“Convenient and Affordable”

Sheraton Brooklyn New York Hotel
Ranked #24 of 74 Hotels in Brooklyn
Reviewed July 19, 2011

The Brooklyn Sheraton was a great discovery. The area is being renovated but the hotel is on the subway line into Manhattan, it takes just minutes to be in Lower Manhattan. Way better hotel prices than in the city! The rooms are small but nicely furnished, new, and clean. This hotel is really a hidden little gem. The DUMBO area is nearby and loved walking the Brooklyn Promenade and nearby streets with their charming brownstones. The Park Slope area with it's restaurants is a short subway hop east.

2  Thank Henlely
MarieKupfer, General Manager at Sheraton Brooklyn New York Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2011

So glad to hear you had a wonderful time while at the Sheraton Brooklyn Hotel. I will be certain to pass your comments along to our staff.

Please be certain to let me know when your travels bring you back this way. I would like to personally make your reservation and oversee your stay.

Marie Kupfer

Write a ReviewReviews (1,208)

Reviewed July 19, 2011

I was here on business and asked to upgrade to a terrace room so I could work outside and enjoy the nice summer weather. The terrace was large, but had NO patio furniture. I asked 4 times for patio furniture and never received it. The room is nice, but very small. The wait staff in the dining areas are nice. NO taxi's knew how to get to the hotel and it's not the best neighborhood. Maybe in another couple of years the area will pick up. The ALoft hotel shares the same building.

Room Tip: There is no patio furniture for Terrace rooms. Waste of money. Free wi-fi in public areas, but not i...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business

Thanks so much for your review on the Sheraton Brooklyn. We have made certain that all our terrace rooms now have outdoor furniture so you might enjoy the weather outside. As for the immediate area, thankfully the major construction on adjacent buildings have been coimpleted.

Looking forward to being your host in the near future.

Reviewed July 18, 2011

After a 3 night stay at this beautiful hotel, with very nice staff, sad to say, I would seriously consider trying to find a different hotel if I were to return. This is even after we were given a free upgrade to a very large, modern, sleek, comfortable room. As many have posted, this is a very sketchy area, especially at night. We definately were freaked out trying to navigate our way back to our hotel from the subway each night. We would take the subway into Manhattan each morning, to visit the tourist attractions (statue of liberty, top of the rock, central park, etc.) and return to the hotel in the evening. By the time we would return it would be dark and we had to try and make our way back with our map... the looks we got from the locals were very scary. I prayed we would not get mugged. The hotel staff originally instructed us to exit the subway on Jay. On the last night of our stay, before getting back on the subway, to return to our hotel we decided to call the hotel to explain our concern returning each night, and they explained to us to instead exit on Hoyt. This subway exit ended up to be a lot closer (less walking in the dark). I was a little upset that we were not given these original instructions. My daughter and I were very nervous even with my 6 foot husband by our side. The hotel should consider a shuttle to and from this subway stop, 24 hours. Additionally, if you want to stay in a hotel, centrally located in NYC, where you can return to your room during the afternoon, this is not it. For example (we had very busy days), one day, we did not have time to navigate the subway to return to shower and change at the hotel, in between the statue of liberty tour and a Broadway performance. So we ended up being the most casually dressed family at the Broadway show. Final note, the upgrade (I mentioned above) was great, except it moved us down from a top floor to the fourth floor. This made Friday morning between 2 am & 6 am really NOISY!! The dump trucks came through and we all were woken up and could not get back to sleep. I am a very deep sleeper, I can usually sleep through everything, but, seriously it was that noisy. The trucks, and the guys working the trucks were extremeley loud. This is just not a hotel for newbies to NY. We were there for the first time from California. It is hard enough trying to navigate the subway system so if you are visiting for the first time I highly recommend you do not stay here. If you are thinking you will just take cabs instead to avoid subway /walking confusion... that will not work either. We jumped in a few cabs after getting turned around in Brooklyn, and 2 out of 3 of them did not even know were the hotel was. I had to show them on google maps on my iphone and navigate the cab driver to our hotel. It was ridiculous. Then we would get charged for the cab driver getting lost (the meter was still running!) As for, the "nice street around the corner" that everyone mentions in this review, we never saw it. We were never even informed of this "nicer near by street." Additionally, there is not free coffee in the morning in the lobby (most hotels offer this). I also wanted to speak with someone about tours, sights, etc. and there was not a concierge or anyone available to speak with. I finally found discount coupons for all the sights we went to on the very last day! Bummer, could have saved a lot of money, if the hotel staff had just pointed out the coupons in the lobby during check in. Finally, internet use is $15 dollars a day, unless you use the main lobby computers. I didn't mind that so much....except when I went down to the lobby on Saturday morning and all of the computers were taken by one big group (there was a large family reunion going on). I had to wait 20 minutes to jump online. So bottom line, if you are a tourist or with your family, this is not the place to stay. On the other hand, if you are going on business and know the subway system very well, or just want to stay in the Brooklyn area... and are not going to venture out, this would be a good option.

Reviewed July 17, 2011

We stayed here for four nights in late June, after spending a week at the Sheraton in Boston. The Sheraton in Brooklyn is more a Four Points by Sheraton than a Sheraton.
Rooms are very small, and we didn't even have anywhere to put our clothes away. The foyer is small, and the (small) pool is only open for a limited time in the late afternoon - evening, due to the requirement to have a lifeguard on duty.

One of the reasons I selected this hotel was that I thought it would be great to enjoy a swin during the day, or after returning for a morning in Manhattan. The lifts were small and there was often a wait for a lift.. The area equipped with computers in the foyer was small.

It is really like a little minuture version of a Sheraton Hotel.

Having said that we got a great deal on Hotwire, and the hotel is located near a number of subways stops to get into Mnahattan, or Brighton Beach or other areas.

I loved the surrounding area, and really enjoyed walking around the local streets and shops. We always felt safe walking around at night, and there are lots of restraunts and shops just a short stroll away.

I woulkd have been very dissappointed if i had paid the rack rate, however I had reserached the property on TA and knew the rooms were small and the room was accptable at a discounted rate.

Jodi

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank jodi06
Reviewed July 17, 2011

We got a great rate on Travelzoo, and this hotel was worth every penny. We stayed on a club level floor and with a family of four the extra price was worth it! We took advantage of both the evening reception and morning breakfast and everything was very tasty and fresh.
Cannot say enough about the staff. They very so pleasant, cheerful and helpful!
The Brooklyn location was actually quite interesting and my girls enjoyed the nearby shopping, very different than our typical suburban mall for sure!!
Of course we were visiting the one day the subway broke down, while we were on it, and despite the pouring rain no cabs would agree to drive us to Brooklyn? Shame on you NYC cab drivers! Saw this happening to virtually every family trying to hail a cab. Shouldn't this be illegal? Oh well, rather that give in to a scam, we just walked around Manhattan until the subway came back on line.
We did not feel unsafe at all while walking around the hotel.
Juniors was a fun place for brunch too! Just a short walk away.
The subway is right across the street, but other stations and lines are nearby
The only problem with the location, is the one way streets have changed, so a GPS will send you in circles the wrong way, so a heads up to those driving in!
Our room was beautiful with a spectacular view of the River and Manhattan.
Hopefully the rates will stay lower here, we will definitely be back when visitng New York.

1  Thank WinfieldRDH
MarieKupfer, General Manager at Sheraton Brooklyn New York Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2011

Wow what a wonderful review on the Sheraton Brooklyn. I couldn't have said it better myself.

Thank you so much and thank you for choosing Starwood Hotels.

Reviewed July 16, 2011

The street the hotel is on is a little creepy. Most of the businesses and restaurants are closed or boarded up. However,all you have to do is go one block either way for stores and restaurants. The hotel itself was very nice. The rooms were very clean and roomy for N.Y. Most of the staff were attentive and helpful. The bar in the lobby was a nice addition and there is a restaurant in the hotel

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family

Thank you so much for your kind words regarding the Sheraton Brooklyn New York. I will be certain to pass your kind words along to our staff.

I hope you were able to enjoy our suite sleeper mattress and a piece of cheescake from Juniors.

Safe travels

Reviewed July 15, 2011

The Sheraton Brooklyn is so new, it still has the smell of fresh paint in the lobby. It is very conveniently located in downtown Brooklyn--and the seemingly deserted feel of the block it is located on with change in a New York Minute. With convenient access to just about every major Subway line, the evolving Fulton Street Market and the service and comfort you expect from a Sheraton, this place will be popular very quickly. It's a full service establishment with a swimming pool, fitness facility, restaurant and friendly staff.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank FourDayTraveler
MarieKupfer, General Manager at Sheraton Brooklyn New York Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2011

It was so nice to wake up to this review of the Sheraton Brooklyn. You are correct in saying this property has become very popular very quickly. Great property and staff help make it a cozy get away for the weekend or a nice place to stay for business.

Please be sure to come and visit us soon. I look forward to being your host in the near future.

Regards,