“Great new hotel near Brooklyn Heights”

Sheraton Brooklyn New York Hotel
Ranked #24 of 74 Hotels in Brooklyn
Reviewed March 1, 2012

We were in Brooklyn in order to see a friend of ours make her New York City Opera debut at BAM (Brooklyn Academy of Music) and, as usual, came to TripAdvisor to find our hotel and restaurant. The Sheraton is a clean, bright new building within easy walking distance of BAM, Brooklyn Heights, the promenade, dumbo, etc.

We had a very nice king room on the 22nd floor. Elevators are fast and service is polite, friendly and efficient. We interacted with several people at the front desk and all were very helpful and pleasant. The price was great and parking was simple and inexpensive ($24 for 24-hours).

Bathroom was great, bed was super comfortable, all-in-all we had a great experience celebrating our friend's NYCO debut! Thanks to the staff at the Sheraton!

Room Tip: ask the concierge to show you a map of interesting areas within walking distance of the hotel. We d...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SnDArmstrong
MarieKupfer, General Manager at Sheraton Brooklyn New York Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2012

Sounds like a perfect stay to me. There's nothing we like hearing better than that and congratulations to your friend for making her NYC Opera debut at BAM.

Be sure to come and visit us soon.

Marie J Kupfer

Write a ReviewReviews (1,216)

Reviewed February 27, 2012

We took the kids and stayed a few nights in Manhattan a few in Brooklyn. I'm from NYC and knew the area wasn't too hot, but i also knew we weren't doing a whole lotta night activities. The rooms are nice size for NY standards and they have a pool-although they closed it for some kind of class and never mentioned that. The kids were a little disappointed. Rooms were clean, staff not terrible but not great either, the exception was the doorman who was always there to catch us a cab. Brooklyn is awesome-this hotel is situated near a major subway hub, but get a map, it can be a bit confusing. Make sure you stop Junior's for some cheesecake and Grimaldi's for some pizza. Good price, nice size room was what we were looking for, so overall we were pleased.

• Stayed: August 2011
3  Thank Karen E

Aaahh yes juniors and grimaldis. Let's not forget the Queen Marie Restaurant, walking the Brooklyn Bridge, stopping off at TKTS so you can catch a show or our very own Grubstake Restauant for a meal or two.

I see the last time you were with us was in August. It may be time to make another trip to Brooklyn. Be sure to contact me directly when you are ready to make your travel arrangements

Reviewed February 27, 2012

We live in Brooklyn and went here for a one night getaway with the kids to enjoy the pool and relax with some room service and some in room movies. So, as I said, we live in Brooklyn and this is on a small side street, but, we were able to find it ok. It is just blocks from several subway lines and they would bring you into the city in minutes. So, a bit off the beaten path, yet easy to get around. There is also the Fulton street mall just down the block.

We arrived 30 minutes early and were told the room wasn't ready. So, we walked around the mall and did some light shopping. Upon checking in, we learned the pool was closed for maintenance. Ugh. So, I thought, we can just fill the bathtub up. Good thing I didn't say that outloud bc the modern bathroom did not have a tub. Huge bummer for the kids.

Room service was ok. Limited menu. Nothing too amazing, but decent food. Movie selection was on par with all hotels. So, we enjoyed some food and a couple of movies.

I would think this hotel would be ok for out of town guests. The room was small, but nicely done. New and modern, very clean.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family

Thanks so much for your comments regarding the Sheraton Brooklyn. I'm so sorry our pool was closed for maintenance when you were with us. I can imagine the kids were really dissappointed. In our effort to maintain the highest standards possible, we do need to modify hours and or close for a few days from time to time.

Since you live in Brooklyn please call me at the hotel. Though the pool is not open to the public, perhaps we can arrange a time when you can bring the kids by for a quick swim. We look forward to being your host in the near future

Reviewed February 22, 2012

I guess I shouldn't complain with this being NYC, but my bedromm at home is bigger than my room here. I have platinum status and stay on a preferred guest floor, but it doesn't seem to help. The conceirge lounge is on the second floor, so I have to wait for an elevator to go down, then wait for an elevator to go back up, usually about 18 floors.

This is my second stay at this hotel (7th night) and I ended up walking about an extra half-mile trying to find this place because they have it right next to an Aloft, another SPG property, and you can barely see it. Is it fit to say that it may not be that popular when you tell a taxi driver the Brooklyn Sheraton, then Brooklyn, Duffield St, then "just get me to Court St", and finally just end up settling on getting over the Brooklyn Bridge on the Brooklyn side and trying to direct through all the one-way streets from there? Though some drivers have been working longer than others and some prefer city trips instead, still doesn't bode well.

So far their concierge lounge is ok, I say ok only because I seems like there may be a rotation that will get old as they ususally do. The staff has been very accomodating though. I would say their staff is what bumps this hotel up to an average rating as opposed to a poor rating.

Room Tip: Suites are lower floors with not much view but balcony, if u can upgrade and want a room with a view...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
MarieKupfer, General Manager at Sheraton Brooklyn New York Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 29, 2012

Every review always mentions what a great staff we have along with a brand new hotel. Thank you so much for this and for choosing Starwood hotels for your business needs

Please be certain to stop by my office on your next visit to the hotel. Id love to say a personal hello. Berkley College and Hoyt Street may be two good landmarks you can offer to the cab drivers

Thanks again for your kind words and we look forward to being your host in the near future

Reviewed February 22, 2012

Since Manhattan hotel rates have increased so much lately we decided to give this Brooklyn hotel a try. The hotel is new so our room was nice and clean and the beds were very comfortable. We had two double beds and were very cramped in the room. There was a small closet we used to hang our coats but had to leave our luggage in the small hallway in front of the bathroom. So in my opinion, the rooms are very similar in size to those in many Manhattan hotels. I also felt the entrance to the hotel and the lobby (not sure if the game room is considered the lobby) was a bit cramped, but we did not decide to stay there to have a nice open lobby either. I did not explore the rest of the hotel so can't comment on that.

It is true what other posts say about the car accessibility to the hotel. When we arrived from the airport, the taxi left us a block away because the driver was not able to figure out how to access the street. Access to Manhattan is convenient: the R train (2 blocks away) for the East side and the 2 or 3 trains (3 blocks away) for the West side. We took the train back to the hotel as late as 10pm and had no issues. We did sense that the R station (Metro Tech) is a bit more lonely than the 2-3 station (Hoyt). The streets in the area do get lonely so need to exercise a bit of caution as in any other city.

We stayed at this hotel with our 2 kids (6 and 4) and noticed that for them it was inconvenient having to take the train to get into the city and back to the hotel. Also staying in Brooklyn makes quick, mid-day stops in the hotel an inconvenience since you have to take a 15-20 min subway ride each way, wait for the train, etc. So next time we visit NYC we will go back to our midtown hotel if we travel with this kids, but would consider staying at this Sheraton again if we travel without them.

1  Thank mercimocu

Thank you for mentioning what a "nice and clean" hotel the Sheraton Brooklyn is and how convenient it is to get to the heart of Manhattan. The 8 subway lines all located within two blocks of the hotel make for that easy access.

As for the children, many families stay at the property to get in an early morning or late night swim. Of course the walk or bike ride across the Brooklyn Bridge provides breathtaking views of the City

We look forward to being your host in the near future

Reviewed February 21, 2012

I just spent the weekend at the Sheraton Brooklyn and I could not have been happier. The rooms are spacious, the beds are AMAZING, and the location is perfect. Right in the heart of Brooklyn and within walking distance to all of the hip neighborhoods. With the train only one block away, getting around was very easy. We had no problems getting to 5th Ave, Times Square, and Grand Central.

You can't find a more comfortable, convenient hotel for the price. As a matter of fact, I have already made my reservation to return in 2 weeks!

Room Tip: As always, ask for an upgrade. You never know!
1  Thank Feelinbeachy43

So glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and are returning again next week. Aside from the great value, many of our guests do comment on how easy it is to get into Manhattan.

Please be certain to say a quick hello when you return to the Sheraton Brooklyn

Reviewed February 7, 2012

I was pleasantly surprised at how wonderful my stay was. The front desk staff was amazing! Welcoming, professional with a real sense that they care about you, the traveler. My newly renovated room was beautiful. The Sheraton bed at this property is amazingly comfortable, more so than the Euro Ikea styled beds next door at The Aloft. This area of Brooklyn gets very quiet on the roads after 9 pm and I could not believe how quiet it was compared to staying in the city. There is a great rooftop bar so the top floor may have a bit more noise, however my room on the 10th floor was quiet.

After arriving we walked 3 blocks to the Jay Street Subway station and took the R train into the city. Canal & Broadway is 4 stops away. Rode the subway back at 8:30pm from the city, no problems. 1 block from the hotel starts the Fulton Mall, it's is a pedestrian street and transit mall that runs on Fulton Street between Flatbush Avenue and Adams Street.

The Wifi in the room was fast. They had Town Cars outside for a $35 fare to LaGuardia airport in the morning. My room rate was $129, however they had prepaid rate specials available for $100 on the Starwood website.

Highly recommended, great staff, great property.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank CalP0ly
MarieKupfer, General Manager at Sheraton Brooklyn New York Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2012

Thank you so much for your kind words about our brand new Sheraton, the Brooklyn Terrace, our staff and location. Your accolades were endless. I'll be certain to pass along to the entire team and we look forward to being your host in the near future