“A-okay”

Sleep Inn Brooklyn Downtown
Ranked #34 of 72 Hotels in Brooklyn
Reviewed June 22, 2011

We booked this hotel since we would be leaving late from a friend's birthday party in lower Manhattan and did not want to drive home. We chose this property in particular due to its proximity to the Subway, inexpensive rates, and reviews on Trip Advisor.
The hotel was not hard to find, although my GPS had it on the other side of the intersection. It was helpful to have seen a picture of the hotel's exterior online as it may have been easy to miss otherwise. The small parking lot in front of the hotel appeared full so we parked a block away on 21st Street and walked around the corner. The hotel is in a residential/industrial part of Brooklyn. I felt safe parking my car on the street since people live and work there so I always felt like there was somebody around who was keeping and eye on things.
Check in was a breeze and the clerk directed us to our room which was in the basement near the dining area for the continental breakfast. I was a little skeptical of having a basement room given that I was not aware that it could be a possibility when I made the reservation and because of my allergies. However, the room was not completely underground and there was no musty odor, humidity problem, evidence of flooding, or any other difficulties one might encounter with a basement.
The room was very clean and was well designed for the most part. A small hallway with the bathroom on the left leads to a desk at the foot of the bed that included a mini-fridge, coffee maker, and plenty of drawers. An armoire stood to the left and a flat-screen TV was mounted above the desk. The king bed was against the left-hand wall with decent-sized night tables on both sides.
The very clean bathroom was a good size with a granite countertop by the sink and a large shower (no tub). The countertop lacked a soap dish and place to put your toothbrush. The shower had a curtain but was otherwise somewhat of an open design so the bathroom got a little wet as a result of showering. The water in the shower was hot and had good pressure. Although there were your typical hand towels, wash cloths and bath mat, the two bath towels were on the thin side. I suppose I could have asked for more.
The room had a giant window A/C which almost always troubles me at hotel rooms. Surprisingly, it wasn't too loud or disruptive and seemed to function well. It did take up most of the window space so there were only two little window panels providing natural light during the day. I slept decently, and my wife slept a little better. The mattress was so-so, and the pillows, while numerous, were not particularly supportive. My wife brings her own Temperpedic pillow and it was definitely needed for this stay. We did not hear noise from our next door neighbors, however we could hear the maid getting her supplies and pushing her cart in the morning.
We did not try the continental breakfast, but it appeared as though there was coffee, tea, juice, and water out of a cooler available all day. There was also a slice toaster and microwave for guest use. There were vending machines with soda, water, and snacks at reasonable prices. The dining room also had a desktop computer and printer if you were unable to take advantage of the free wifi.
Although I was not blown away by this hotel, it was clean, there were no problems with my reservation, and the price is great for NYC. It is convienent enough if you were spending time in lower Manhattan or Brooklyn. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: The AAA rate was the best.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank DSXM

Reviewed May 28, 2011

I stayed here as part of a family holiday, and it was exactly what we were looking for - close to subway (and a short ride to Manhattan), comfortable beds, included breakfast and free wifi, at a very reasonable price.
As other people have said, the rooms are fairly small (we had 3 people in a double, and it was squishy) but we weren't spending much time in the room anyway, so it didn't really trouble us.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank deerpie
Reviewed May 13, 2011

When we arrived, we discovered that the "ample free parking" consists of exactly 8 spaces in front of the hotel. Since the same cars were in the spaces for the entire duration of our stay, I suspect these cars belonged to the hotel staff. For the guests, the free parking consists of either parking on the street (watch out for the street sweepers!), or around the corner under the Interstate. It's not the greatest neighborhood -- I prayed that my car would still be there and intact in the morning. It was -- but covered in bird poop.
As far as the hotel itself: when we arrived in our room, it was dirty! Sure, the beds were made (but rumpled on top -- eew), but the half-eaten McDonalds meal and cookies on the table must have been overlooked. What I'm trying to saw is, the room was filthy. The front desk clerk was nice enough to put us in another room, but it was a pretty noisy night for us.
If you're planning a driving trip to NYC, look for another place to stay. Maybe over in NJ, or just suck it up and pay more to get a nice place in Manhattan. But this place, to be one of the more expensive hotels on our trip, was a big disappointment!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank CDF71
Reviewed April 24, 2011

This is possibly the smallest hotel room I have ever stayed in. It was clean and nice in every other way, but it was tiny. We had a room with two double beds and there were three of us. There simply wasn't any room to walk, stand, or put our luggage. It would probably be fine for one or two people, but not for three or four. The beds were right up against the side walls, so one person had to climb over the top of the other to get in or out of bed. Apart from that, the room was great. There is a freeway very close which did create quite a bit of noise, so if I stayed again I would request a room at the front of the building, which is further away from the freeway. But despite this noise, it was enough of a constant low hum to not really disturb us at night. The free breakfast was also possibly the smallest choice I have ever had at a hotel breakfast, but the price of the hotel was pretty good so I can't really complain. If all you need is a clean room with a comfy bed to lay your head at night, then this hotel is a good choice.

• Stayed: April 2011
2  Thank aussiehughes
Reviewed April 23, 2011

The hotel is only 3 blocks way from the subway. The continental breakfast was quite good. The neighborhood looks like a slum but the people were friendly. Don't let the look of the neigborhood scare you away. I would stay here again. It was convenient, affordable and clean.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed March 27, 2011

Was there last weekend as we needed to stay near a relatives place. Was pleasantly surprised that it was a new hotel..as most things in Brooklyn are old. New beds, furnishings, TV in the room are top notch. As others have mentioned the room is small..not much room to move or walk around, but typical NYC. fine for 2 people or a couple with a small child.

Only 8 parking spots, but I managed to snag spots both nights I was there. A block and a half away from the 4th street subway which was convenient. One train took us all the way up to Madison Square Garden to see a hockey game. Under 100 bucks a night.....worked well for me .

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank lart99
Reviewed March 20, 2011

We were a little reluctant to book this hotel since it was right in the heart of Brooklyn and we weren't familiar with the area. Friends told us it wasn't the best area. We were very, very pleasantly surprised. Previous reviewers had recommended based on cleanliness and convenience and value and they were so right. The staff was extremely helpful and courteous, the housekeeping staff went above and beyond to provide excellent service and the available parking "under the bridge" was convenient, safe, and half a block away (important since there are only 8 fcfs spaces and street parking, while available, could be a hassle since the cleaning crews patrol daily). Our only somewhat negative comment would be concerning the size of the room. We booked a room with two double beds and there was virtually no room to do much of anything except sit on the bed or at the desk. Also, very little space for clothes/suitcases. We were only 2 people but went for a week so had a lot of luggage. HOWEVER, this was a great experience with a super clean, new, convenient hotel in the heart of the city.

• Stayed: March 2011