“NYC best and finest”

Sheraton Brooklyn New York Hotel
Ranked #24 of 75 Hotels in Brooklyn
Reviewed October 29, 2012

THANK YOU Sheraton Brooklyn. This is truly a place to stay if you want to avoid the crowd of downtown NYC, your still accessable to transportation such as buses and the subway, shops, retail, restaurants and cafe's in this area of brooklyn.

The beds here are the best, so comfortable, i should of asked them the brand and where i could buy them from lol
I also have worked in the hotel industry and it is always good to see staff that are friendly, polite, professional, and always willing to assist, from another brand hotel. At check in the the lady receptionist couldn't find my reservation but the other night employee reno or leno, sorry i forgot his name but its something like that was very helpful and in the end he found reservation, please thank him for me.

It is also good to see and thank there hotel GM for being out and about and engaging with her guests, as not many GM's out there wouldn't do that with there customers. It goes to show the management of this hotel care about there guests.

I will be back for sure in the near future.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
MarieKupfer, General Manager at Sheraton Brooklyn New York Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2012

Now were talking....thank you so much for your gracious comments. Be sure to come and visit us soon

Marie Kupfer

Write a ReviewReviews (1,218)

Reviewed October 28, 2012

We stayed here recently for 3 nights while visiting family who live close by. The staff at the front desk were very helpful, offering us free wifi since the hotel was not very busy. The rooms are freshly decorated (the hotel is fairly new), somewhat small, but, hey, you're in New York. We have stayed at the New York Marriott Brooklyn Bridge before and liked it but the Sheraton was almost $100 cheaper. Still, with taxes, we were shelling out around $300 a night. A bit pricey.
The area is not as sketchy as most people have mentioned. if you are not used to an urban area then you may be a bit uncomfortable. My daughter and I walked a few blocks at night with no issues. There is a lot of construction going on nearby so I imagine the area will continue to build up and continue to improve.
Don't bother springing for the club level. The complimentary continental breakfast was very limited. There were also supposed to be beverages available but I only saw a few soda options, no bottled water. There was a complimentary bottled water in your room however which was nice.
Two complaints: Maybe it's just me, but when I am spending $300 per night, I would really appreciate real glasses in the room instead of plastic ones. C'mon Sheraton, you can do better. The other problem with the hotel is the excruciatingly slow elevators. There are 4 of them but they are extremely small and during the weekend we had to wait sometimes 10 minutes for one. Sometimes we took the stairs. But even the stairwells were confusing and we needed help from an employee to find the very small main lobby.
Would I stay again? Yes, as it is a better value than the Marriott and the rooms were nice and clean. But, someone please take a look at the elevator issue.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Thanks for mentioning all the attributes of the Sheraton and what a great value it is as compared to other full service hotels in the Brooklyn area. I will do some checking on the elevator speed. Perhaps there is an opportunity to increase the speed.

Reviewed October 24, 2012

As I was planning for my wedding in Brooklyn, I wanted to make sure my fiancé, her mother, and best friend/maid of honor could have a pleasant, relaxing evening and morning before the wedding and be able to get ready for the wedding in comfort. I decided to splurge a little bit and reserve a suite at the Sheraton Brooklyn. It was pricey, but I figured this was a once in a lifetime thing and I wanted it to be absolutely perfect.

Months before the wedding, I went onto Sheraton.com and reserved a suite. The email confirmation said very clearly:

Room Description
* Sweet Sleeper Bed
* Combined Shower/bath
* Separate Living Room

Your room is guaranteed with a(n) AMEX / OPTIMA card

I made sure to get to the Sheraton early the day before our wedding to check-in. I pulled my car to the curb and was greeted by an attendant. I told him I was checking in, but he warned me that if I left the car at the curb too long I'd get a ticket. That struck me as an odd thing to say to a guest checking in to your hotel.

I rushed to the front desk and gave my name to the young man there. He typed a few things in his computer and then said to me matter-of-factly that they had no suites available, but that he'd be happy to put me into a room with two double beds, and that he'd "only charge me the rate for the room and not for the suite".

My jaw dropped. What did he just say?

He then said something about there being a woman in my suite who decided she didn't want to check out. I was dumbfounded. I showed him the part of the reservation that said that my room was guaranteed. He went back to the manager for what seemed like an eternity. Finally, he came back and told me again that there were no suites available, but offered me my choice of compensation: a bottle of champagne, free Wifi, or Starwoods Points.

Again, I was dumbfounded. They were on the verge of ruining the night before the more important day of my life, and a $7 bottle of champagne would make up for it?

I took a deep breath and went up to check the room. Problem is, there was a party going on at the roof and they actually shut down all their elevators to guests so they could transport party guests to the roof. So I stood waiting 10 minutes for the elevator.

I finally got to the room. It was like a closet. Two double beds pushed right next to each other, a tiny desk, and a tiny, old-looking bathroom. I was furious. I went to the elevator and, you guessed it, waited 15 minutes before I decided to take ten flights of stairs down.

I asked to talk to the manager, but she was too busy for me. The guys at the desk wrote down my cell number so she could call me back that night. I waited all night for her to call and she never did.

So I had no choice but to give Lisa the dingy, cramped room. Thankfully, even though my car was at the curb for an hour by now I didn't get a ticket.

I asked her on our wedding day how her stay was. She told me the HVAC unit in her room was broken, so the room was freezing cold all night. They sent engineers to the room at all hours of the night to try to fix it but they couldn't. Not exactly a very relaxing way to spend the night before your wedding. To their credit, the staff was very professional and tried hard to make the best of a bad situation. So I do not fault them. I completely fault the management of this hotel.

Then, what should have been a wonderful morning was spent navigating the cramped space while trying to accommodate the makeup artist and photographers. Everyone was very understanding and didn't blame me, but I still felt horrible. I'd planned everything so carefully but thanks to the Sheraton I felt like a heel.

To add insult to insult, we never even received the bottle of champagne in her room that was promised.

I thought that was the end of the nightmare. But a few days later I checked my credit card bill and I saw a charge for $661.70. That's right, the FULL price of the suite.

After days of email back and forth, the Sheraton finally offered me a canned apology and refunded me. To be honest, after all they put us through I was expecting a little something else to make up for all they did (refunding the price of the room was akin to a restaurant giving me food poisoning and then saying "we're giving your meal to you for free"). But that never came.

I have stayed in many hotels, but I have never seen one so completely mismanaged as this one. If you're planning a wedding or any other important function, I would think twice before entrusting it with the Sheraton Brooklyn.

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Steve L
MarieKupfer, General Manager at Sheraton Brooklyn New York Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 27, 2012

Steve

Without a doubt this was a terribly disappointing experience for you and an embarrassing one for us. I will again extend my apologies to you via email and would like to one day do so in person.

I am also extending a complimentary revisit to our hotel for one night. I would hope you would take us up on this offer so we might extend the genuine hospitality that truly is the norm at the Sheraton

Again my apologies and we look forward to being your host one day soon.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

Stayed two nights with my wife and kids and it was an excellent hotel. A little hard to find if driving by car but it is close to subway lines and you can be in midtown pretty quickly. Staff was amazing from start to finish. While the rooms are a little small I chalked this up to being in the city. I would definitely return!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
MarieKupfer, General Manager at Sheraton Brooklyn New York Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2012

How very kind of you to recognize our staff. It was our pleasure to make you and your family feel right at home and we look forward to being your host in the near future.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

I have stayed here many of times and needless to say, I never experienced such nonsense. Upon check in my bestfriend and I were told that we would be charged for incidental fees (held until departure) which was no problem however, they never had a room available for us. We waited for about 45 minutes for one to be avilable and the current time was 4pm...Moving forward, EVERYDAY were were charged 150.00 for incidental fees which was only supposed to be held once and released during departure. So every morning I was looking into my account and surly enouch I was charged. The 5 days we were there was like dejavu. Wake up, look at account that's been charged, talk to manager. We were told that it would stop daily. IT DIDNT! they said it was a glich was in the system. I cancled my card, thats the only way it stopped.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank MissFrequentFlyer

Just a quick note of apology for the credit card confusion. We are continually striving to exceed guest expectations and clearly fell short during your visit.

We do look forward to an opportunity to be your host again. Kindly contact my office directly when your travels bring you back to the Brooklyn area. I'd like to personally oversee your visit..

Reviewed October 22, 2012

This is one of the cleanest, most comfortable and friendly hotels I have ever stayed in Although it is not in central New York, it takes no longer than 10 minutes on the Subway to reach downtown Manhatten. The bes was amazing, HUGE and so comfortable. The shower was also a generous size. Room very well equipped. The staff were very friendly and knowledgeable. I asked for travel information on a number of occasions and they were more than happy to find details for me.
The restaurant is a bit on the pricey side, but most hotels are. There are many places nearby offering good quality food, and after all this is New York, so eating out should be part of the experience.
I would use this hotel again without hesitation.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Rainy130

Thanks so much for your great review and of course for being Starwood loyal

Be sure to come back and visit soon

Reviewed October 22, 2012

Stayed here this past weekend on the "birthday year" special where the 2nd night's price is the year you are born - so, a pretty good deal. The good things about this hotel are the comfy bed and comforters, and the proximity to the Hoyt Ave Subway stop just a couple of blocks away. Unfortunately, the bad things are more numerous. First, the neighborhood is not as great as Brooklyn Heights, and there are not many decent places to eat in the immediate area around the hotel, which is surprisingly desolate after dark. There is no complimentary coffee in the morning, but there is a coffee maker in the room. Wireless internet is not included unless you are sitting in the lobby, which at all hours of the day and night, has 5 (FIVE!) TVs blasting. The room had 2 bottles of water, one of which has a tag that says "FREE" and the other costs $3.50. Each day I took the one that said "FREE". Nevertheless I was charged. Now who in their right mind would pay $3.50 for a bottle of filtered water? Obviously someone desperate, but not me. Now the most egregious thing: Since it was my birthday over the weekend, my wife sent me an Edible Arrangement thing with a balloon, to be delivered on Saturday. She asked me Saturday night if I got anything, which I didn't, so I asked the front desk, where the very nice lady did a thorough search twice but found nothing, and there was no entry on their delivery log. Today, it turns out that the Edible Arrangement place actually did deliver it to the hotel, where someone actually signed my name! I called today to talk to the manager, but of course he or she "isn't available", and while the person on the phone put me on hold to find out what to do (after crediting my $3.50), she hung up on me. No call back either. So, all in all, I guess you get what you pay for, but I'd rather spend more to stay somewhere else next time.

1  Thank ajlcdl

Thank you for your comments regarding the Sheraton Brooklyn and for mentioning what a great deal the birth year rate plan is. Would you be so kind to contact my office directly so I might assist in tracking down the edible arrangement

Thanks again for your comments and we look forward to being your host in the near future