Sheraton Brooklyn New York Hotel
$200
$193
Agoda.com
1,246 results
All reviewsthe club loungenew yorkself parkfulton mallduffield streetstarbucks coffeecheesecakestatue of libertyjay stfront desk stafftwo blockscar servicebarclays centersubway stationrooftop barlobbynyc
Reviewed June 18, 2012

I think this place is fine and I would not be unhappy if I had to stay here again however with so many choices in NYC I would NOT choose to.

The reason is not the hotel itself as it is clean and tidy, or the location, as it is a good spot close to transport and lots of shops, although they close early - it comes down to the feeling/vibe/service of the place - I feel like they are sneaky scammers.

They leave 2 bottles of water in the room with a complimentary slip on one of the bottle necks. I think most people would assume that the water was free - we learned at check out that only the bottle with the slip on it was free - the other was $3.50 plus tax - I found this sneaky and very unwelcoming. I am not the only person this happened to as I heard other customers mention it - I think this should be made clearer for customers. When I mentioned this at checkout no comment was made by the staff, I was just stared at blankly.

If you claim the $5 voucher for not getting your room serviced keep in mind your room is not touched at all. We did not get our room serviced the first day and had to ask 4 times for the $5 voucher - we got it 3 days later - just a little thing but each time we asked we had to explain it all again and there seemed to be some skepticism about us not getting the voucher in the first place.

Upon check out I told staff I was paying for my room and my parents room. My parents also told him this. He made the error of putting the bill for my room on my credit card and charged my parents room to their credit card (the hotel had these details already for incidentals) - I only picked this up later and had to go back to the hotel after we had checked out and moved to our Manhattan hotel for the week - it took some time to sort it out as it seemed too confusing for staff to understand what I wanted and what had happened - it was quickly cleared up once they got the office manager. Basically if I did not notice this and go back that day it would have cost my parents approx $60 in fees as they would have had to pay the 3% international fee on their credit card where as my card does not charge it. Basically the staff member did not listen as I made it very very clear what I wanted.

We then asked the staff member who checked us out to call us a cab - 5 minutes later he had the hotels car service picking us up - he did not tell us this he just assumed that we would want to pay a fortune to use the hotel car service. Only after did he tell us he could not call us a cab.

So although these things are not a massive problems they add up and I did not feel welcome - my parents had the same feeling too.

The second week we spent at Chelsea Pines Inn was a similar price, everything included (breakfast, bottles of water, coffee, phone calls etc), no hidden charges and the staff were very warm and welcoming.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
MarieKupfer, General Manager at Sheraton Brooklyn New York Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2012

A breif note of thanks for your comments. In this way we improve on our product and services.
I am so sorry we did not do a great job of making you feel welcome. At the end of our day, that is our single most important role as hoteliers.

We are proud to have recently rolled out the Green Choice Program which helps us conserve our resources and allows guests either a $5 credit per night or 500 points. Perhaps we still have a few kinks to work out.

PLease be certain to advise me when your travels bring you back to the Brooklyn area. I would like to personally oversee your stay.

Reviewed June 9, 2012

The hotel location, staff, the rooms and service could not be falted. The beds are great you don't want to get up :). Only thing I could falt there is no fridge in the room. Highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012
2  Thank Ozmisty
MarieKupfer, General Manager at Sheraton Brooklyn New York Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2012

WOW what a great review for a General Manager to wake up to.

Thank you so very much.

Marie J. Kupfer

Reviewed June 4, 2012

I stayed here with 3 colleagues/friends, while on a business trip to NY. We had booked adjoining rooms. Despite asking for early check in, (our flight was delayed so we didn't arrive till check in anyway) one room was not ready, and it was well after 3PM, so the 2 in that room were moved to another floor. You cannot visit another floor, as your room key must go into the elevator, and only allows you onto the floor your room is on. After one night on separate floors, they were moved next to us, as we had asked.
It did seem a little chaotic in the front desk area, and it was busy over the weekend in the hotel. Monday and Tuesday were less crazy.
I think it is the biggest rip-off in the world when "business" hotels charge an additional fee for wifi. The lobby is small and busy,..who would want to sit there and work? We were given a wifi code to use for our rooms,..I think perhaps because we were Starwood Preferred guests,..or due to the problem with the adjoining rooms. Whatever the case, we had free wifi in our rooms, which is how it should be anyway.
The hotel is extremely convenient, whether you are travelling to Manhattan. the airports, etc. A subway stop down the street, and away you go. Several cab driver's we had did not know the location of the hotel, so I had the google map page saved on my iphone so I could give directions!
The area around the hotel is perhaps a bit sketchy..construction and closed business fronts, but only a few blocks and you are close to a busy main artery with shops, and some fantastic old Brooklyn neighbourhoods.
We did travel to Manhattan much of our stay, as the purpose of our business was there.
It is definitely worth considering this hotel if you don't mind walking a bit and taking the subway.
The elevators worked, the staff was nice, the rooms were clean and the beds extremely comfortable, so the rest doesn't matter so much. I did not see any bedbugs..and my friend who was in the same room with me travelled throughout Australia at the height of bedbug madness, and said it is unmistakeable if they are there. None here.
I would stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank eeeandess

Thank you so much for all the hotel accolades in your comprehensive review. And yes the hotel has become very very busy throughout the week. The volume of business may be more recognizable on the weekend as there are families staying as opposed to the single business traveller mid week.

In either case I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and will be returning to us.

Safe travels and thank you for being Starwood loyal.

Reviewed May 29, 2012

Overall, this is a great hotel. My room was clean and well decorated. Upon arrival, I was greeted by Matt at the front desk. He proved to be the friendliest of the desk staffers.

The lobby is modern and has wifi along with a couple desktop computers for guest use.There is a common area with big windows onto the street. There is a bar, but it was not in use, which is disappointing.

The hotel restaurant was really disappointing, the food quality was acceptable but the flavors were lacking. Some servers were attentive, while others were not.

This hotel would have gotten a much higher rating from me except for a couple things: 1-My room while well appointed was very small. The lack of drawer space and room for emptied suitcases was disappointing. 2-The restaurant. As mentioned, the service was spotty. Some great bartenders, but some mediocre servers.

Even with the small rooms, I would stay here again. It is NYC after all, so smaller rooms are to be expected.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
MarieKupfer, General Manager at Sheraton Brooklyn New York Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2012

We also like to think the Sheraton is a great choice in Brooklyn. Thanks for recognizing Matt as one of our Superstars. I will be certain to pass along your comments to our Food and Beverage Director regarding the service. I find this surprising as we often get rave reviews about the service and food quality.

Thank you for your continueed loyalty to Starwood Hotels and we look forward to being your host in the near future.

Reviewed May 28, 2012

I stayed last night and it was one of the worst hotel experiences of my life. The hotel nickles and dimes you (despite the reservation coming with "free internet", only the internet in the lobby is free. Wi Fi in the rooms costs extra. Room service was poor and the service was slow.

However, the worst part is that I woke up in middle of the night with welts and bites all over my arms and legs. I barely slept due to this and in the morning went downstairs to report it. The hotel staff were dismissive and basically clearly wanted to get me to leave so that no one else would know about it.

Appalling. Do not stay here.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank Elle O
MarieKupfer, General Manager at Sheraton Brooklyn New York Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2012

As you can imagine, an organization of our size conducts extensive training and has preventative measures in place in this regard. The room was checked within hours of your claim by our staff as well as an outside company and came up with negative results.

Please feel free to contact the hotel directly so i may personally answer any additional questions or comments you may have

Marie J Kupfer