“Doesn't quite understand what the word "guarantee" means”

Sheraton Brooklyn New York Hotel
Ranked #27 of 72 Hotels in Brooklyn
Great Neck, NY
“Doesn't quite understand what the word "guarantee" means”
Reviewed October 24, 2012

As I was planning for my wedding in Brooklyn, I wanted to make sure my fiancé, her mother, and best friend/maid of honor could have a pleasant, relaxing evening and morning before the wedding and be able to get ready for the wedding in comfort. I decided to splurge a little bit and reserve a suite at the Sheraton Brooklyn. It was pricey, but I figured this was a once in a lifetime thing and I wanted it to be absolutely perfect.

Months before the wedding, I went onto Sheraton.com and reserved a suite. The email confirmation said very clearly:

Room Description
* Sweet Sleeper Bed
* Combined Shower/bath
* Separate Living Room

Your room is guaranteed with a(n) AMEX / OPTIMA card

I made sure to get to the Sheraton early the day before our wedding to check-in. I pulled my car to the curb and was greeted by an attendant. I told him I was checking in, but he warned me that if I left the car at the curb too long I'd get a ticket. That struck me as an odd thing to say to a guest checking in to your hotel.

I rushed to the front desk and gave my name to the young man there. He typed a few things in his computer and then said to me matter-of-factly that they had no suites available, but that he'd be happy to put me into a room with two double beds, and that he'd "only charge me the rate for the room and not for the suite".

My jaw dropped. What did he just say?

He then said something about there being a woman in my suite who decided she didn't want to check out. I was dumbfounded. I showed him the part of the reservation that said that my room was guaranteed. He went back to the manager for what seemed like an eternity. Finally, he came back and told me again that there were no suites available, but offered me my choice of compensation: a bottle of champagne, free Wifi, or Starwoods Points.

Again, I was dumbfounded. They were on the verge of ruining the night before the more important day of my life, and a $7 bottle of champagne would make up for it?

I took a deep breath and went up to check the room. Problem is, there was a party going on at the roof and they actually shut down all their elevators to guests so they could transport party guests to the roof. So I stood waiting 10 minutes for the elevator.

I finally got to the room. It was like a closet. Two double beds pushed right next to each other, a tiny desk, and a tiny, old-looking bathroom. I was furious. I went to the elevator and, you guessed it, waited 15 minutes before I decided to take ten flights of stairs down.

I asked to talk to the manager, but she was too busy for me. The guys at the desk wrote down my cell number so she could call me back that night. I waited all night for her to call and she never did.

So I had no choice but to give Lisa the dingy, cramped room. Thankfully, even though my car was at the curb for an hour by now I didn't get a ticket.

I asked her on our wedding day how her stay was. She told me the HVAC unit in her room was broken, so the room was freezing cold all night. They sent engineers to the room at all hours of the night to try to fix it but they couldn't. Not exactly a very relaxing way to spend the night before your wedding. To their credit, the staff was very professional and tried hard to make the best of a bad situation. So I do not fault them. I completely fault the management of this hotel.

Then, what should have been a wonderful morning was spent navigating the cramped space while trying to accommodate the makeup artist and photographers. Everyone was very understanding and didn't blame me, but I still felt horrible. I'd planned everything so carefully but thanks to the Sheraton I felt like a heel.

To add insult to insult, we never even received the bottle of champagne in her room that was promised.

I thought that was the end of the nightmare. But a few days later I checked my credit card bill and I saw a charge for $661.70. That's right, the FULL price of the suite.

After days of email back and forth, the Sheraton finally offered me a canned apology and refunded me. To be honest, after all they put us through I was expecting a little something else to make up for all they did (refunding the price of the room was akin to a restaurant giving me food poisoning and then saying "we're giving your meal to you for free"). But that never came.

I have stayed in many hotels, but I have never seen one so completely mismanaged as this one. If you're planning a wedding or any other important function, I would think twice before entrusting it with the Sheraton Brooklyn.

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Steve L
MarieKupfer, General Manager at Sheraton Brooklyn New York Hotel, responded to this review, October 27, 2012
Steve

Without a doubt this was a terribly disappointing experience for you and an embarrassing one for us. I will again extend my apologies to you via email and would like to one day do so in person.

I am also extending a complimentary revisit to our hotel for one night. I would hope you would take us up on this offer so we might extend the genuine hospitality that truly is the norm at the Sheraton

Again my apologies and we look forward to being your host one day soon.

Marie Kupfer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Tampa
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Stayed two nights with my wife and kids and it was an excellent hotel. A little hard to find if driving by car but it is close to subway lines and you can be in midtown pretty quickly. Staff was amazing from start to finish. While the rooms are a little small I chalked this up to being in the city. I would definitely return!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
MarieKupfer, General Manager at Sheraton Brooklyn New York Hotel, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
How very kind of you to recognize our staff. It was our pleasure to make you and your family feel right at home and we look forward to being your host in the near future.

New York City, New York
Reviewed October 23, 2012

I have stayed here many of times and needless to say, I never experienced such nonsense. Upon check in my bestfriend and I were told that we would be charged for incidental fees (held until departure) which was no problem however, they never had a room available for us. We waited for about 45 minutes for one to be avilable and the current time was 4pm...Moving forward, EVERYDAY were were charged 150.00 for incidental fees which was only supposed to be held once and released during departure. So every morning I was looking into my account and surly enouch I was charged. The 5 days we were there was like dejavu. Wake up, look at account that's been charged, talk to manager. We were told that it would stop daily. IT DIDNT! they said it was a glich was in the system. I cancled my card, thats the only way it stopped.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank MissFrequentFlyer
Just a quick note of apology for the credit card confusion. We are continually striving to exceed guest expectations and clearly fell short during your visit.

We do look forward to an opportunity to be your host again. Kindly contact my office directly when your travels bring you back to the Brooklyn area. I'd like to personally oversee your visit..

England
Reviewed October 22, 2012

This is one of the cleanest, most comfortable and friendly hotels I have ever stayed in Although it is not in central New York, it takes no longer than 10 minutes on the Subway to reach downtown Manhatten. The bes was amazing, HUGE and so comfortable. The shower was also a generous size. Room very well equipped. The staff were very friendly and knowledgeable. I asked for travel information on a number of occasions and they were more than happy to find details for me.
The restaurant is a bit on the pricey side, but most hotels are. There are many places nearby offering good quality food, and after all this is New York, so eating out should be part of the experience.
I would use this hotel again without hesitation.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Rainy130
Thanks so much for your great review and of course for being Starwood loyal

Be sure to come back and visit soon

Philadlephia
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Stayed here this past weekend on the "birthday year" special where the 2nd night's price is the year you are born - so, a pretty good deal. The good things about this hotel are the comfy bed and comforters, and the proximity to the Hoyt Ave Subway stop just a couple of blocks away. Unfortunately, the bad things are more numerous. First, the neighborhood is not as great as Brooklyn Heights, and there are not many decent places to eat in the immediate area around the hotel, which is surprisingly desolate after dark. There is no complimentary coffee in the morning, but there is a coffee maker in the room. Wireless internet is not included unless you are sitting in the lobby, which at all hours of the day and night, has 5 (FIVE!) TVs blasting. The room had 2 bottles of water, one of which has a tag that says "FREE" and the other costs $3.50. Each day I took the one that said "FREE". Nevertheless I was charged. Now who in their right mind would pay $3.50 for a bottle of filtered water? Obviously someone desperate, but not me. Now the most egregious thing: Since it was my birthday over the weekend, my wife sent me an Edible Arrangement thing with a balloon, to be delivered on Saturday. She asked me Saturday night if I got anything, which I didn't, so I asked the front desk, where the very nice lady did a thorough search twice but found nothing, and there was no entry on their delivery log. Today, it turns out that the Edible Arrangement place actually did deliver it to the hotel, where someone actually signed my name! I called today to talk to the manager, but of course he or she "isn't available", and while the person on the phone put me on hold to find out what to do (after crediting my $3.50), she hung up on me. No call back either. So, all in all, I guess you get what you pay for, but I'd rather spend more to stay somewhere else next time.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank ajlcdl
Thank you for your comments regarding the Sheraton Brooklyn and for mentioning what a great deal the birth year rate plan is. Would you be so kind to contact my office directly so I might assist in tracking down the edible arrangement

Thanks again for your comments and we look forward to being your host in the near future

Marie Kupfer

Travelers are raving about these Brooklyn hotels

Irvine, California
Reviewed October 22, 2012

First let me tell you we were on a trip to New York for vacation and then setting off on a cruise from the Brooklyn Cruise terminal. That was our primary reason for staying in Brooklyn. The other reason was that I want to photograph the Manhattan City lights at sunrise from the Fulton Ferry park side of the river to include the Brooklyn Bridge.

Arrival at the hotel was accomplished by hiring a car from the airport as recommended on the Trip Advisor forum. Fare was $40. He had not problem finding the hotel as others have written about.

Check in was prompt. The front desk area is small for what I expected at a Sheraton hotel. Two separate counter areas, each with one clerk. This is a very busy hotel and seemed to have persons who stayed one night and checked out, as each evening and morning during out stay we observed lines of up to five persons for each desk.

Several elevators are close to check in. We did not observe anyone to help with the bags. Ours have rollers and were no problem. We were not offered Bell Hop service either.

Once in the elevator you have to use your room key to activate the elevator to travel to your floor. A form of security that was easy to use.

This is a smallish feeling and looking hotel. Like a boutique style hotel in some respects. Hallway was narrow, but clean and well lit.

Upon entering the room, on floor NINE, we were greeted with a modern, updated and new looking room. The furniture looked new, like a recent remodel. Great. Large king bed. Large pillows, but no sofa to sit on. There is a desk with a desk chair.

As we were staying for four nights we wanted to unpack, oops no dresser, not drawers of any kind to put clothes. Not closet so everything stayed in suit cases for the entire time. We did not like this, but adjusted.

Bathroom again looked new, but oops no bathtub. My wife was so looking forward to a bath after our long air flight to New York. They had a shower stall only.

A/C worked well.

Problem night was that they did maintenance on the boiler and then could not complete it. For two days we did not have hot water. The manager did provide us with a free breakfast for the inconvenience when we asked her for it.

They provided a coffee maker in the with Starbucks coffee. Staff was friendly and helpful with the tourist information questions.

You are close to several subway locations. We had no problem taking the subway to Times Square and to the Port Authority station for the Circle Line cruise tour. We took the subway to see a play on 42nd Street.

We did walk about five minutes from the hotel to a restaurant. Limit locations near the hotel.

The hotel does have a restaurant. We ate one dinner there and it was nice and not too pricey. We were disappointed with the breakfast choice. Our first morning we went to the hotel restaurant and were told there was only a buffet choice for $14.95 and there was no menu service. We wanted to order from a menu so we set out on our own for a location. We ended up a Juniors deli for breakfast and it was very good and not a far walk from the hotel.

Armando the restaurant manager was aware of the hot water difficulty and gave us each a glass of wine in apology for the inconvenience.

The hot water was a problem, but just like at home it the hot water heater goes out you have to wait for the plumber to get it fixed. The hotel was on top of the issue and kept us informed my letters under our door as each step was taken to fix the boiler. This is an issue that would be rare and should not stop you from considering this hotel for your stay.

Oh, the bed was great. Comfortable and the bedding was very nice.

You can walk to the Brooklyn Bridge, about fifteen minutes walk. It was a real treat to walk on the bridge at sunset and be surprised by the hundreds of other tourist also there all taking photos.

Room Tip: Great for access to the subway, but you are not in the city so you have to travel to see the sights...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks so much for the comprehensive review. Many guests choose to stay at our hotel the night prior to or following their cruise.

Thanks too for commending our staff, the location, and of course our world renowned sweet sleeper mattress. I'll be certain to share the news with our team

We look forward to being your host in the near future

New York City, New York
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I travel to Brooklyn a lot, and I keep coming back to the Sheraton because (1) the rooms are extraordinarily clean and comfortable with undoubtedly the best bed in the industry; (2) the hotel is so conveniently located with incredible ease to get to anywhere in Manhattan or Brooklyn; (3) the entire staff is remarkably friendly and accommodating; and (4) the hotel amenities -- most notably the bar and restaurant -- are outstanding.

Whether you're a business traveler, family touring NYC, or young college kid hanging around in this really bustling and fun part of Brooklyn, this hotel will be a perfect and affordable choice. It's not perfect by any means, but I have never ever had any issue whatsoever the very attentive staff didn't try to rectify. You might read some reviews about a 12-hour hot water outage, but hotel management placed memos in each room updating us on the situation, and was more than accommodating in terms of making alternative arrangements available (next door at their sister property). While it was a minor inconvenience, things like this will happen from time to time, but I'm going to keep returning to this hotel regardless. Sure, the elevators can be a bit slow during high peak hours (maybe once per week on a Monday night or Friday morning when people with lots of bags are coming/going), but I've yet to stay in a cleaner, friendlier, and more hospitable hotel. As for other nuisances like magnetic card keys being unpredictable or some construction noise around the block, I've come to expect that downtown Brooklyn isn't going to be crickets-chirping-at-night type of quiet, and truly appreciate this hotel for what it is -- a downright nice and clean place with an extraordinary staff. Don't miss the bar/restaurant on the lobby level (called Grubstake), because it's one of the best hotel bars I've ever been to, with a great menu, amazing and friendly staff, and pleasant vibe and atmosphere.

One last thing -- the people and service in this hotel are what make it memorable and pleasant, and they're the reason I think this hotel is a place worth recommending to everyone. There are so many people in this hotel who are truly there to make your stay more comfortable, and would do whatever they can to keep you happy. Marie runs an outstanding team, and I'd give a special shout-out to Damien and Stephanie at the front desk (with lots of help from Chris, Fred, and Nigel); Dinah and Charlotte at the bar; and Wanda in the Club Room. There are loads of other people behind the scenes who are true professionals at what they do (like Amando, Sergio, Rasheeda) and whenever my travels take me to NYC, I wouldn't even consider staying elsewhere.

Room Tip: Just ask the very courteous staff for what you want -- quiet, sunny, corner, whatever -- and they al...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank wingding718
MarieKupfer, General Manager at Sheraton Brooklyn New York Hotel, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Thank you for your great review and recognizing so many of our staff members. I wouldn't expect anything less and have asked that copies of your note go into everyones personnel file. Thanks also for mentioning that Downtown Brooklyn is the hottest, most exciting place to be.

Thank you for being Starwood loyal. Safe travels and be sure to come and visit us soon.

Marie J Kupfer