“Super 8 Brooklyn”

There are newer reviews for Super 8 Brooklyn / Park Slope Hotel

Reviewed May 14, 2013

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I selected this hotel based on Trip Advisor ratings, the fact that the subway was around the corner and that the price was reasonable. I forgot to request two beds when I made the reservation and was given a single. I asked for a double at check-in and the manager said there was one available on the smoking floor. He gave me the key, I went up to the floor and the hall smelled of stale smoke but the room did not, so I took it. All I did was place a towel in front of the door, opened the window and I was all set.

Manager helped me find temporary parking and was most gracious about answering questions.

Room Tip: Don't rule out the possibility of taking a room on the smoking floor.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Evan L
Reviewed May 5, 2013

I booked this hotel for three night months in advance. I made a request in the booking that I be placed in a room that did not face the street on an upper floor. I was booked on the first floor facing the street, not too distant from the breakfast room, where a lot of doors slam in the early morning. I immediately complained upon entering the lobby and asked the assistant to call the manager. In fact, the manager was expecting that I was going to complain, I learned from the asst. But, the manager refused to speak to me until I had the assistant call a second time, even though she was speaking to her two feet in front of me. Finally, the manager agreed to talk and indicated that I would be moved the very next day, and that the computer automatically allocates rooms and that she couldn't accommodate my request, even though it was made far before others had their reservations and requests accommodated. The next morning, I had activities I had to perform all day, and the person at the desk indicated that the room to which I would be moved was not yet ready. After understanding that I could not wait around until afternoon, he said, "so know worries?" I said, of course there are worries; you made a promise and failed to keep it, and then went about the day. I returned to a clean room, but next day, I again left in the morning and upon returning in the evening, the room key did not function (I had to get it re-programmed) and then upon entering the room, I encountered the room as I had left it. . . no maid service at all. I checked out in the morning, indicating again that there was not maid service, and the person behind the desk said, "that is because we were going to change your room yesterday." I indicated that that was all settled the day before, and there should have been a provision that if I was not moved that of course the room should have been made up. They clearly did not live up to their obligations. So, to summarize: wrong room, uncooperative staff, but particularly an uncooperative and uncaring manager, and a stay marred by noise that should have been avoided in what was likely the worst room in the hotel. Do you think I received any discount whatsoever for the inconvenience? Not on your life . . . such a courtesy is not in this hotel's lexicon.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Norman W
Reviewed May 5, 2013

The hotel felt new and bright. The room, with a king bed, was super-clean with not even a nick on the woodwork. Everything worked, but the breakfast area was too small--it looked like a Friday night at a singles' bar. We even had a view of Third Avenue where we could peek into an auto wash. If that isn't your cup of tea, you can climb the hill to the trendy commercial and entertainment streets of Park Slope and risk being mowed down by the helicopter moms with their twin strollers. Or, head in the other direction, toward the bleak, refuse-strewn streets with their forlorn-looking warehouses with less of a risk to your life. The price of $125 is right (when I first stayed here it was $85 a night--$85, did I say that?). If you drive, you can easily park on the street. If you don't, the subway is a block away.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family