“Sankofa Aban stay - just wonderful”
Review of Sankofa Aban BnB

Sankofa Aban BnB
Ranked #8 of 58 Brooklyn B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 8, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Sankofa for 11 nights in August. All I can say is that Debbie the owner made us part of her family and that thanks to her our stay in NYC was so much more than a holiday, it was special time for us.
The restored Brownstone, the weekend jazz nights, the Brooklyn people, the warm welcome and care given by Debbie - the whole experience was wonderful. The Sankofa is unique and I cannot recommend it enough. If you need somewhere to stay in NYC then you should check out the Sankofa. You may also be lucky enough to meet Eric Lemon but that's another story.

Seriously, love Debbie, love the Sankofa, love Brooklyn - go see for yourself.

Pete & Terry (Wales, UK)

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Sankofa Aban BnB

Reviewed July 3, 2013

Where should I begin-
Oh yeah... upon my arrival Debbie (the owner) came to my rescue!!!
She took on the cab driver who attempted to overcharge me for the ride from the airport-
She was "Not Having It"
I knew right then and there- I was in the Right Place!!!
Sankofa Aban is a magical ... upon entering i felt transported to another Place and Time-
Such Character and History... The Havana Room- Simply Beautiful!

Whatever you do-
Please DO NOT miss Brownstone Jazz
on Friday and Saturday Nights!!!
Oh what a Glorious Experience- I attended both nights...
It's just that GOOD (plus there is a Fish Fry ya'll)
The Caliber of Performers was simply Outstanding-
easily worth five times the price of admission.

What a Gift!!!
Sankofa is an Experience that i will NEVER FORGET-
I felt Safe and Cared for at all times... Money well Spent!!!

Oh- and a Shout Out to Nelson...
Thank you for an Impeccably Clean room
and your Sweet disposition.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Mytyia
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Like previous reviewers I had a wonderful time here and of course much of the enjoyment was due to Debbie's inviting and vivacious personality. It is not your usual B&B and for that it is so much the better. Physically, it is a gorgeous old brownstone house with great charm. Breakfasts were varied and more than sufficient to start the day. It is close to the metro with very fast access to the city and JFK airport. There are lots of little bars and food places nearby so you will never be at a loss for somewhere to eat locally. But stay home for the jazz. What a delightful bonus to be able to listen to local (not so local musicians) play in an intimate cosy environment. This place is a real find.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Paul4444_10
Reviewed April 24, 2013

You can't get a better B&B ever ! Wounderful hostess, Debbie, take great care of you. Genuine atmosphere . Jazz downstairs made our staying at Debbie´s complete !

Visiting my daughter working as an au-pair i Scaresdale outside NY. We did a couple of days in the city before leaving. Found Sankofa earlier online. What a friendly and perfect stay it turned out to be !When I go back I defenitly will stay at Debbie´s.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 9, 2013

We selected this Bed and Breakfast because it was located near our son's residence, but found a comfortable room and a gracious hostess in Debbie. We were kept comfortable and enjoyed delicious food. We were delighted!

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 12, 2012

I had an amazing stay at the Sankofa B&B. Debbie -the owner- will do anything to make you comfortable. Although I arrived on a Sunday night at 11.30 she was there waiting for me. We had long chats in the morning, in the back garden. Going back to the Sankofa in the evening was like going back home.
People in the neighbourhood are friendly : no one ever bothered me.
A useful tip : if you arrive late at JFK and want to take a taxi, insist on having a taxi-driver who knows Brooklyn, if not take a map of the area with you. If you arrive during the day you can take the air-train, then the A train and get off at Nostrand Avenue station, it is then only a five minutes' walk.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank joelle l
Reviewed July 17, 2012

I now have a new home in Brooklyn! Back in April, I was overjoyed when I learned that I won tickets to Oprah's Lifeclass in New York at Radio City Music Hall. Over the years,I have frequented NYC many times before. This time, I decided that I wanted to live like a local. The Sankofa Aban Bed and Breakfast exceeded my expectations.

Live jazz held on Friday night was enchanting.Jam packed with sounds of true musicianship performed by accomplished local artists playing and singing jazz , blues, gospel and swing. Finger snapping, head bobbing laughter, food and drinks simply flowed.I literally felt as if I was transported back to the Renaissance period.

Debbie, the owner is so delightfully charming hostess eager to ensure you have what you need. She tells you to treat her house as your won.You have your own key to your room and front door. You can come and go as you please. Even still, Debbie is very accessible. I don't know what my friend and I would have done without her recommendations. She suggested fabulous underground jazz spots and fine dining restaurants (Thai & French)
that only a true native would be privy to. On a cold rainy day, she insisted that I take her shawl to ensure her ill-dressed Texas Sunbelt guest didn't freeze to death.

Oh. Did I mention, Debbie held Belly Dances classes at the house too!

Breakfast was divine. Each morning presented you with the chance to meet international guests from Australia, Germany and Great Brittan. I cherish each and every conversation. And to think, these connections were made in Brooklyn.

I have already shared my experience with friends, family and strangers. Please do NOT pass up an opportunity to stay at this hidden gem in Brooklyn.

Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo