, that it meant there was parking for everyone. The wonderful staff, however, didn't just say we were SOL. They went out of their way to accomodate us the first night until a space opened up on the 2nd night. (But if you're driving, make sure to make a reservation when you book!) We also were assigned a lower level room (ehem, basement) the first night (which honestly wasn't bad, just a little dark) because they were full, but moved us the next night into a lovely high level room with a great view of the city.

The staff also was very available for directions and advice on how to move through the city. We picked this location because it was just a quick subway ride into the city and because we wanted to explore Brooklyn as well. They set us up with a subway map and helping figuring out which stop to get off when we wanted to explore certain attractions and areas, like when we wanted to have dinner one night in the Dumbo section of town. Felt like they were really looking out for us.

Breakfast was good -- my son was thrilled that they had breakfast sandwiches available! The dining room was full of light and comfortable.

We'll stay here again next time we want a city getaway.

Room Tip: The higher the better for a view of Brooklyn and NYC.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
  • Finnish first
Somerset, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2012

Friends and I stayed in this hotel over the weekend. Everything was wonderful, from the staff to the property. The hotel is located in an area that is going through revitalization but close enough to restaurants and shops in Brooklyn or Manhattan via subway. This hotel in located in an area of Brooklyn that is "authentic" and perfect for hipsters.

I would definately stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Boston121
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2012

We really enjoyed our stay at this hotel last weekend. The staff were wonderful and the room was very nice. The street is iffy but if you walk a few blocks you can find some great restaurants. We ended up changing rooms the second night since we had lots of street noise the first night. If would highly recommend asking for a room on the top floor on the parking lot side of the building which seemed to be less noisy at night.

Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Boston121
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2012

What a find! - a gem of a hotel in Brooklyn - fun architecture, impeccable service, great amenities. I was very impressed by the staff - truly top-notch.
I absolutely loved the decor of the hotel - it reminded me of a hotel that my husband and I recently stayed at in Soho in New York City - I highly recommend this hotel - it was also extremely convenient to the subway - oh, and there was a beautiful
outdoor roof deck with views of the Manhattan sky line!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2012

This was by far one of the most pleasant hotel stays I've ever had. Every single staff member was helpful or had the resources at their disposal to lend assistance. Let me say that again: every single person I spoke to had a smile on their face and was able to help in one manner or another. The rooms were clean and tidy. I went rock climbing across the street at Brooklyn Boulder. The area seemed safe (I was visiting from New Haven (4th most dangerous city in the U.S.) so it seemed safe to me.) Breakfast was great, there was fresh fruit and a waffle maker, juice, muffins, coffee, tea, hard boiled eggs, breakfast sandwiches, and oatmeal. The rooftop patio has a spectacular view. My one gripe would be the ice machines on the 7th and 5th floor were out of order, I didn't check the others. One suggestion I have is for the shower doors. I believe they're mounted wrong, they should open in. This causes the floor to become wet after a shower, possibly posing a safety hazard. All in all, great stay, great people.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2012

PROS: This is a brand new hotel. Staff aimed to please and took care of minor issues quickly. Housekeeping was very good, beds nice and other than space was a nice room. Breakfast was standard Fairfield Inn fare, with a manager's reception (wine & beer) on Wed evening. Union St (R,N) subway station about 4 short blocks away. A few good restaurants on nearby 4th & 5th Ave. CONS: Very small rooms - smallest of the 10 hotels in NYC I have stayed at. Parking is $25/nite and they only have 30 spaces which fill up quickly. This hotel has no laundry or pool. Had to relocate because wifi didn't work in end room. Location is in an iffy transitional neighborhood with auto garages, warehouses. There was lots of graffiti on nearby buildings and broken auto glass on side streets (would not park car on side streets. Safe in daytime - not so sure at night. Overall, I would pay more to stay elsewhere based on size of room and location only. If these are not concerns, then it is a very good hotel.

• Stayed March 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank drichrx
Darren P, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Brooklyn, responded to this review, April 4, 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience regarding your recent stay at the new Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott New York Brooklyn. We appreciate your giving our hotel an excellent rating for our cleanliness and service and your mention of our outstanding Housekeeping department. Yes, our new hotel is located in what is becoming Brooklyn's new transitional "IT" neighborhood and we are very proud to be centered in this bright vibrant urban area that is without a doubt, Brooklyn at it's best. As you mentioned there is an array of exciting restaurants within walking distance as well as beautiful Brownstone line streets with easy access to all the major subway lines and the Long Island Railroad. New developments in the area include the new Barclay's Center, home of the newly named Brooklyn Nets and Whole Foods Supermarket.

On behalf of the entire team here at the Fairfield Inn & Suites, please accept our apologies for any inconvenience you may have experienced with parking. As the hotel is located in a busy urban area, our parking is limited and we are currently exploring options to rectify this problem and minimize any inconvenience to our guests. The hotel was also temporarily experiencing issues with our WIFI due to extremely high occupancies and heavy usage. The hotel has increased it’s bandwidth and purchased some additional equipment which has corrected this problem.
Your loyalty to the Marriott family of hotels and the Fairfield Inn brand is greatly appreciated and we hope that the next time your travel plans call for a return visit to the Brooklyn area that you will again give us the opportunity to serve you.
Thank you again for your feedback and your loyalty to Marriott.

Darren Piercey
Breinigsville, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2012

First time staying in Brooklyn. This hotel was conveniently located near Rt278/BQE and was easy to find. Parking was what you expect in the NYC area, cramped and hard to find, although I did ifnd a small spot in the hotels parking lot. Parking was $25/night and could be had on the street if you were willing to walk a few blocks.

Speaking of walking a few blocks... I met some co-workers on 5th and Union, a 5-6 block walk from the hotel. Nice walk through a slightly industrial area and then a quiet, seemingly working class neighborhood. First time walking Brooklyn and I was impressed with the area in both cleanliness and overall atmosphere.

Back inside the room, nice for the price and location. Front desk was quick and efficient, having me in my room moments after checking in. The king bed in my newly furnished room was comfortable and the LG LCD TV was a good size/distance for nighttime TV viewing. The bathroom was decorated well and not overly cramped.

Overall, a positve stay for a Brooklyn first-timer that will be coming back soon.

Room Tip: Stayed on the 8th floor, away from street noise and had a nice view.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Chris T
Darren P, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Brooklyn, responded to this review, March 10, 2012
Chris T.

Thank you for your recent review of our beautiful new hotel. We appreciate your taking the time to share your experience with others and for your kind words regarding our FD staff and guestrooms. We also appreciate your Excellent Ratings for our Location, Sleep Quality, Rooms, Cleanliness and Service.

Travelers are discovering Brooklyn in record numbers and we are very proud to be a part of the energy and excitement that makes Brooklyn the new choice for travelers visiting the NYC area. Our ultra modern building along with an award winning, nationally recognized staff give us all the reasons in the world to so proud be a part of the redevelopment of this incredible borough.

Thank you again for spreading the word about the best kept secret in Brooklyn and we do sincerely hope that the next time your travels bring you back to the Brooklyn area, that you will again give us the opportunity to serve you.

Darren Piercey