“good value”

Ranked #25 of 72 Hotels in Brooklyn
Niagara Falls, New York
“good value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2010

good value for the price, excellent service and great location, easily accessible and access to the local area

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Nashville, Tennessee
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2010

To qualify my review I am Platinum level in the Starwood Preferred Guest program. I have stayed at Sheratons 63 nights this year and at this particular hotel 11 nights. This hotel is the absolute worst Sheraton that I have had the displeasure of staying at. I have became so fed up with them that I know stay at the Marriott a few blocks away rather endure this hotel again. The front desk staff whileusually friendly are cluesless. They have to call a supervisor if they run into the slightest issue. On several occasions my reservation has been screwed up either at check in or check out.. The Club room is a joke. Usually understocked and in the morning the they have a "checker" who asks for your room number when you enter and checks against a log. Seriously? If I opened the door with my key, I am probably allowed to be there. Even if I wasn't, it is only cold oatmeal. Her time would be way better spent making sure the room was stocked. Again the worst Club room that I have seen. They need to take notes from the Marriot or go to midtown and review the Sheraton New York Towers. The elevator service in this htel is ridiculus. Usually 1 or more are not working. (This is a brand new hotel!) I even got stuck in one of their elevators! I pushed the call button and believe it or not had to give the address of the hotel. I finally had to call the front desk whose response was "oh you are stuck in an elevator!" The maintenance man finally let me out. Too stupid of an experience to make up! The rooms are small but for all the hassle you are better off going to the Marriott or into Manhatten. This hotel needs a complete turnaround in management. Unless that happens, I will not be staying with them again nor will anyone on my team.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank freqtravel5919
MarieKupfer, General Manager at Sheraton Brooklyn New York Hotel, responded to this review, October 12, 2010
Thanks so much for your thoughts on a recent stay at the Brooklyn Sheraton. Constructive suggestions of this nature assist us in improving our guest services and help us insure every stay is a perfect stay. Having been the General Manager for the past few weeks, I do want to thank you for your loyalty as a Platinum member and would welcome an opportunity to speak with you personally so I may hear about every detail of your stay.

My apologies that you were trapped in the elevator. Though not an uncommon occurence in any hotel, regrettably it does happen. Our club level experience and staff empowerment continues to improve each and every day as we have now been officially open 4 full months. You'll be happy to know I have reached out to colleagues at the Sheraton New York Towers for suggestions on improving the Club Level experience. Clearly, we want this to be a very special experience for our most valueed travellers.

The Sheraton Brooklyn is a gorgeous facility and one I hope to be managing for many years to come. I look forward being your host in the near future.

Marie J. Kupfer, CHA
Stirling, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2010

After reading previous reviews about this hotel and the area we were at least arriving with our eyes open (they weren't that good). We received the exact opposite of previous reviews. The hotel is now finished and all beautifully new and gleaming, even the swimming pool was open, not the biggest or the best we've seen but it was there. As it turned out we were too busy to use it anyway. The staff were all very smiley and helpful. We didn't dine at the hotel or use any of the facilities really, we used it as a very nice base for tooing and frowing into Manhattan. Our room was excellent with a huge kingsize bed and a 42" tv, lovely bathroom just perfect for our needs. Not the biggest room we've had but adequate. If i went back to visit New York i would most definitely stay in this hotel because by travelling on the subways (short journey) you get to experience New York at its best and if you've never travelled on the New York subway - do!! They're exactly like in the film Ghost - amazing! I could hardly take the smile of my face for the whole trip. We stayed Thursday to Monday and paid £100 pp per night + taxes - great bargain. If staying there book the airport transfer bus ($25 return) into manhattan to Bryant Park (stops at the subway entrance for Brooklyn) subway cost $2.25 each way. What a brilliant experience - can't wait to do it again!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Miami
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2010

i would stay there again and again. Staff is really nice and helpful

• Stayed October 2010
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2010

Just returned from a 2 night stay at this hotel. The staff was friendly, helpful, knowledgeable and polite. The beds were super comfortable and the room, though small, very well furnished. The location is easy for getting into and out of Manhattan---although we did not because it was rainy and cold. Instead we found a great deli---Junior's---nearby for breakfast/lunch and had a surprisingly delicious dinner at the hotel restaurant, The Grubstake Bar. The rest of the day we used the free computers in the lobby and read in our room---which had a great view of the Statue of Liberty---a bonus!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2010

My teenage son and I spent 9 nights at this hotel. We loved it. Our room was neat and clean, bathroom immaculate and beds that were heavenly to sleep on. We got a great deal through Expedia.com and felt that we definitely got value for money.

Reception staff were always friendly, greeting us every time we passed reception, no matter what time of day and helpful in answering our questions for directions and assistance. We never encountered any rudeness, quite the contrary.

Free wi-fi in the lobby was a great feature that we utilised each day. Restaurant served very enjoyable breakfasts that were reasonably priced and the staff were very attentive. Didn't eat any other meals there so can't comment on them.

The rooms, although not very large were more than adequate and much larger than many NYC hotels that charge a lot more. The location of the hotel is OK. Very close to the subway but there is a lot of construction going on, so walkways can be detoured. Rooms, however were very quiet. We were able to sleep in when we wanted and I am a very light sleeper! Very easy trip to NYC -roughly 8 stops on the number 3 subway to Times Square (about 20 mins). One negative about the hotel location is the lack of street signs around the hotel. If you are trying to find the hotel after being out all day, it can become confusing, so remember landmarks/shops, rather than street names. Also, another hint - if catching the subway-don't get off at the Fulton St subway station thinking that it is near Fulton St in Brooklyn, near the hotel!! My son and I made this mistake and were walking around in the dark for about an hour trying to find the hotel, only to eventually find out that we hadn't even left Manhattan -there is a Fulton St there as well -we hadn't even crossed over to Brooklyn yet. The Hoyt St stop is the closest stop to the hotel.

This hotel is great for people who want a good standard of hotel that is in easy access to NYC without the cost of NYC hotels. They also have a midday checkout which is very handy, especially for people who might want to sleep in on the last day of their stay. Great value for money. Thank you for making our trip a great one!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Prague, Czech Republic
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2010

Well, we really enjoyed our stay at the Brooklyn Sheraton. The staff was friendly, the hotel is new and clean and it is very well positioned for a NY stay - close to Brooklyn shopping and several metro stops to get whisked into Manhattan.
The only drawback we found was that the area of Brooklyn where the hotel is located is undergoing significant reconstruction...and the jack-hammers were ceaseless.
We were also charged something for a meal we never ate...but they said they'd correct the charge so we'll hope that works out OK.
Overall a very nice hotel and we recommend it.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple